Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2024) - PF Caleb Williams to Georgetown

Not sure how to feel about this one. Rated around 130. Just have to trust the scout on these recruitments. I haven’t made up my mind about our scouting yet. Clowney was a great scout. Sounds like a great kid and a smart kid too. Of all the 24s we offered this isn’t the one to intimidate. 23 going the way it went, then all these top end offers in 24/25. Keeping my eye on this one though.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Sidwell Friends thumps St. Andrew’s, claims MAC regular season title from The Washington Post.

Two months of Mid-Atlantic Conference basketball came down to a single game Friday night with simple stakes: No. 6 Sidwell Friends hosted No. 12 St. Andrew’s, with the winner taking the league’s regular season title.

Both teams entered with gaudy 20-4 records and only one conference loss, but the game wasn’t much of a contest: The Quakers dominated, 55-41, to earn a share of conference glory. The other half of the MAC title will go to the league’s tournament champion.

In the aftermath of Friday’s victory, Quakers forward Caleb Williams reflected on the not-so-simple road to this uncomplicated, winner-take-all evening.

“It’s been a difficult year to say the least,” the junior said. “We had a lot of injuries early. Had a lot of guys doing different things, playing new roles. It’s been a lot about teaching new guys how we do things and showing them that they came here to play in games like this one. This year has been all about getting everyone on the same page, and we’re now really close to doing that.”

Both the Lions (20-5) and the Quakers (21-4) entered Friday’s game with 10-1 conference marks. St. Andrew’s defeated Sidwell in late January, topping the defending champion Quakers on a miraculous, buzzer-beating and-one. The Lions, suddenly in pole position, were upset by Potomac School two weeks later.

On Friday, the rematch was fierce and physical. Neither team shot the ball well in the first half, but they beat each other up around the basket. Sidwell, backed by a raucous home crowd, led 21-18 at halftime.

The Quakers have long prided themselves on a strong defensive identity, with one of their goals being a single-digit quarter from the other team. In the third quarter Friday, Sidwell delivered its biggest single-digit quarter of the year, outscoring the Lions 18-3 in that eight minute stretch.

“Our defense picked up, our shots started going, and momentum picked up as we increased the lead,” senior guard Cam Gillus said. “That’s how we’ve put teams away all year. It all starts on the defensive end.”

Friday might not be the last time these teams meet this season, with the MAC tournament kicking off next week. The Quakers and the Lions are the top two seeds. If all goes chalk, they will meet again Feb. 26 with another crown on the line.

“Not done yet,” Gillus said after the win, surrounded by happy friends and family. “Definitely not done yet.”

After beating St. Andrews for the Mid-Atlantic Athletic Conference regular season title, they had a re-match yesterday for the conference tournament championship and Sidwell won 47-42.  Not a spectacular game for Williams scoring just 5 points and grabbing 2 rebounds.  Spent the last 4 minutes of the 2nd Q on the bench with 2 fouls.

Sidwell only reported points scored to MaxPreps this season and last season and his other stats are those I found from a variety of sources.  Williams missed a number of games this season due to a hand injury.   

22-23 Season -                                                                      21-22 Season - Full 31 games on MaxPreps

• Points - 18 games:  12.3                                          Points:  12.2
  • Reb - 10 games:  5.8                                               
  • Asst - 10 games:  2.2
  • Stls  - 9 games:  1.4
  • Blks - 9 games:  .8
  • TO - 9 games:  1.7

Last December I saw reports we had taken a look at his teammate '25 Jalen Rougier-Roane.

22-23 Season -                                                                    21-22 Season - Full 30 games on  MaxPreps

• Points - 30 games:  11.8                                       Points - 7.8
  • Reb - 15 games:  3.8
  • Asst - 15 games:  1.1
  • Stls - 15 games:  1.5
  • Blks - 14 games:  .3
  • TOs - 14 games:  1.5

Didn’t say it in this article, but has said previously that he’ll decide before the school year starts. Kind of feels like he might be staying home, but, in any event, IU appears to have somewhat de-prioritized him.

1 hour ago, Demo said:

Didn’t say it in this article, but has said previously that he’ll decide before the school year starts. Kind of feels like he might be staying home, but, in any event, IU appears to have somewhat de-prioritized him.

Rankings aren't everything but that is a pretty impressive list of schools for someone ranked 117.

He's not high on my personal list of players I want to land so I wouldn't be upset if he goes elsewhere and I'm totally okay with him not being an IU priority. 

9 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

Rankings aren't everything but that is a pretty impressive list of schools for someone ranked 117.

He's not high on my personal list of players I want to land so I wouldn't be upset if he goes elsewhere and I'm totally okay with him not being an IU priority. 

I like Williams a good bit. He’s been a productive kid in 1 of the best leagues anywhere. It just feels like the fit’s not real snug. When I watch him I see a small-ball pick and pop 4. Would be pretty surprised if they don’t look at him that way. But Williams seems to see himself on the wing, which for the purposes of a 6’’6”-6’7” kid with pro ambitions is certainly reasonable. But they’re just in on better kids in that sort of role.