Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iuhoosierfan90

Tuttle hits the portal

16 minutes ago, iuhoosierfan90 said:

https://twitter.com/247SportsPortal/status/1581971225617670145?s=20&t=SQHf8D2gNJVnPteUNtu3WA

Things are not good in B-town...he's a team captain and extremely well-liked and by all indications an excellent leader.  

Leaders don't leave mid season. Bye Jack. 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

If you’d read a bit you’d see he’s not leaving mid season.

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/football/breaking-indiana-hoosiers-quarterback-jack-tuttle-enters-transfer-portal-for-2023-will-stay-with-hoosiers-through-sea

14 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He's not leaving mid season, he is in the online MBA program and they are on quarters, so he needs to get his name out there before he starts the next quarter which ends in Feb (prohibiting him from transferring to a new school in January)  I admire him for sticking through it, as it can't be easy to be on the bench knowing you can play.  He was a 4 or 5 star coming out of HS and has never really gotten a chance at IU.  Coach that recruited him, left about two weeks later.  I don't think he owes IU anything.  Allen is loyal to a fault.  Penix shouldn't have been playing after the second or third game when it was apparent he was afraid to run the ball.  I have a hard time thinking that Tuttle doesn't deserve an opportunity this season given what the starter has done.  Allen is in way over his head and the only reason he had success was that initially he had good coordinators.  Those have gone onto better personal opportunities.  Allen then got lucky during the COVID year.  Now, his lack of personal discipline on the field is glaringly obvious when watching his team.  They play undisciplined and are difficult to watch.  There's a lot of great kids on the sidelines wanting someone to actually coach them, not be a cheerleader.  

Edited by iuhoosierfan90

22 minutes ago, iuhoosierfan90 said:

He's not leaving mid season, he is in the online MBA program and they are on quarters, so he needs to get his name out there before he starts the next quarter which ends in Feb (prohibiting him from transferring to a new school in January)  I admire him for sticking through it, as it can't be easy to be on the bench knowing you can play.  He was a 4 or 5 star coming out of HS and has never really gotten a chance at IU.  Coach that recruited him, left about two weeks later.  I don't think he owes IU anything.  Allen is loyal to a fault.  Penix shouldn't have been playing after the second or third game when it was apparent he was afraid to run the ball.  I have a hard time thinking that Tuttle doesn't deserve an opportunity this season given what the starter has done.  Allen is in way over his head and the only reason he had success was that initially he had good coordinators.  Those have gone onto better personal opportunities.  Allen then got lucky during the COVID year.  Now, his lack of personal discipline on the field is glaringly obvious when watching his team.  They play undisciplined and are difficult to watch.  There's a lot of great kids on the sidelines wanting someone to actually coach them, not be a cheerleader.  

One of Tom Allen's biggest faults is his inability to develop.  I've noticed we have been far more dependent on the transfer portal for our talent than our recruits the past few seasons, which I think has to be causing some kind of friction for the people that chose to attend Indiana for the football program.  And when you can't develop players, you just aren't a coach.

42 minutes ago, iuhoosierfan90 said:

If Tuttle played this year it’d probably look similar to when he played last year. I don’t think he’s very good, but I don’t think he’s as bad as he looked last year either. We have a bad offensive line, mediocre receivers, and a nonexistent run game. Even talented quarterbacks would struggle in this situation. I wouldn’t be opposed to trying out Dexter Williams, though, because he’s mobile. What do we have to lose at this point? 

29 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

If Tuttle played this year it’d probably look similar to when he played last year. I don’t think he’s very good, but I don’t think he’s as bad as he looked last year either. We have a bad offensive line, mediocre receivers, and a nonexistent run game. Even talented quarterbacks would struggle in this situation. I wouldn’t be opposed to trying out Dexter Williams, though, because he’s mobile. What do we have to lose at this point? 

Well, he'd be running for his life so good thing.

IU would probably have at least 3 victories if Tuttle was a starter.  Besides him transferring from a solid Utah program he stayed at IU behind Penix (and Penix should have been the # 1 qb) (Penix success at Washington is another example of a big embarrassment for IU football) and now behind an inconsistent qb that started each half of most recent game on first play with an interception.  Enough said.  Only at IU.  
(Jack Tuttle is a good qb)….Unless Tuttle simply does not want to play.

The issue now is only 1 year…a coach like Purdue coach could take Tuttle and provide a little offensive line protection, a good receiver and have Tuttle into a competent passing game.  It’s the coaching and the system.  IU football lacks in both. 

15 minutes ago, TTT said:

IU would probably have at least 3 victories if Tuttle was a starter.  Besides him transferring from a solid Utah program he stayed at IU behind Penix (and Penix should have been the # 1 qb) (Penix success at Washington is another example of a big embarrassment for IU football) and now behind an inconsistent qb that started each half of most recent game on first play with an interception.  Enough said.  Only at IU.  
(Jack Tuttle is a good qb)….Unless Tuttle simply does not want to play.

Tuttle was pretty bad last year when he started in Penix's place. And I'm guessing he must not show much in practice, because IMO, there have been a handful of times where benching Bazelak would've been warranted -- yet they don't do it.  

As far as Penix -- I'm not sure how his success at Washington is embarrassing for IU. He got hurt every single year he was here -- one time while just running out of bounds.  I'm happy for him that he's having success in Seattle. I might be in the minority, but I don't see that as a huge negative for IU. Not sure what more anybody in Bloomington could've done for him. It's just crappy misfortune for the Hoosiers. 

17 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Tuttle was pretty bad last year when he started in Penix's place. And I'm guessing he must not show much in practice, because IMO, there have been a handful of times where benching Bazelak would've been warranted -- yet they don't do it.  

As far as Penix -- I'm not sure how his success at Washington is embarrassing for IU. He got hurt every single year he was here -- one time while just running out of bounds.  I'm happy for him that he's having success in Seattle. I might be in the minority, but I don't see that as a huge negative for IU. Not sure what more anybody in Bloomington could've done for him. It's just crappy misfortune for the Hoosiers. 

One would like to think that Tuttle not seeing playing time is due to lack of skill/talent.  But what if he goes somewhere else and thrives?  

17 minutes ago, Rico said:

One would like to think that Tuttle not seeing playing time is due to lack of skill/talent.  But what if he goes somewhere else and thrives?  

Guess it depends on where he goes. If he has success at a Bowling Green, you figure he was at the wrong level. If he has success at a Vanderbilt or a Boston College, it's just further proof that CTA didn't help him develop and is in over his head. Just my opinion, though.