Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Darren Hiller out as Indiana OL coach, per release. #iufb

37 minutes ago, Gahoosierfan said:

IU never conducts a nationwide search for the best coach available in any sport. They always look for someone with IU connections which means we are not getting anywhere near the best coach we could get. It is the IU way. No AD ever deviates much from this. 

Sampson, Crean and Miller were from outside the IU family and came from a national search. When we hired Deborer as OC that was a national search. Also the DC from last year came from UGA. We hired Wilson who came from Oklahoma so I don't see where we don't do a national search 

4 hours ago, ap2345 said:

Well Glass hired him. Dolson gave him the extension. Which at the time was the right move. IU was coming off an 8-4 season and other schools were looking to hire Allen. It just should’ve been a little bit better in terms of buyouts in case things went bad. 

The raise and extension came after Allen’s 6-2 Covid season in which IU faced Ohio State in OSU’s first game without Chase Young (NFL) and faced Michigan without Aidan Hutchinson (injury).

And faced Penn State without J. Oweh (Covid) in a game that was decided by an official’s decision (correct IMO) that historically 9 times out of 10 would have gone against IU and resulted in a loss.

Dolson was justified in giving Allen a raise and extension, but the length and buyout terms of the one he gave him were fiscally irresponsible. 

3 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

All true on top of legitimately big programs sniffing around. Allen had all the leverage and used it to get that extension. People would have been PISSED if we let him get poached by one of them and I won’t believe anyone that says otherwise. 

I agree and wasn't all that upset about the extension at the time. However, I think a big-time program hiring him with the thought that he would instill "LEO" and change the culture was always pretty far-fetched. Any AD, especially at an SEC school for example, would know that if Allen doesn't turn the program around quickly, people would sour on the rah rah culture stuff very quickly.

I don’t remember much evidence of many big-time programs seriously looking at Allen for very long other than Florida State, and in that case it was when Norvell was on shaky ground. And even after the 2020 season not all of us were sold on Allen as a savior who should’ve been given whatever new contract he wanted. 

I am still convinced that Dolson didn’t need to be as generous as he was in order to reward and retain Allen. I suspect that it could’ve been accomplished with something like 6 years and $18-20 Million guaranteed, including a less expensive buyout structure. I doubt it needed to be the 7 year, $27 Million guaranteed package it turned out to be.

That’s not to suggest there was something uniquely bad, or even unique period, about Dolson’s deal, On the contrary, it was fairly typical of a deal you’d see AT A FOOTBALL SCHOOL with boosters willing and able to pick up the tab for a buyout as soon as things went off the rails. The problem is that Dolson gave out that sweetheart deal at a basketball school that can apparently find $70 Million to offer Brad Stevens but can’t even come up with the funds to replace, or even just upgrade, its football team’s practice facility.

3 hours ago, DChoosier said:

To be fair the 6-2 covid season also followed the 8-5 (8-4 regular season) year in which I think we were competitive in every game other than the OSU matchup.  The extension definitely seems ridiculous now but it followed what were two of the best back to back seasons in the glorious history of IU football. In addition the media was relentlessly beating the Tom Allen/LEO drum, players were verbalizing how much they liked playing for Allen, recruiting was getting better and better and the program seemed to be on a positive trajectory.

The 8-5 season was good scheduling coming forth. We didn't beat any teams with a winning record. Got torched by OSU and I think Penn State or Michigan. 

3 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

All true on top of legitimately big programs sniffing around. Allen had all the leverage and used it to get that extension. People would have been PISSED if we let him get poached by one of them and I won’t believe anyone that says otherwise. 

I would have been happy. I'd be happy now. I'd have been happy if he never got the job. 

30 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

The 8-5 season was good scheduling coming forth. We didn't beat any teams with a winning record. Got torched by OSU and I think Penn State or Michigan. 

I’m not disputing your post  but while many seasons can be picked apart (ie I have friends still talking about IU beating OSU and UM in ‘87 but they never “downgrade” the results by mentioning that OSU went 4-4 in conference and UM was 5-3…ie an outlier season) very few seasons have ended with IU having 8 wins. We beat the teams we should have beaten and as we all know, that doesn’t happen often for IU.

12 hours ago, DChoosier said:

I’m not disputing your post  but while many seasons can be picked apart (ie I have friends still talking about IU beating OSU and UM in ‘87 but they never “downgrade” the results by mentioning that OSU went 4-4 in conference and UM was 5-3…ie an outlier season) very few seasons have ended with IU having 8 wins. We beat the teams we should have beaten and as we all know, that doesn’t happen often for IU.

Ahhhhhh.  The glory days of IU football.  I bet there are some Sparty and Iowa fans that are longing for 1987 as well.

58 minutes ago, Rico said:

Ahhhhhh.  The glory days of IU football.  I bet there are some Sparty and Iowa fans that are longing for 1987 as well.

Iowa got 1887 football back, that's close enough....right?