Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JimmerNoe

Hoosier Fan Fest

I know this was an NIL event and not an official university event like the one in October, but does anyone know if there were any recruits in attendance? If so, I imagine it would be some of the ones who live close. 

2 hours ago, go iu bb said:

I know this was an NIL event and not an official university event like the one in October, but does anyone know if there were any recruits in attendance? If so, I imagine it would be some of the ones who live close. 

Raleigh Burgess was on campus.  Haven't seen any other names mentioned.

4 hours ago, JimmerNoe said:

General observations from last night: what an awesome event. Such a different vibe than Hoosier Hysteria and with every courtside seat full ($250) and 1/3 to 1/2 of the lower bowl full, they made a lot of money to split amongst the team.

- CJ Gunn seems way taller than advertised. At one point he was standing with Kaleb and Malik and seemed at most 1-2 inches shorter than Malik and about the same height as Kaleb. Also freak athlete which I wasn’t expecting. He tried to throw down some absurd dunks. He’s really long too so as he puts on weight could see him becoming really valuable later in his career.

- Kaleb Banks: Also really athletic, didn’t see as much from him last night but stroke looks good too.

- Malik Reneau: Big frame and he already moved very well. He was comfortable getting the ball off the glass, bringing it up, trying to break people down from the perimeter. He had a half spin to a one footed 10-12 footer that looked smooth. Also just bumped Logan out of the way on a take to the rim and laid it in left handed. He’s not going to be physically outmatched as a freshman when he gets time.

- Jalen Hood-Schifino: obviously just a three point contest but his stroke looks excellent. He will demand someone to guard him out there. Very big for a guard. Most impressive thing to me is that he moves like a pro. Just glides around the court, covers a TON of ground with step backs and shifty dribbles. Threw a no look pass in transition for a layup that was great. He also has a huge body for a point guard. At the end of the scrimmage he stood X up at the perimeter, definitely fouled him, and took the ball the other way. It wasn’t a clean play but I don’t think he’s going to get bullied by anyone in the BIG.

- Tamar Bates: probably the most impressive changes from last season in my opinion (even though it’s just a three point contest and rough open gym). He looks every bit of 20 lbs heavier. His shot looked very smooth in the 3pt contest and in the open run. He had MUCH less jerkiness to his game and along with JHS just looked like he was moving at a different speed and gliding all over the court.

Sorry for the long post but I promised I would overreact and take way more from this event than is probably responsible! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great feedback! Thank you. 

10 minutes ago, Josh said:

I know Woody wasn't there and this shouldn't mean 100%, but what were the starting lineups for the scrimmage?  Did it seem to be starters vs backups?  

White Team: 31                        Red Team: 25
Race Thompson- 2                     Trayce Jackson-Davis- 14
Logan Duncomb- 6                    Malik Reneau- 4
Jalen Hood-Schifino- 7               Kaleb Banks- 4
Tamar Bates- 6                           Xavier Johnson- 3
Anthony Leal- 6                          Miller Kopp- 0
Jordan Geronimo- 4                   CJ Gunn- 0

57 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

White Team: 31                        Red Team: 25
Race Thompson- 2                     Trayce Jackson-Davis- 14
Logan Duncomb- 6                    Malik Reneau- 4
Jalen Hood-Schifino- 7               Kaleb Banks- 4
Tamar Bates- 6                           Xavier Johnson- 3
Anthony Leal- 6                          Miller Kopp- 0
Jordan Geronimo- 4                   CJ Gunn- 0

I don't want to nit-pick, but does anyone else have a "concern" with the scoring differential between the 2 teams. I realize this was all just for fun and all, but my logic says that Kopp & Gunn should have never been held scoreless with loose defense being played, and TJD shouldn't get 56% of the points by his team, esp with X, Kopp, & Rineau (based on early feedback on Malik's performance in practice).

Just seems a little strange to me.

1 hour ago, DWB said:

I don't want to nit-pick, but does anyone else have a "concern" with the scoring differential between the 2 teams. I realize this was all just for fun and all, but my logic says that Kopp & Gunn should have never been held scoreless with loose defense being played, and TJD shouldn't get 56% of the points by his team, esp with X, Kopp, & Rineau (based on early feedback on Malik's performance in practice).

Naah, it’s 8 min no refs up and down for the crowd, other than a very limited look at how some guys looked with the ball (JHS / Bates) there’s almost nothing anyone can really draw from this

8 hours ago, hoosierdaddy_72 said:

Don't see the point of a second Hoosier Hysteria.  There was nothing original about this.  Just the same events.  Just make the traditional Hoosier Hysteria in October an NIL event.

School puts on Hoosier Hysteria so NIL can’t be involved that’s why this one  was formed 

11 hours ago, DWB said:

This scrimmage had a 4 pt line also.  Someone drilled one to start the scrimmage.   Really wouldn’t take anything away from this scrimmage except they were all having fun and entertaining the crowd.   Looking deeper into it would be a mistake in my opinion 

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

School puts on Hoosier Hysteria so NIL can’t be involved that’s why this one  was formed 

So then just get the school un-involved with the one in October.  That is a major recruiting event, and you risk marginalizing it by having what to many seems like the same thing two months earlier.

22 minutes ago, hoosierdaddy_72 said:

So then just get the school un-involved with the one in October.  That is a major recruiting event, and you risk marginalizing it by having what to many seems like the same thing two months earlier.

You need the school involved so the recruits can be on campus for official visits during that time.   You are correct it is a major recruiting event.    Keep both and while the recruits are on their visit for Hysteria the current players can tell them look this is October before the season starts and there is over 10,000 people here to watch a practice.    We also have another one in August that is similar but the difference is we each took home X amount of dollars from the NIL collective.  

23 minutes ago, hoosierdaddy_72 said:

There was also way more to the NIL event than just the Hoosier Fan Fest. Not saying I totally disagree with you, but the hysterics put on other events last week that culminated with the fan fest. 

That would be much harder to do during the fall when practice is in full-swing.

32 minutes ago, hoosierdaddy_72 said:

Well HH usually draws like 11,000 and this event drew around 3,500 so I think you see the difference.  One is free and the other you had to pay to get a ticket. I would say a lot of people are not interested in helping the NIL and that is why you see the difference in attendance.

54 minutes ago, hoosierdaddy_72 said:

you risk marginalizing it by having what to many seems like the same thing two months earlier.

The hunger to watch IU basketball live far outweighs any risk that Hoosier Hysteria is marginalized by an NIL event in the summer. If you hold it, they will come.