Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

It'll take a bit to catch up to those well versed in "paying" players.

We won’t catch up. We could do whatever we want whenever we want. NIL under its current definition is the wild Wild West. We don’t have Nike or pockets as deep as the biggest of the dogs. And even if we do, we won’t reach to the bottom of said pockets.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

7 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

We won’t catch up. We could do whatever we want whenever we want. NIL under its current definition is the wild Wild West. We don’t have Nike or pockets as deep as the biggest of the dogs. And even if we do, we won’t reach to the bottom of said pockets.

It'll have tighter policed regulations ( I believe) in the next couple years. Under it's current definition it is NOT the wild wild west. Under the current lack of control it is. And it could bite some teams (Miami) in the @$$.

The definition is literally how IU has gone about it.  I don't think people give enough credence to the fact that all the cheating schools merely had to have their "donors" reroute the illegitimate money that they had earmarked for recruits to cars etc undert the guise of a new legitimate deal. Teams that weren't big cheaters didn't have people with earmarked money, and maybe even more so, those people with money might take a while to open up to the new way things are with NIL. It's not natural to give a kid $400k to represent your law firm or whatever...

11 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I remember when NIL first started and the staff members were puffing out their chests about how far ahead of the curve we were. Took about 5 seconds for us to get lapped. Our players are subjected to the hysterical bozos to get NIL while players at other schools are just given cash and cars. 

It'll have tighter policed regulations ( I believe) in the next couple years. Under it's current definition it is NOT the wild wild west. Under the current lack of control it is. And it could bite some teams (Miami) in the @$$.
The definition is literally how IU has gone about it.  I don't think people give enough credence to the fact that all the cheating schools merely had to have their "donors" reroute the illegitimate money that they had earmarked for recruits to cars etc undert the guise of a new legitimate deal. Teams that weren't big cheaters didn't have people with earmarked money, and maybe even more so, those people with money might take a while to open up to the new way things are with NIL. It's not natural to give a kid $400k to represent your law firm or whatever...

Right and wrong. However scared you want to be of the NCAA is the programs own mistake. No one cares. It is as much the wild Wild West as you want it to be. NCAA has no teeth. It’s also very easy to monetize it if you have the deep pockets willing to monetize it, as the successful (recruiting) programs do.

I remember when NIL first started and the staff members were puffing out their chests about how far ahead of the curve we were. Took about 5 seconds for us to get lapped. Our players are subjected to the hysterical bozos to get NIL while players at other schools are just given cash and cars. 

Crazy how that’s panned out after we won the NIL PR campaign. It’ll be interesting to see how this latest class does regarding NIL in the coming years. Is there some NIL money out there to lure Flory or other top end talent to Btown?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

22 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Crazy how that’s panned out after we won the NIL PR campaign. It’ll be interesting to see how this latest class does regarding NIL in the coming years. Is there some NIL money out there to lure Flory or other top end talent to Btown?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

My belief is that it will take a minute for Indiana to get up to speed in the cash and cars area, because the mindset was'nt already in the boosters for IU. We didn't have the illegitimate pipelines of UK, Kansas, etc earmarked that could be easily rerouted. An indiana fan didn't have X$ sitting around to pay players. The mindset of the legitimacy will have to change. Most of the new-comer fans that want to win at any cost, aren't successful enough to fund it. and those with the cash have more often taking pride in being the anti-Uk and still having 5 titles etc.

1 hour ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

My belief is that it will take a minute for Indiana to get up to speed in the cash and cars area, because the mindset was'nt already in the boosters for IU. We didn't have the illegitimate pipelines of UK, Kansas, etc earmarked that could be easily rerouted. An indiana fan didn't have X$ sitting around to pay players. The mindset of the legitimacy will have to change. Most of the new-comer fans that want to win at any cost, aren't successful enough to fund it. and those with the cash have more often taking pride in being the anti-Uk and still having 5 titles etc.

You have me stumped. There is so much to unpack here I'm not really sure where to start.

IU was able to pay some players before NIL. The NCAA has allowed for open season on paying players. If we're struggling to figure out how to pay players I've been giving the program way too much credit. There have been boosters that have wanted to pay players. There have been boosters that have figured out how to "assist" players and their families even when Knight was here.

Are you suggesting that IU, with their PR campaign being first for NIL, is struggling to figure out NIL while other programs throughout the country are chasing in on it? If that is the case what does that tell you about the program?

5 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

You have me stumped. There is so much to unpack here I'm not really sure where to start.

IU was able to pay some players before NIL. The NCAA has allowed for open season on paying players. If we're struggling to figure out how to pay players I've been giving the program way too much credit. There have been boosters that have wanted to pay players. There have been boosters that have figured out how to "assist" players and their families even when Knight was here.

Are you suggesting that IU, with their PR campaign being first for NIL, is struggling to figure out NIL while other programs throughout the country are chasing in on it? If that is the case what does that tell you about the program?

