Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

His dad was the reason Perrea and Jurkin was suspended 9 games at IU.  If this kid turns out to be more like Perrea it wouldn't be worth it.

They were suspended for bumper stickers lol. It was a joke of a suspension. I mean yeah of course if the kid stinks like Perea it’s not worth it. But Perea was in a different recruiting tier. He was #53 in his class. Flory is #4. Their games aren’t similar to one another. What’s the downside for Cincinnati here? Not much.

19 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

This really just isn’t true at all. Sampson wasn’t doing anything that those guys don’t do. Hell, Tom Izzo covers up his players’ sexual assaults. 

Central to my point was that Sampson made those other coaches "look" clean in comparison, by wearing his indiscretions like a badge of honor.  

22 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

They were suspended for bumper stickers lol. It was a joke of a suspension. I mean yeah of course if the kid stinks like Perea it’s not worth it. But Perea was in a different recruiting tier. He was #53 in his class. Flory is #4. Their games aren’t similar to one another. What’s the downside for Cincinnati here? Not much.

He started out as a top 10 5 star player

Adams is an up and comer assistant that has some nice connections.    It was only a matter of time before a bigger school came a knocking.    The question becomes should IU of  taken a chance on him after Dane was fired?  Maybe but Woody is big on loyalty and Walsh was his play.     Don’t even think he interviewed anyone else for it.   Tried to warn people Woodys approach to recruiting is not how college coaches typically recruit and that it would probably turn away some kids in longer recruitments.   People wanting IU to recruit like everyone else are going to be disappointed over Woodys tenure.   I don’t see him changing his approach if he doesn’t feel it needs to be changed.   Fans might think it will need changing but I doubt he will.       Also if anyone wants to continue the conversation about Sampson and his time at IU please make another thread about it and keep it out it Florys thread.  Thanks 

56 minutes ago, triple said:

Central to my point was that Sampson made those other coaches "look" clean in comparison, by wearing his indiscretions like a badge of honor.  

The only reason you know these things at IU and not other schools is our administration has been opposed to helping the program win and succeed.  Other schools help and cover for the coaches.  IU has historically done the opposite.  I, Mean, we all love Eric Gordon, right?  Houston isn't constantly in the news for its players misgivings.  

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

Adams is an up and comer assistant that has some nice connections.    It was only a matter of time before a bigger school came a knocking.    The question becomes should IU of  taken a chance on him after Dane was fired?  Maybe but Woody is big on loyalty and Walsh was his play.     Don’t even think he interviewed anyone else for it.   Tried to warn people Woodys approach to recruiting is not how college coaches typically recruit and that it would probably turn away some kids in longer recruitments.   People wanting IU to recruit like everyone else are going to be disappointed over Woodys tenure.   I don’t see him changing his approach if he doesn’t feel it needs to be changed.   Fans might think it will need changing but I doubt he will.       Also if anyone wants to continue the conversation about Sampson and his time at IU please make another thread about it and keep it out it Florys thread.  Thanks 

I agree with everything you said here. I'm personally not as sold on Adams as others but I'm not in the know of how many connections he has. Wonder why Jon Holmes doesn't get as much credit as an up-and-comer assistant as Adams does. He's from Indiana, he has Indiana elite connections, plus his dad has to know everyone in the state. Or even little Dakich but I think he is looked at as a good young coach. 

I'm admittedly not as 'insider informed' as some, but my take:

• The chances of Flory Bigunga being really, really good in college are very high. His floor is as an elite rim runner, shot alter-er, and constantly active big. His ceiling is unlimited.
  • No player is worth a handler hire, unless that handler is a worthy hire independent of the player. Drew Adams isn't "someone's cousin" so he would have been worth considering, with Bidunga as a relevant factor.
  • If we are going to have good recruiting and a consistently winning program under Woody, we will be able to do so with or without Flory Bidunga, Arrinten Page, Jamie Kaiser, etc. Because as I constantly repeat:

It's not who you don't get; it's who you get that matters.

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

• The chances of Flory Bigunga being really, really good in college are very high. His floor is as an elite rim runner, shot alter-er, and constantly active big. His ceiling is unlimited.
  • No player is worth a handler hire, unless that handler is a worthy hire independent of the player. Drew Adams isn't "someone's cousin" so he would have been worth considering, with Bidunga as a relevant factor.
  • If we are going to have good recruiting and a consistently winning program under Woody, we will be able to do so with or without Flory Bidunga, Arrinten Page, Jamie Kaiser, etc. Because as I constantly repeat:

Agree 100% with the bolded. I think part of the frustration is that from the outside perspective, our targets have come and gone, and we get flashbacks of late Crean years when we struck out and ended up taking an NAIA level player as backup. With the transfer portal, that almost certainly wont happen, but the uncertainty understandably leads to croot anxiety. 

