Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Jay Edwards

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

If he could stay away from partying he probably would have been even better 

Yep, he had his “demons” in regards to substance abuse.

I heard him on a podcast a month or two ago and he admitted to regularly drinking a few  beers right before games. He even discussed a game in which the Iowa player guarding him was telling Dr Tom Davis (Iowa’s coach at the time) that Edwards reeked of booze.

I remember reading somewhere (might have been in one of the books about him) where RMK said he rarely had any problems with what Jay did on the court. He just said the kid had horrible personal habits -- i.e., couldn't lay off the booze, pot. 

14 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Imagine Jay as a senior with Calbert as a Sophomore. Woof. 

I would have loved to have had Jay on that '89-'90 squad.  I suspect we wouldn't have finished 8-10 in the B1G.

On 9/18/2022 at 1:15 PM, Rico said:

I would have loved to have had Jay on that '89-'90 squad.  I suspect we wouldn't have finished 8-10 in the B1G.

10-0 before the conference started, right? Then lost to Cal in the 1st round of NCAA.

Cal Berkley, not Coach CALward.

51 minutes ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

10-0 before the conference started, right? Then lost to Cal in the 1st round of NCAA.

Cal Berkley, not Coach CALward.

That be the team.  8-10 conference record and we still got in.

He was soooo smooth! That stretch in 1989 of 3 straight Sunday home games on ABC with Vitale and Keith Jackson on the call were amazing!! Game winners against Purdue and Michigan and the behind the backboard shot to tie vs. Illinois. He stays all 4 years he's top 3 all time on the career scoring list and yes imagine 2 years along side Calbert and Company!!! Damn......

On 9/17/2022 at 9:00 AM, HoosierX said:

Was this best 3 point shooting at the time?

53.6% from beyond the arc as a freshman (59 makes out of 110 tries).  He was decent for a freshman.

That's the stat I found anyways.  Looking at this list, it puts him at the top 4 of all single-season bests (although, this list doesn't go back to Jay Edwards' playing days).  https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/leaders/fg3-pct-player-season.html

21 hours ago, ray said:

53.6% from beyond the arc as a freshman (59 makes out of 110 tries).  He was decent for a freshman.

That's the stat I found anyways.  Looking at this list, it puts him at the top 4 of all single-season bests (although, this list doesn't go back to Jay Edwards' playing days).  https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/leaders/fg3-pct-player-season.html

That is a crazy high percentage, hard to even imagine nowadays. Although I guess the three point line is over 2 feet further back these days. He also shot 38% from 2 that year haha.

10 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

That is a crazy high percentage, hard to even imagine nowadays. Although I guess the three point line is over 2 feet further back these days. He also shot 38% from that year haha.

The only other shooting year I put up there as a freshman besd Alford. There were no 3 pointers but most of his came from outside and he shot 59 percent from the field

58 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

There were no 3 pointers but most of his came from outside and he shot 59 percent from the field

Actually, Alford shot most of his shots inside what would have been the 3-point line during his first three seasons at IU when there was no 3-point shot. Alford's 3-point shooting percentage in 1986-87, the only season the 3-point rule existed during his college career, was 53%.

21 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Actually, Alford shot most of his shots inside what would have been the 3-point line during his first three seasons at IU when there was no 3-point shot. Alford's 3-point shooting percentage in 1986-87, the only season the 3-point rule existed during his college career, was 53%.

Haven't rewatched all of his games but the sweet 16 game against UNC in 84 he would have hit at least 3 or 4 from 3's.  Also it wasn't like all of his shots were at the rim and for any guard to shoot 59 percent from the field is a huge accomplishment.  Big guys today don't hit 59 percent from the field.

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Haven't rewatched all of his games

Alford's average was 5.9 points per game from 3-point range during the 1986-87 season--meaning he averaged two 3-point shots a game. Coach Knight hated the 3-point shot and preferred that they not shoot from 3-point range. 

1 hour ago, Honkyman said:

Alford's average was 5.9 points per game from 3-point range during the 1986-87 season--meaning he averaged two 3-point shots a game. Coach Knight hated the 3-point shot and preferred that they not shoot from 3-point range. 

Not true he was 107-202 and per game it was 3.1 makes on 5.9 attempts.  He hitb7 in the championship game

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Not true he was 107-202 and per game it was 3.1 makes on 5.9 attempts.  He hitb7 in the championship game

Ha, I watched this game for the first time today due to a slow work day. Yeah I don't think RMK hated it too much that game. Alford missed his first couple and then basically couldn't miss again until the end of the game.  One of them he practically faked a pass and shot it in the same motion, it was amazing.

Also, how the hell did Derrick Coleman end up playing college basketball for four years?

1 hour ago, HoosierX said:

Ha, I watched this game for the first time today due to a slow work day. Yeah I don't think RMK hated it too much that game. Alford missed his first couple and then basically couldn't miss again until the end of the game.  One of them he practically faked a pass and shot it in the same motion, it was amazing.

Also, how the hell did Derrick Coleman end up playing college basketball for four years?

Everybody back then did, like Ewing, Duncan, Robinson and even Jordan played 3 years.

1 hour ago, HoosierX said:

Also should watch the semi final game against UNLV and see what a senior in Atman Gilliam looked like. Also Freddie Banks for UNLV hit 10 3's yet IU won 97-93