Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan2017

They Fired Tom Allen!

9 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

"On December 6, 2020, none of us would have seen the current situation coming, even if we figured the 2020 level of success wasn’t sustainable." 

That's not really true. Some didn't believe, even then, that Allen was a good coach who could continue the success he found in those extreme circumstances. I'm not at all surprised we're were we're at.

There’s a pretty fine line between thinking there’s no way this is sustainable and seeing 1 B1G win in the next 2 seasons coming. Even the most pessimistic fan has to be blown away by how bad things went so quickly right?

Or maybe not. In which case, 2 gold stars I guess. 

10 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

There’s a pretty fine line between thinking there’s no way this is sustainable and seeing 1 B1G win in the next 2 seasons coming. Even the most pessimistic fan has to be blown away by how bad things went so quickly right?

Would be interested to know if there was something beyond the Hiller friction to cause Coach McCollough to leave. ND obviously the superior college destination, just curious to leave the Super Bowl Chiefs for IU and then leave a year later

56 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

I'm not gonna say I was definitive about it... But all I could think about was Kansas... And look where we are... We suck. 

Edit: Kansas' downfall went way slower than ours. But they had two good seasons back to back. They won 12 and then 8. We won 8 and 6(but were ranked Top 10)... Then for them, it was 5 wins, 3 wins, 2 wins, 1 win, 3, 3, 0 wins in 2015.. so I sorta had a gut feeling of what was coming.

1 hour ago, go iu bb said:

"On December 6, 2020, none of us would have seen the current situation coming, even if we figured the 2020 level of success wasn’t sustainable." 

That's not really true. Some didn't believe, even then, that Allen was a good coach who could continue the success he found in those extreme circumstances. I'm not at all surprised we're were we're at.

The hope was he could out recruit his coaching ability and lack of discipline and maybe maintain a.500 program but that was obviously too much to ask.

10 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I'm not gonna say I was definitive about it... But all I could think about was Kansas... And look where we are... We suck. 

Edit: Kansas' downfall went way slower than ours. But they had two good seasons back to back. They won 12 and then 8. We won 8 and 6(but were ranked Top 10)... Then for them, it was 5 wins, 3 wins, 2 wins, 1 win, 3, 3, 0 wins in 2015.. so I sorta had a gut feeling of what was coming.

The bowl games told us where this was headed TBH.

29 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Mangino had a run from 2003-2009 that IUFB fans would kill for then it turned out he was basically Kevin Wilson that could win, got ran out, and they proceeded to get every single thing wrong with their program until they hired Leipold. I'm not sure the situations are that similar other than both being basketball schools. They had to buy out their coach to cause things to go south while we just let ours do it himself.

1 hour ago, kreigh8 said:

Would be interested to know if there was something beyond the Hiller friction to cause Coach McCollough to leave. ND obviously the superior college destination, just curious to leave the Super Bowl Chiefs for IU and then leave a year later

My guess is the writing was on the wall on the inside for what was likely coming. Couple that with ND calling and the decision made itself without even including if he did or didn't like Hiller.

6 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Even as an Allen skeptic I admit I didn’t see things falling apart so quickly. We were told we had added talent and depth to compete but we sunk to MAC level over the course of one season.

We thought it was talent and depth, but it seems it was really just a good offensive scheme and offensive mind. Once that left, we were back to the same old team, and now that offense is doing well at Washington.

When you miss this bad on extending a coach, you are going to hurt longer than the extension was for.  We are going to continue to stink while he's coaching which in turns hurts the program recruiting and by the time Allen's gone, I can't imagine the talent void we'll have.  But let's face it.....IU isn't going to spent that kind of money on buying out Tom Allen because financially our football program isn't worth that much.  We aren't going to be filling the stadium (with our own fans at least) if the team was playing well.

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

When you miss this bad on extending a coach, you are going to hurt longer than the extension was for.  We are going to continue to stink while he's coaching which in turns hurts the program recruiting and by the time Allen's gone, I can't imagine the talent void we'll have.  But let's face it.....IU isn't going to spent that kind of money on buying out Tom Allen because financially our football program isn't worth that much.  We aren't going to be filling the stadium (with our own fans at least) if the team was playing well.

That sums up the situation nicely. Sad but true.

I’m mean, sure, yeah. Of course. Then what? There is zero platform at IU to succeed in football. I like TA, the man, I root for him. Clearly, he’s in over his head. A change is necessary as he’s lost the team and whatever momentum he had. Next guy will be in the exact same boat unless other efforts are made.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners