Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUMS vs Michigan State - Friday, 9/23/22 @ 7:30 on BTN+

Live Stats

No. 16-ranked Indiana men's soccer (3-2-1, 0-1-0 B1G) returns home to welcome Michigan State (2-4-1, 0-0-0 B1G) in its Big Ten home opener Friday (Sept. 23) night on Jerry Yeagley Field at Bill Armstrong Stadium.

The match will be streamed live on the Big Ten Plus digital platform with kickoff set for 7:30 p.m. ET.

SETTING THE SCENE
• Indiana is undefeated in 12 straight matches at home going back to the 2021 season. In that span, IU has 11 shutout victories.
• IU's Todd Yeagley, and Michigan State's Damon Rensing, are both among the Big Ten's top-five winningest coaches of all-time, by percentage. Yeagley ranks No. 2 (.688) and Rensing No. 5 (.564). Both earned their first Big Ten head coaching jobs in 2009.
• The Hoosiers have scored 11 goals from seven unique goal scorers this season.

ABOUT THE SPARTANS
• Michigan State comes into the match with a 2-4-1 record. OSU's last result was a 4-1 defeat to No. 4 Washington.
• The Spartans are led by 13th-year head coach Damon Rensing. Rensing has compiled a 132-98-36 record at MSU.• Eight Spartans have totaled 10 goals this season. Redshirt senior Will Perkins and freshman midfielder Jack Guggemos are tied for the team lead with two goals apiece.

SERIES HISTORY
• Indiana has dominated the all-time series with Michigan State, owning a 43-8-5 record against the Spartans.
• The Hoosiers won the first 30 matchups and, recently, have not lost to MSU since 2015. In that span, IU is 6-0-2, winning each of the last four matches.
• In last year's matchup, Indiana rode Patrick McDonald's first-career goal in the 48th minute to a 1-0 win. Seven of IU's last eight wins over MSU have been decided by one goal.

Disappointing night as the match ends in a 1-1 tie.  We had a total of 19 shots with 6 on goal and held MSU to 8 shots with just 1 on goal, but it was good for MSU's only score of the night.
Next Tuesday we host Northwestern.

“Unlucky” as soccer fans would say.

Crappy result as I would say. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

That was easily IU’s worst match of the season. I know they have lost twice but that was to teams who will compete for a top seed in the NCAA Tournament. This MSU team has played really badly and its a game you need to win. Period.

This year may turn into 2014 again with a middle of pack Big Ten finish and barely over .500 record but a really good NCAA tourney seed with lots of good wins and a very hard schedule. 

41 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I think the sample size is large enough to at least wonder if this team has the same fault as a lot of our recent teams. Talented but missing that killer instinct 

I think the issue is more they play to their competition. When they have played top competition they have looked like a fellow top team. However, they have also played down to lesser teams as well.

Also, they are really missing their top defender and captain Daniel Munie who has missed the last few games with a hamstring injury.

19 minutes ago, Aaron said:

I think the issue is more they play to their competition. When they have played top competition they have looked like a fellow top team. However, they have also played down to lesser teams as well.

Also, they are really missing their top defender and captain Daniel Munie who has missed the last few games with a hamstring injury.

And I would argue having a killer instinct prevents you from playing down to your competition.