Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2024) - SG Gicarri Harris to Purdue

Grayson’s boys basketball team, ranked fourth in Class AAAAAAA, locked up the No. 1 seed for the Region 4-AAAAAAA Tournament with a 63-56 victory over No. 3-ranked Newton on Friday.

Gicarri Harris 14p; 9r; 2a.         Teammate Amir Taylor 10p; 5r; 2a.

The game write-up didn't include any stats for Newton players.

Gicarri Harris put up 41 points Wednesday as Grayson’s boys basketball team, ranked fourth in Class AAAAAAA, cruised to an 85-62 win over Parkview in the Region 4-AAAAAAA Tournament semifinals.  Harris added six rebounds, three assists and three steals to his 41 points. He was supported by Amir Taylor (12 points, five rebounds, two assists).

The Rams (20-5) play host Newton at 7:30 p.m. Friday for the region championship. Newton, No. 3 in AAAAAAA, defeated South Gwinnett 61-42 in the other semifinal.

46 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Grayson defeated Newton 62-49 for region championship.  Harris 14p.  10r.  6a

Stat line doesn’t reflect how good Harris was last night. He had a terrific all-around game. Becoming really fond of him. 

36 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Probably safe to say we're on the outside looking in.

https://www.on3.com/news/top-150-recruit-gicarri-harris-updates-his-recruitment/

That seems to be the case more and more as time goes by with a lot of the recruits.  Either we are thinking Transfer Portal is our newer method or we feel really good about our certain 2024 targets.  I do think we feel good about '24 targets.  Hope we can get 2 or 3 of them. 

Harris' season ended with a state semifinal loss to Norcross 67-55.  Harris 15p and 4s.

Couldn't find consistent game statistics for him so what I have is a bit of a hodgepodge.  Grayson finished 24-6 on the season.

Points - 21 games:  17.0

Reb - 18 games:  7.2

Asst - 18 games:  4.2

Steals -  9 games 2.8

Not particularly surprising.

Rob Cassidy -

GICARRI HARRIS TO PURDUE: There’s still some runway left when it comes to the recruitment of the Georgia-based guard. Harris said he doesn’t plan to make a decision until September, and schools such as Georgia and Stanford are very much involved. Still, it’s starting to seem like beating out Purdue is going to take a Herculean effort.

Harris, the son of Purdue legend Glenn Robinson, has already been on campus in West Lafayette and seems to feel most comfortable with the Boilermakers staff. He’s also already visited Stanford and attended a handful of UGA football games, but he doesn’t seem as closely bonded to either of those schools. He may not commit in the near future, but Purdue has positioned itself well headed into the summer months.

Purdue seems to be all in on building their program with second level high school kids and developing them over their college career. I have to admit that I prefer that method over always shopping in the portal. At least Purdue fans have a chance to get to know who is on their team.

46 minutes ago, cthomas said:

Purdue seems to be all in on building their program with second level high school kids and developing them over their college career. I have to admit that I prefer that method over always shopping in the portal. At least Purdue fans have a chance to get to know who is on their team.

I won’t be surprised to see Purdue excel because bigger recruiting schools are looking at top end players and transfer portal.  It makes the 70-150 kids that are talented less swooned after.  Purdue’s approach will likely work with Painter as the coach.  I’m not certain we make that approach work though. We are searching for an identity. 

Edited by WayneFleekHoosier

I won’t be surprised to see Purdue excel because bigger recruiting schools are looking at top end players and transfer portal.  It makes the 70-150 kids that are talented less swooned after.  Purdue’s approach will likely work with Painter as the coach.  I’m not certain we make that approach work though. We are searching for an identity. 
And if you get these kids to stay in the program this is a very good approach as you can have continuity with roster for several years. Their problem will be if they don't get that occasional star to go along with these 70-150's. It'll be interesting to see how the transfer portal continues to affect HS recruits and what programs ultimately benefit. Different approaches to be taken for sure. I'd say this dynamic should help lower P5's and mid majors but I'm afraid the opposite will actually be true as players look for 'g$eener' pastures.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

While this does seem to be the space Purdue typically works in from a rankings perspective, I can't decide if their recent recruiting is anything that will elevate them beyond the kings of January or if they are just getting lucky with the "my dad is in your athletic department's hall of fame" thing.  That well can't be that deep.  

18 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Scratch another one off your wish list.   No real surprise.  The fact he only has a 2-page thread tells you all you need to know.  And don't get overly excited at seeing PUke in his final 6 as his dad is former PUker Glenn Robinson.

I'm shocked! 

Okay, not so much. Especially considering who his father is. 

Good player but not a huge miss going by both his ranking and the schools still in the mix. Solid but not great and IU is still in the mix on some better players.

17 hours ago, go iu bb said:

I'm shocked! 

Okay, not so much. Especially considering who his father is. 

Good player but not a huge miss going by both his ranking and the schools still in the miss. Solid but not great and IU is still in the mix on some better players.

I like him a good bit. Tough, physical, super-competitive. He’s got some DeShawn Harris-Smith to him, though not that good. Would like to see him somewhere other than PU.