Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan2017

They Fired Tom Allen!

16 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Probably gonna be a total rebuild either way now. Had a mass exit of talent last year and look for the same this year.

Totally agree, combine the mass exit with currently the worst recruiting class in BIG Ten(84th nationally per 247 sports, only 9 3 star commits) for the class of 2023. The longer Dolson waits to move on, the bigger the rebuild.

8 hours ago, WhiteyMcSpeed said:

Totally agree, combine the mass exit with currently the worst recruiting class in BIG Ten(84th nationally per 247 sports, only 9 3 star commits) for the class of 2023. The longer Dolson waits to move on, the bigger the rebuild.

He's so waiting until 2025 to make a move.  That's the part that depresses me.

2 hours ago, IUFootballEndlessMisery said:

He's so waiting until 2025 to make a move.  That's the part that depresses me.

That happens, the entire fan base will be gone.  I'm hearing Allen is in "win now" mode trying to save his @$$ and looking almost exclusively at transfers instead of freshmen.  That's fool's gold and a house of cards.  This program's a mess and it starts at the top.

3 hours ago, Old Friend said:

That happens, the entire fan base will be gone.  I'm hearing Allen is in "win now" mode trying to save his @$$ and looking almost exclusively at transfers instead of freshmen.  That's fool's gold and a house of cards.  This program's a mess and it starts at the top.

After a couple of years as the head coach every year should be in "win now" mode. If he's relying on transfers, he should quit.  

8 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

After a couple of years as the head coach every year should be in "win now" mode. If he's relying on transfers, he should quit.  

Right now, Allen is relying almost exclusively on transfers due to a failure on his part to develop his players, which is causing those players to realize that Indiana is a lost cause, so the only people who will play for Allen are people that, and I'll be blunt, flopped elsewhere or couldn't crack the rotation.

If it wasn't for that big @$$ contract, Allen would be fired, but we instead have to contend with "how long must we deal with this?"  I know that if and when Allen is sacked, most of the players will just leave Indiana anyway cause a coach firing always sees people go on the transfer portal cause they went to the school purely for the coach, but as much as supporting Indiana football is like the biblical tale of Job, the worst thing you can do to it is make us irrelevant.  We can't score, we can't defend, and those two years that made us look like we're on the right track have misfired spectacularly.  Indiana has always had periods where things looked miserable, but I don't think it has been as miserable as this, as back in the day, we viewed a 5-6 season going to a 3-8 season as "frustrating, but typical".  We went from playing in January to losing to Rutgers.

On 11/7/2022 at 8:21 AM, Chris007 said:

I've heard some talk that CTA might talk to the administration about a negotiated buyout much lower than the 25 million due to some health reasons. Heart problems run in the Allen family and this season has not been good for Allen. Not sure if it's true or not but I did hear that at the end of last week. 

Chris, 

Have you heard anymore rumblings about this? 

33 minutes ago, IUFootballEndlessMisery said:

The latest excuse from Allen is "NILs are preventing us from being competitive".

Yes... about that.  While NIL expenses have hampered most schools from getting the top talent, to say that's the only reason why you can't compete is a failure to admit your own faults as a coach.

"NILs are for winners"

32 minutes ago, IUFootballEndlessMisery said:

The latest excuse from Allen is "NILs are preventing us from being competitive".

Yes... about that.  While NIL expenses have hampered most schools from getting the top talent, to say that's the only reason why you can't compete is a failure to admit your own faults as a coach.

I watched the very entertaining Washington/Oregon game and fondly remembered what it was like when we had a coach or two that actually developed a game plan that put players in the best position to win. We don't to have that anymore.

How again did NIL take that away?

Not directly related to Tom Allen other than to further accentuate O-line mishaps, but Peter Skoronoski will almost assuredly be the first OL taken in next year's NFL draft and not only is he from a neighboring state but I just realized his grandfather is in the IU Athletics Hall of Fame and was a 5-time champion with the Packers, and according to 247 and Rivals we did not even offer a scholarship.  He was out of our league from a ranking standpoint but so was McCullough and we used a family connection in that case. 

