Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan2017

They Fired Tom Allen!

23 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Side note: Why do teams/athletic programs reward coaches for okay results? Colts gave Reich, along with Ballard, a contract extension after ONE freakin playoff win. They've been a .500 team since the contract extension. Just like Glass giving Crean one after ONE good year. I don't get it...

With the Colts, I think it's just Irsay's continued attempts to make the organization feel like one big happy family. He tries so hard to not be like his dad, even if it ultimately proves detrimental to the team (Bob Irsay once fired a coach at halftime of a preseason game). 

In college athletics, there's just so much pressure on people to perform or be replaced. It's absolutely crazy, and I'm not sure it will change for the better any time soon. Everyone (including us) wants to win, and win now, and they're willing to throw money at anyone who appears to be an upgrade over what they currently have. The teams who have successful coaches are paying them, because if they don't, someone else will. It doesn't take much to impress disgruntled fans and their short attention spans these days, because if they aren't busy yearning for a time when they used to be good, they're usually wondering why they aren't keeping up with the Joneses. Then you have all the armchair QB's who send threatening emails to athletic directors saying they'll cancel their season tickets if nothing changes, players transferring, graduating and transferring again, recruits changing their minds while the ink dries on their LOI's...throw all this in a blender, and you have the world of college athletics. This stuff is infuriating, and athletic directors have little control over it, so I think in some small way, huge contracts allow them to feel like they have some control over their own program. 

5 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Dolson is gonna have to decide how far he lets the program slide. Another year or two of Allen and there may be nothing left talent wise.

Yeah recruiting is really gonna tank soon

11 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

With the Colts, I think it's just Irsay's continued attempts to make the organization feel like one big happy family. He tries so hard to not be like his dad, even if it ultimately proves detrimental to the team (Bob Irsay once fired a coach at halftime of a preseason game). 

In college athletics, there's just so much pressure on people to perform or be replaced. It's absolutely crazy, and I'm not sure it will change for the better any time soon. Everyone (including us) wants to win, and win now, and they're willing to throw money at anyone who appears to be an upgrade over what they currently have. The teams who have successful coaches are paying them, because if they don't, someone else will. It doesn't take much to impress disgruntled fans and their short attention spans these days, because if they aren't busy yearning for a time when they used to be good, they're usually wondering why they aren't keeping up with the Joneses. Then you have all the armchair QB's who send threatening emails to athletic directors saying they'll cancel their season tickets if nothing changes, players transferring, graduating and transferring again, recruits changing their minds while the ink dries on their LOI's...throw all this in a blender, and you have the world of college athletics. This stuff is infuriating, and athletic directors have little control over it, so I think in some small way, huge contracts allow them to feel like they have some control over their own program. 

This is a phenomenal post. ADs really don’t have a choice but to give these obnoxious contracts. Part of the game is all of us getting mad when that contract inevitably ends up looking dumb, (unless you’re Bama and Saban) but I’m not sure what the alternative is. 

11 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Some schools can pay the big contracts and have no trouble finding buyout money when things go south. Others not so much. 

We need Mark Cuban to get involved.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

No. Not for IU football.

Three things:

Kelly School

Jacobs School 

IU Basketball.

That. Is. It.

Im not convinced we are truly behind IUBB either.  Nil above Market value for 3 to 4 seasons. Get the winning on the level as the Blue Bloods.  Boom, become a Blue Blood again. 

3 recruits a year. We paid over a million a year years ago on recruiting budget to often times get middling results. We have the wrong people making decisions.  There are ways to get it done. 

If we can’t compete in the NIL market (we can) then overseas players probably the next best option. Archie tried the Indiana approach. Painter relies heavily on that and wins.  Woodson has been really picky within the state. Which I’m good with. Get 3 studs a year. That’s the ticket. Jury will decide soon if  “clean” option let us compete in the national stage. 

Edited by WayneFleekHoosier

54 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Billionaires don’t become billionaires by wasting money on hopeless endeavors like iufb lol. 

Truer words were never spoken.

6 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

Some schools can pay the big contracts and have no trouble finding buyout money when things go south. Others not so much. 

Isn't the B1G network air-dropping pallets of cash on each member school every day? Not being snarky, I guess my question is how can IU not have enough money? On the one hand "we have to have all the schools in our conference for the TV $$'s!" on the other "we're too poor to buy out our coach."  Is Dolson using it all on hookers and coke? 

2 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Isn't the B1G network air-dropping pallets of cash on each member school every day? Not being snarky, I guess my question is how can IU not have enough money? On the one hand "we have to have all the schools in our conference for the TV $$'s!" on the other "we're too poor to buy out our coach."  Is Dolson using it all on hookers and coke? 

Yes.

Hookers and coke. Louisville is eyeing him.

20 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Dunno but we should be getting enough money to have Purdue or NW level success