12 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Certainly, but we’ve been missing on a number of our targets in the 2023 class. We will have some very big holes to fill next year with the number of guys we’re projected to lose. Like almost our entire starting lineup. Whiffing on our targets Increases the chances we’ll be filling those holes with not so great options. After seeing the money being thrown around to portal guys, I’m not sure we’ll be in the running for top portal talent either. 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Adams isn’t the only handler in this recruitment which is why people are hearing different things when it comes to if his recruitment is open.    It’s been reported that IU sees a path at landing him without the Adams connection.  They are going to try.  Personally I don’t think any school has a chance without the Adams connection but that’s just my opinion 

6 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Certainly, but we’ve been missing on a number of our targets in the 2023 class. We will have some very big holes to fill next year with the number of guys we’re projected to lose. Like almost our entire starting lineup. Whiffing on our targets Increases the chances we’ll be filling those holes with not so great options. After seeing the money being thrown around to portal guys, I’m not sure we’ll be in the running for top portal talent either. 

Next year's starting lineup is already on the team or already committed. None of the recruiting misses, with the possible exception of Bidunga, would have changed that. Those misses will severely hurt the depth for next year and going forward if there are not some late additions though. 

We will need a near miracle of program development to be a top 20 team next year. We are projecting unproven guys into starting spots and expecting to be elite. Can it happen? I suppose. It was going to be a really hard year to replace all that production anyway, but 2023 recruiting won’t impress anyone too much.

I’ve been saying for a while, Transfer Portal still gives us hope. And it’s actually what we need. I’ll hold on to hope forever and I’ll be watching the transfer portal with baited breath.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

25 minutes ago, hoosierbgh said:

Next year's starting lineup is already on the team or already committed. None of the recruiting misses, with the possible exception of Bidunga, would have changed that. Those misses will severely hurt the depth for next year and going forward if there are not some late additions though. 

I mean if we’re not going after players capable of starting over the current backups that’s a big big problem. Our bench is getting very overrated. The Trey Galloways and Logan Duncombs of the college bball world may be nice kids but you’re not a contender next season relying on them to start on your team. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I mean if we’re not going after players capable of starting over the current backups that’s a big big problem. Our bench is getting very overrated. The Trey Galloways and Logan Duncombs of the college bball world may be nice kids but you’re not a contender next season relying on them to start on your team. 

We were not going to be a contender relying on freshman to start either, especially with who we were recruiting. I'm not even sure where the idea that Page would be an automatic starter and upgrade over Duncomb even comes from and certainly none of the guards we missed on had a hope in hell of starting over Galloway. 

16 minutes ago, hoosierbgh said:

We were not going to be a contender relying on freshman to start either, especially with who we were recruiting. I'm not even sure where the idea that Page would be an automatic starter and upgrade over Duncomb even comes from and certainly none of the guards we missed on had a hope in hell of starting over Galloway. 

Plenty of teams rely on freshmen. Duke started two in the final four game last year, and played a third 29 minutes. Some of IU’s best teams in the past two decades have relied on outstanding freshmen. Zeller in 2011. Thomas Bryant in 2016. We’re counting on two ourselves this year. A talent like Flory would do wonders for next year’s team (assuming he reclassifies). He’s exactly what a team losing its starting frontcourt needs. 

Plenty of teams rely on freshmen. Duke started two in the final four game last year, and played a third 29 minutes. Some of IU’s best teams in the past two decades have relied on outstanding freshmen. Zeller in 2011. Thomas Bryant in 2016. We’re counting on two ourselves this year. A talent like Flory would do wonders for next year’s team (assuming he reclassifies). He’s exactly what a team losing its starting frontcourt needs. 

Yup.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

10 hours ago, triple said:

He didn’t though. The difference was that Indiana university decided to out and expose their own coach. Other schools don’t do that - they ignore, defend, support

7 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Adams isn’t the only handler in this recruitment which is why people are hearing different things when it comes to if his recruitment is open.    It’s been reported that IU sees a path at landing him without the Adams connection.  They are going to try.  Personally I don’t think any school has a chance without the Adams connection but that’s just my opinion 

I know what you mean but Indiana has an Adams connection