Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

B1G Inks Lucrative New TV Deal w/ CBS, FOX, & NBC

This is awesome.  Great deal.

I do think it's a mistake to eliminate ESPN though.  When ESPN picked up the NHL this last season they finally started showing hockey highlights on Sportscenter which increased the visibility of the sport.  I'm afraid we won't get the airtime on Sportscenter that we used to now.

Still exciting news though

I think the NBC part of the deal is going to be fantastic. Their NFL and Notre Dame coverage has been top notch. From The Athletic:

"Bevacqua said NBC will have a dedicated Big Ten football broadcast and production team, and that will include a pregame show. He said his group is currently discussing talent possibilities but it’s way too early for any names. One thing NBC people are very excited about — there will be Saturdays where Notre Dame leads into a Big Ten primetime game which leads into “Saturday Night Live.” That’s a lot of name brands."

They'll have B1G basketball too obviously, which will be their first big time basketball in what I would guess is a really long time.

12 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

I think the NBC part of the deal is going to be fantastic. Their NFL and Notre Dame coverage has been top notch. From The Athletic:

"Bevacqua said NBC will have a dedicated Big Ten football broadcast and production team, and that will include a pregame show. He said his group is currently discussing talent possibilities but it’s way too early for any names. One thing NBC people are very excited about — there will be Saturdays where Notre Dame leads into a Big Ten primetime game which leads into “Saturday Night Live.” That’s a lot of name brands."

They'll have B1G basketball too obviously, which will be their first big time basketball in what I would guess is a really long time.

Other than having to subscribe to an additional streaming service (peacock) there really is no downside to this deal imo. Taking more primetime away from FOX was a must (their broadcast needs a lot of work), and getting those games on NBC and CBS was brilliant. 

51 minutes ago, Josh said:

I do think it's a mistake to eliminate ESPN though.  When ESPN picked up the NHL this last season they finally started showing hockey highlights on Sportscenter which increased the visibility of the sport.  I'm afraid we won't get the airtime on Sportscenter that we used to now.

While this may be true, I'm glad we didn't get on ESPN. Their coverage (especially for football) is awful. 

ESPN can sit on a railroad spike. 

25 minutes ago, BtownStrength said:

While this may be true, I'm glad we didn't get on ESPN. Their coverage (especially for football) is awful. 

ESPN can sit on a railroad spike. 

All press is good press.  You may not like them, but Sportscenter still steers the national conversation on sports.  Sportcenter did not report on the NHL at all before they had a contract with them and now they do.  That's a big deal in terms of national interest.

Are there any details on where the marquee basketball games will be broadcast?  I saw that some games will continue on CBS, but what about the games that traditionally went to ESPN?  Will they go to FS1 or some other cable station?  Will there be more games going to the BTN?  Any details would be much appreciated.

The proof for me will be in the execution. If this turns into a play to force more subscriptions to Peacock, I won't be happy. As bad as cable tv was, and I'm glad I left it, streaming services have the potential to be worse as things become more fragmented.

Give me channel 4 and a set of rabbit ears.

Anybody have the institutional knowledge of how this money is managed? Does the B1G get it, take its cut for "operations" and then send the money to the universities? Or the universities athletic department? I know that it stays within the athletic program, but what would we (IU) use this for? Facility upgrades? Just seems like a crap ton of money (not to mention ticket sales, sponsorships, etc.).

2 hours ago, Josh said:

We’ll see how ESPN approaches Game Day and if Big Ten schools are not considered as host sites anymore, even if ESPN isn’t airing the actual game. However, I think that the Big Ten will still get enough coverage during the Game Day segments for no other reason than both Kirk Herbstreit and Desmond Howard are Big Ten homers. If not, maybe they both get frustrated they can’t talk about their schools and hop to FOX to team up with Gus Johnson and Joel Klatt for a new game day format. 

This may shape up to be akin to the WWF/WCW ratings wars of the late 90s.

Big Ten has a long way to go in streaming sports that aren't football and basketball. That is what I am not interested in seeing. Also... dump Sunday basketball. Play the games on Saturdays. Sundays are for football until the 2nd weekend in Feb. 

1 hour ago, cthomas said:

The proof for me will be in the execution. If this turns into a play to force more subscriptions to Peacock, I won't be happy. As bad as cable tv was, and I'm glad I left it, streaming services have the potential to be worse as things become more fragmented.

Give me channel 4 and a set of rabbit ears.

Of course it will be a way to force people to buy Peacock!

If you don't believe otherwise you are naïve. Its a great business move by NBC as Big Ten fans will now have to fork over $5 a month to watch content on Peacock and it legitimizes a service that was not previously on anyone's radar really. 

In old deal you needed cable only if you just wanted IU football and basketball and also BTN+ if you wanted IU's other sports. With new deal you will need cable AND Peacock for $5 a month to get all football and basketball as well as BTN+ still for other sport. Basically you will have to subscribe to all the same services you do now plus Peacock. Peacock is NOT replacing BTN+ for a lot of IU's other sports. They will both have games now,

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Since I have Xfinity cable and internet I get Peacock for free

Sorry Peacock's free deal with Xfinity is ending soon I belive. By the time Big Ten games are on you will have to fork over your $5.