Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

Game Thread: Indiana vs. Nebraska (10/1) 7:30 p.m. EST on BTN

I’ve never been a Tom Allen fan. I hate how goofy he is. He’s the football equivalent of Tom Crean with both lower highs and lower lows. His teams are undisciplined and unprepared. He’s now 16-29 in Big Ten play. #LEO is cringe. Nick Saban doesn’t use goofy catchphrases.

Two years later and it’s beyond obvious that 2020 was a highly flukey season. No fans, players in and out with covid, etc. Last night is what IU football is under Tom Allen’s command. 

14 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I’ve never been a Tom Allen fan. I hate how goofy he is. He’s the football equivalent of Tom Crean with both lower highs and lower lows. His teams are undisciplined and unprepared. He’s now 16-29 in Big Ten play. #LEO is cringe. Nick Saban doesn’t use goofy catchphrases.

Two years later and it’s beyond obvious that 2020 was a highly flukey season. No fans, players in and out with covid, etc. Last night is what IU football is under Tom Allen’s command. 

He’s a cheerleader and that’s about it. Kevin Wilson was probably the most talented coach we’ve had in 25 years. Wilson has another top ranked offense at OSU. Not saying I would want Wilson back just that Allen isn’t really good at anything.

13 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

CTA must have Crean’s agent also, damn that buyout is large.  Not bad for a high school coach.  

2 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

He’s a cheerleader and that’s about it. Kevin Wilson was probably the most talented coach we’ve had in 25 years. Wilson has another top ranked offense at OSU. Not saying I would want Wilson back just that Allen isn’t really good at anything.

Some people just aren’t P5 head coach material. Allen can be a decent defensive coordinator, but it’s year 6 and he’s still completely in over his head as a head coach. Such a mistake by Fred Glass not even conducting a coaching search. Allen had one year of P5 coordinator experience and zero years of D1 head coaching experience at the time yet Glass treated him like the golden goose we couldn’t risk losing. 

6 hours ago, Trish said:

Indiana Football isn’t winning another game. 

I think Tom Allen gets one more year, I’m unfamiliar with his buy out. 

But I still think he gets one more year. 

If we basically lose out, lose bad to PU and they go bowling he will probably be fired. 

6 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

I almost agree, but I think Hep was a better coach than Wilson.  We really had something with him!  What could have been?

CTA's after game demeanor is what really pissed me off!  He acted like we just won something/anything.  Greeted the Nebraska coach like he just married his sister or something?!  WTF was that?

6 hours ago, Trish said:

Indiana Football isn’t winning another game. 

I think Tom Allen gets one more year, I’m unfamiliar with his buy out. 

But I still think he gets one more year. 

My understanding  is that he is signed through 2027. His salary was 4.3 million in 2021 and goes up 200k a year ultimately resulting in 2027 pay of 5.5 million.
If he is fired before December 1st 2024 he gets 100% of his remaining pay through 2027 (ie if he was fired after next season he would still receive 4.9, 5.1, 5.3 and 5.5 million….in other words he would be owed 20,800,000 if he was fired after next season, not gonna happen).

24 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

My understanding  is that he is signed through 2027. His salary was 4.3 million in 2021 and goes up 200k a year ultimately resulting in 2027 pay of 5.5 million.
If he is fired before December 1st 2024 he gets 100% of his remaining pay through 2027 (ie if he was fired after next season he would still receive 4.9, 5.1, 5.3 and 5.5 million….in other words he would be owed 20,800,000 if he was fired after next season, not gonna happen).

Why in the world did IU agree to that. 

After Dec 1 2024 his buyout will be $8M is my understanding. I didn't have a problem with his extension at the time but was unaware of the buyout terms then. In hindsight IU athletics should have known better (Crean) but.... Buckle up folks going to be a long 2 1/2 seasons or longer.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

After Dec 1 2024 his buyout will be $8M is my understanding. I didn't have a problem with his extension at the time but was unaware of the buyout terms then. In hindsight IU athletics should have known better (Crean) but.... Buckle up folks going to be a long 2 1/2 seasons or longer.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

The payout does go down after Dec 2024 which is why I expect him to be the coach at least for the 2023 and 2024 seasons.  

To put his performance, and IU, in perspective. Allen and Mallory are the only two coaches in IU history that won 25 games in their first 5 seasons. in other words, winning 5 games a year for 5 seasons puts you on the IU Mount Rushmore of football coaches.

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Why in the world did IU agree to that. 

Because every college football program now thinks they have to massively overpay their coaches after the slightest flash of success, or somebody else will. MSU made the same mistake with Tucker. Kansas will probably do it with Leipold pretty soon. There are so many programs out there that want to win big and win now and will throw unlimited money at coaches to try and make it happen.