Maybe he told us no way right from the beginning or something, I just find it odd that we apparently didn't even try.

This is bordering on manic. I felt like I was watching Uncut Gems again. 

He isn’t wrong here, but I’m also not going to pay his players to help make up for his drastic lack of player development and in-game common sense. 

3 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

This is bordering on manic. I felt like I was watching Uncut Gems again. 

He isn’t wrong here, but I’m also not going to pay his players to help make up for his drastic lack of player development and in-game common sense. 

There's always been a massive talent gap between IUFB and many others in the B1G with or without NIL. 

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

There's always been a massive talent gap between IUFB and many others in the B1G with or without NIL. 

Always. A million dollars might distance us from Ball State, but it gets us no closer to his Big 3.

Just now, Hovadipo said:

Always. A million dollars might distance us from Ball State, but it gets us no closer to his Big 3.

Part of the issue is that Tom Allen had some real pre-NIL recruiting success, and therefore had lessened the talent gap between IU and others. NIL likely contributed to the return of the OSU/UM/PSU historic status quo.

NIL is also going to be a major benefit for IU in the sport where we are the big dog - basketball. Matt Painter is getting kneed in the nuts on NIL recruiting while we are finally able to stay within the rules while recruiting NIL savvy Montverde kids.

Blaming NIL on our recent dumpster fire seasons is a bad look for CTA in my opinion. Punting accountability for an inability to maintain a staff capable of developing the players that he has recruited. Recruiting classes have been historically better than arguably any time on paper, and the results are pitiful.  

I understand that the current environment is allowing power schools to tap into donors for large NIL pools to be paid out to the top talent....but we were never getting those kids anyways. Develop the talent you have, put a competitive product on the field, win some damn games and maybe...just maybe the money will come. 

Putting the blame on donors for IU stinking, because we aren't coughing up NIL money is hard to swallow. I would love to see the collective NIL money going to offensive lineman in the big ten.... 

And to be clear...we aren't only losing to the Big 3 Power Schools that Allen mentions. We can't beat anyone right now. 

1 hour ago, craigyv88 said:

Not directly related to Tom Allen other than to further accentuate O-line mishaps, but Peter Skoronoski will almost assuredly be the first OL taken in next year's NFL draft and not only is he from a neighboring state but I just realized his grandfather is in the IU Athletics Hall of Fame and was a 5-time champion with the Packers, and according to 247 and Rivals we did not even offer a scholarship.  He was out of our league from a ranking standpoint but so was McCullough and we used a family connection in that case. 

Maybe he told us no way right from the beginning or something, I just find it odd that we apparently didn't even try.

Northwestern pays more?

This is interesting. A 100% unscientific, off the cuff, without any evidence case study in NIL for IU. According to IU's website there are 760K graduates of IU. To use conservative numbers, let's just start with the 415K that are grads of IU-Bloomington. Let's assume 20% of that number actually care about football, so 83,000. Of that, maybe 2/3rds of people recognize NIL is a legitimate and necessary thing and are willing to contribute some amount of money to help the IU football program. So now we're down to ~50,000. This doesn't consider grads of other campuses and other fans that aren't alums. If we set a realistic goal for IU football to be a middle of the pack Big Ten program, let's assume our NIL contribution totals will be in line with that, so also middle of the pack. So maybe $5M toward collectives to pay players? That would mean an average donation of $100 across those 50,000 alums to get there. Considering 1 person was willing to contribute $1M, that average donation for the rest is down to $80. Is it doable?  

Is that $1 million specific to football? If not, we should use the whole $1 million on basketball. Might bring us back JHS and Reneau or land us a big 5 star in the 2023 class. Football is a lost cause until Allen is fired. Spending NIL money on it is as useful as lighting your money on fire.