Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan2017

They Fired Tom Allen!

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would assume they are talking about Assistant coaching salaries to get better coordinators.  I think they want a football only football training and weightlifting facilities. Probably want IU to go out and get a head coach with some experience than just hiring and assistant coach. They probably need new practice facilities. Probably want a bigger recruiting budget. Probably need to promote the football program more.

All of this. Thank you. And don’t tell me we don’t have the money. It’s there

12 minutes ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

So, according to what you are saying, they want to spend A LOT more money on basically facilities and coaches salaries.  So my follow up question to that is where is this money going to come from?  Are we not currently spending all of our athletic department income?  If we are, and I’m sure we are, are the people who want a ton more spending willing to put some skin in the game so we have more money to spend?

Hopefully with the new TV contracts there will be more money for IU to spend.  They also need better game day atmosphere in the stadium and have to find ways to sell out the stadium every game. They need to find away to keep fans in the stadium for the whole game.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Hopefully with the new TV contracts there will be more money for IU to spend.  They also need better game day atmosphere in the stadium and have to find ways to sell out the stadium every game. They need to find away to keep fans in the stadium for the whole game.

I’m sure the new TV contract will give us more money to spend.  It will also give all the other Big 10 schools more money.  So will it really help close the gap?  I will get out of my question-asking mode just to state that the game day atmosphere is mostly on the fans, and very little on the administration.  And yes, I understand that it’s difficult to expect fans to support a program that’s been so bad for so long.  I find it difficult to support myself.  But the administration isn’t responsible for fans staying out of the stadium to tailgate and leaving early.  That’s on the fans.

We are who we are. I've been watching this since around 1960. Except for a few odd bright times, bottom feeder is who we are. We will never, or at least not any time soon, compete with the powers in the conference. They fill huge stadiums, we can't fill our much smaller stadium. They have traditions going back generations. Coach Hep tried to do that here but never really got the chance. I have no idea what can be done here, but for my lifetime nothing has made a lasting difference. I'm tired of waiting and am done investing energy and emotion in Indiana football.

Hopefully Allen will display what he prides himself on,...a 'man of character' and lover of Indiana.  Paul Chryst gently left Madison for far less than his official buyout.  Maybe Allen will take responsibility for the situation he's put the program in. Not likely, but not unprecedented.

Oct. 29 - Bye Week

Nov. 5 -  Penn State in Bloomington         Loss

Nov. 12 - at Ohio State               Ugly Loss

Nov 19 - at Michigan State           Winnable game but not for this team.

Nov 26 - Bucket Game in Bloomington         I have no optimism for an IU win.

Nov. 27 - CTA becomes an ex-IU football coach.  One way or another the Allen era is over.     

Hopefully Allen will display what he prides himself on,...a 'man of character' and lover of Indiana.  Paul Chryst gently left Madison for far less than his official buyout.  Maybe Allen will take responsibility for the situation he's put the program in. Not likely, but not unprecedented.
Offer him 11 million and send him on his way. For the entire staff and spend money on another coach. Have to bring in someone who has won games. Deion Sanders could bring recruits in. I think the only way we keep Dasan is to bring finkel in

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

I don't see him leaving on his own. I also don't see us winning another game this season. I think we have to give him one more year. It will make IU look better when searching for the next sacrificial lamb to lead the program. This might be the worst job in power 5  football.

30 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Nov. 12 - at Ohio State               Ugly Loss  

Maybe it'll take an 83-20 (see I still remember the score) style beatdown to amp up the pressure internally despite the price tag. Looking at Ohio St's box scores this year, it seems they really take the throttle off most of the 2nd half so even a 42-7 halftime score will likely be a modest looking 52-17.

28 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I don't see him leaving on his own. I also don't see us winning another game this season. I think we have to give him one more year. It will make IU look better when searching for the next sacrificial lamb to lead the program. This might be the worst job in power 5  football.

He’s so much like Crean . Will not leave on his own.

22 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

He’s so much like Crean . Will not leave on his own.

What person would quit their job especially ones that make that much money. If you had a job you truly love would you just quit because things weren't going well.

For the want of a few bad calls, a couple of wide receivers, a punter, an offensive line, pressure on the opposing QB, a field goal kicker, pass protection, a QB that can throw under pressure, a running game, some recruiters, IU's tradition of losing has nothing to do with it, join another conference to play football at IU's level, etc.  

Maybe IU should move the campus to a state that only has one B1G university with a larger state population.

Just raise the prices on the tailgating lots and force all students to go to the soccer games or else.

But wouldn't it just be easier to blame the HC?

19 minutes ago, Dave from Dayton said:

But wouldn't it just be easier to blame the HC?

Dude’s getting paid $5 million a year. When the team he’s in charge of sucks? Yeah, he gets the blame. He recruits the players. He hires the coaches. He’s in charge. 

Sorry, I was just never on board with Coach Allen. I think he is a great guy. But, he's only had two good seasons at IU (I guess we can call 2020 a full season). 0-3 in bowl games. They completely choked in the Gator Bowl and lost to a team with a losing record in the Outback Bowl. 5-15 since the contract extension. I don't care about the low standards for football...IU and their fans deserve better. I see him here another year or two unfortunately. I agree with most, I don't see a buyout happening after they just extended him in March of 2021. 

Side note: Why do teams/athletic programs reward coaches for okay results? Colts gave Reich, along with Ballard, a contract extension after ONE freakin playoff win. They've been a .500 team since the contract extension. Just like Glass giving Crean one after ONE good year. I don't get it...