IU was the 1st (or among them) to create a student athlete dashboard for players to accept legitimate NIL offers under the rules laid out by the NCAA. Indiana also outlined policies and procedures for NIL for IU athletes. IU alos had multiple collectives established for nil.  In these regards, IU was at the forefront.  IU didn't tout how it was far ahead of the pace for basketball players, and as an institution was looking at all athletes through the same lens. 

I don't know about deal with RMK was hear. I hadn't heard about any specifically. When interviewed a year ago Dane Fife said there were 2 teams Knight did not want to lose to: Purdue and those with a cheating coach. I'm not sure what might have been sanctioned by Coach Knight.

it's yet to be seen what will slide under NIL.

2 hours ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

IU was the 1st (or among them) to create a student athlete dashboard for players to accept legitimate NIL offers under the rules laid out by the NCAA. Indiana also outlined policies and procedures for NIL for IU athletes. IU alos had multiple collectives established for nil.  In these regards, IU was at the forefront.  IU didn't tout how it was far ahead of the pace for basketball players, and as an institution was looking at all athletes through the same lens. 

I don't know about deal with RMK was hear. I hadn't heard about any specifically. When interviewed a year ago Dane Fife said there were 2 teams Knight did not want to lose to: Purdue and those with a cheating coach. I'm not sure what might have been sanctioned by Coach Knight.

it's yet to be seen what will slide under NIL.

A lot of bark and little bite on the NIL PR campaign from IU? Shocking

IU has never been the squeaky clean program a lot of fans have wanted or touted to other fan bases. NIL is open season and many of our fans are still wanting to play holier than thou, amazing.

On 10/11/2022 at 11:04 PM, HoosierHoops1 said:

I don’t think the NCAA is going to be reining anything in and we shouldn’t sit around assuming that the rules are going to be brought back to our conservative comfort levels, that genie is fully out of the bottle now. 

We’ve spent over a decade waiting and speculating on when the NCAA will bring the hammer down on UK, KU, UL, etc. for cheating much more egregious than NIL violations. It’s not going to happen. We need to adapt and start paying players competitively to come here. It’s pretty much now or never. 

9 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

A lot of bark and little bite on the NIL PR campaign from IU? Shocking

IU has never been the squeaky clean program a lot of fans have wanted or touted to other fan bases. NIL is open season and many of our fans are still wanting to play holier than thou, amazing.

I hear you, but I've yet to hear a story substantiating it.

Soon to be all american Clyde Lovellette had moved into his Indiana dorm when Kansas came and whisked him away. He won a title with the Jayhawks. I need something like this, not things happened, people paid money, donors existed.

19 minutes ago, Hoosier Roots said:

I don’t think the NCAA is going to be reining anything in and we shouldn’t sit around assuming that the rules are going to be brought back to our conservative comfort levels, that genie is fully out of the bottle now. 

We’ve spent over a decade waiting and speculating on when the NCAA will bring the hammer down on UK, KU, UL, etc. for cheating much more egregious than NIL violations. It’s not going to happen. We need to adapt and start paying players competitively to come here. It’s pretty much now or never. 

I believe it'll be state and national legislation that reigns in NIL. It won't have much to do with the NCAA except there will be more clear guidelines on what is or is not acceptable and what is legislatively illegal, not just against NCAA rules.

6 minutes ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

I hear you, but I've yet to hear a story substantiating it.

Soon to be all american Clyde Lovellette had moved into his Indiana dorm when Kansas came and whisked him away. He won a title with the Jayhawks. I need something like this, not things happened, people paid money, donors existed.

To me if IU was cheating under RMK the Indy press who hated him would have uncovered the wrong doings. Bill Benner and Robin Miller had so many run ins with RMK that they would have fought on who would break the story.

On 10/13/2022 at 6:34 AM, HoosierHoops1 said:

Knight did not want to lose to: Purdue and those with a cheating coach. I'm not sure what might have been sanctioned by Coach Knight.

Bobby Knight had many faults but cheating wasn't one of them. Press outside of Indiana would have nailed him if there was anything approaching cheating that was real.

2 hours ago, Honkyman said:

Bobby Knight had many faults but cheating wasn't one of them. Press outside of Indiana would have nailed him if there was anything approaching cheating that was real.

The Indianapolis Star writers Bill Benner and Robin Miller would have tried to find the dirt because neither one of them could stand RMK.

Season opener for Bidunga and Kokomo on the road at Westfield.  A real barnburner to open the season.  It was 6-4 after 1; 14-10 at the half with Kokomo leading.  High scoring 3rd Q with Kokomo leading 26-24 going into the 4th.  Raby tweeted that Woody, Hunter and Walsh are in the gym.

12 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Season opener for Bidunga and Kokomo on the road at Westfield.  A real barnburner to open the season.  It was 6-4 after 1; 14-10 at the half with Kokomo leading.  High scoring 3rd Q with Kokomo leading 26-24 going into the 4th.  Raby tweeted that Woody, Hunter and Walsh are in the gym.

They must still think IU has a shot then....hope it's not wasted effort.