Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

Game Thread: Indiana vs. Illinois (9/2) 8 p.m. EST on FS1

20 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

4 hour 5 minute game. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

13 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Barf. What is this, cricket?

I'm curious why games are taking this long these days. I'm certain that games weren't this long 15-20 years ago. It's not like they're high scoring games, either. More injury timeouts? Longer commercial breaks? More replay reviews? I don't know. 

13 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I'm curious why games are taking this long these days. I'm certain that games weren't this long 15-20 years ago. It's not like they're high scoring games, either. More injury timeouts? Longer commercial breaks? More replay reviews? I don't know. 

All of the reasons you listed, plus 80+ passing attempts per game leading to more clock stoppage for first downs/incompletions. I’d wager you could shave 20-30 minutes off of games by going the NFL route on not stopping the clock on first downs alone. 

The replay review timeouts have become downright nutty though. There was a point in ODU/VT tonight where they ran 3 plays on the same drive over the span of 15 minutes due to reviews. 

34 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Ads, So $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

1 hour ago, Hovadipo said:

All of the reasons you listed, plus 80+ passing attempts per game leading to more clock stoppage for first downs/incompletions. I’d wager you could shave 20-30 minutes off of games by going the NFL route on not stopping the clock on first downs alone. 

The replay review timeouts have become downright nutty though. There was a point in ODU/VT tonight where they ran 3 plays on the same drive over the span of 15 minutes due to reviews. 

I recorded the game and added a 30 minute extension....after 4 hours, the recording ended with 8 seconds left in the game.

From what I saw..

- Offense has some shades of the Wilson days. Much quicker plays than Sheridan gave us but also many of the ad things from the Wilson offenses.. too many plays from behind the line of scrimmage. 

- Offensive line is just weak. I don't know what is being coached there but they just consistently are getting blasted by the opposing line. There just never seems to be any direction as to where they block. I mean on run plays there isn't any urgency to create holes and push forward. They almost fall back and wait to get hit.

- Running game will continue to suck until the offensive line learns to play football. Unfortunately for Shivers, he came here to run behind the worst line in the country. 

- Defense obviously made plays when needed. Lot of bending without breaking mentality. Defensive line was still super weak most of the night. Secondary looked slow. Physically and reactionary. We really don't have any ball hawks out in the secondary. Taiwan Mullen has definitely not made the leaps expected after his freshman year. 

- Thought it was odd that the middle of the field was left so open all night. Not sure of the scheme we run though. Considering how weak our DLine is, kinda wish we could go back to basics with a 4-3 base or something and get some dudes in the box. Gotta be able to stop the run and get pressure on the QB. Really only successful a few times. 

- Connor looked decent. As long as he has time but that can be said for any QB. He definitely has talent and an arm. Closest thing we've had to Sudfeld in a while I think.  An really throw some pretty balls and make it look kinda effortless. 

Illinois out-played IU almost the entire game. They got screwed out of TD on that early incomplete call and IU's "running" game was putrid. Still got the win. Love it suck it Illini! IU football doesn't need style points - needs wins by any means possible. Just win baby. 

4 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

I greatly underestimated this team. This is a 3 win team not the 2 win team I predicted! I think we have a decent QB and a couple of receivers. Back to typical IU with not much else.

Right. This game does nothing to.improve my outlook of the program but always feel better about a conference win! Maybe we can sneak another 1-2 like this 

There's always the chance Darren Hiller can be fired during the season and we can replace him with a lawn flamingo, which would likely improve our offensive line.
I mean, it's highly unlikely cause he's best friends with Tom, but anything is possible.
Surely we could go over to one of the Bloomington schools and find someone there to coach the o-line.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk