Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Darren Hiller out as Indiana OL coach, per release. #iufb

Interesting that Allen made the move before the stretch that includes Maryland and Rutgers and MSU instead of post-season 

makes me think that after last season Allen may believe he needs to win at least 1 or 2 more conference games this season or his own seat could get warm next year

21 minutes ago, Magisterium said:

Interesting that Allen made the move before the stretch that includes Maryland and Rutgers and MSU instead of post-season 

makes me think that after last season Allen may believe he needs to win at least 1 or 2 more conference games this season or his own seat could get warm next year

Allen's seat won't get hot anytime soon. If he's fired before Dec. 1, 2024, he's owed his full remaining contract -- which runs through 2027 and is worth about $5M a year. That means if fired after this year, he's owed roughly $25M. If fired in 2023, it's $20M. 

If he's fired after Dec. 1, 2024 -- he's owed 50% of his remaining contract. So if he's canned after the 2024 season, he'd be owed  about $7.5M. The school really painted itself into a corner with that deal.

Good work -- if you can get it. 

13 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Allen's seat won't get hot anytime soon. If he's fired before Dec. 1, 2024, he's owed his full remaining contract -- which runs through 2027 and is worth about $5M a year. That means if fired after this year, he's owed roughly $25M. If fired in 2023, it's $20M. 

If he's fired after Dec. 1, 2024 -- he's owed 50% of his remaining contract. So if he's canned after the 2024 season, he'd be owed  about $7.5M. The school really painted itself into a corner with that deal.

Wow…. This is TERRIBLE!

11 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I hope after this IU will actually spend money on a coaching search then pay good money to hire a good coach. That would be a big departure from the usual going cheap on a coaching search then overpaying a mediocre to bad coach and dishing out a bunch of money to fire them. 

22 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Fred Glass, right?

22 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I’m aware of Allen’s buyout numbers and hope the new TV rights money can help if a coaching change becomes necessary although Dolson makes it sound like that increased payout to the schools won’t be available right away

2 minutes ago, Magisterium said:

I’m aware of Allen’s buyout numbers and hope the new TV rights money can help if a coaching change becomes necessary although Dolson makes it sound like that increased payout to the schools won’t be available right away

Next year will be a marginal increase. It goes up by something like 50% once UCLA/USC join.

4 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

Next year will be a marginal increase. It goes up by something like 50% once UCLA/USC join.

It would go up by a good deal more than 50% if Notre Dame would join but I guess they’re just too darned special for that

7 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

It's too bad it took CTA this long to realize what was inevitable. If memory serves, there was speculation here that one of the reasons McCullough left for South Bend was Hiller's ineptitude and Allen's reluctance to address it.  

Granted, he may have gone to Notre Dame regardless, but still ... 

This was almost certainly a thing and almost certainly f’ed us over

8 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

It's too bad it took CTA this long to realize what was inevitable. If memory serves, there was speculation here that one of the reasons McCullough left for South Bend was Hiller's ineptitude and Allen's reluctance to address it.  

Granted, he may have gone to Notre Dame regardless, but still ... 

It’s not a secret McCullough left because of Hiller and his run game coordinator role. Deland didn’t leave the KC Chiefs because he wanted a “lateral” gig at a place like Notre Dame. He came to IU because his family liked Bloomington, CTA offered him an opportunity to be AHC (putting him in a position to get to HC position in the future) and coach his kids. I said this when it happened, and I’ll say it again. This was a massive mistake by CTA and is likely to eventually cost him his job unless he can find a way to redeem himself. Dolson has to be fuming and I’d bet anything, without his buyout, CTA would be sent packing in the off-season. 

3 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Yep.

So he will most likely be around for the rest of this season, next season and the season after. 

I hope he turns things around as he did have two of the best seasons IU has had in decades. I’m not saying I’m convinced he is the guy but it would be great for all if things work out. We will see.

12 hours ago, Magisterium said:

Dolson, actually 

Well Glass hired him. Dolson gave him the extension. Which at the time was the right move. IU was coming off an 8-4 season and other schools were looking to hire Allen. It just should’ve been a little bit better in terms of buyouts in case things went bad. 

Years late and a dollar short.  
Is this the famous Jim Carey?  
A good move.  Grasping for straws.  
Buying time.  Hoping for the best.               Bottom line….Almost all these guys have eventually walked away without being in the poor house whatever they leave behind whether good or bad.

13 hours ago, maharkn said:

Dude is getting paid $330,000 to not coach anymore. How can someone that bad at their job make that much money

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Because in the grand scheme of coaches... he's still a damn good one? 

14 hours ago, Magisterium said:

I think we will see some improvement immediately. Not a ton but some. If we have any bowl hopes this move had to be done, really should have been 2-3 weeks ago.