Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

On 7/7/2022 at 3:22 PM, Hardwood83 said:

Yep. If the conference merry-go-round of the last decade or so has proved anything it's that tradition, geo proximity and history have absolutely no influence at all. None. It's become straight up mercenary "who pays the most?" 

This isn’t true. If it were schools like IU and Vandy wouldn’t be involved in either major conference.  

3 hours ago, str8baller said:

This isn’t true. If it were schools like IU and Vandy wouldn’t be involved in either major conference.  

It is true and there are many examples to prove the point, off the top of my head: Missouri, A&M, Nebraska, Colorado, Oklahoma, Texas, Maryland, now USC & UCLA to name a few, and that is only from more recent Power 5 conferences. Just because it hasn't reached EVERY aspect (kicking out the weak) -yet- doesn't mean it's not happening. It's still evolving. Do you know of a single instance where a school turned down a "better" conference because it would sever rivalries or didn't make sense geographically? Yeah, me either, but there are lots of stories of schools begging to get in and their rivals and partner schools don't factor in the equation. Oklahoma is going on it's 3rd conference in my lifetime- and they are a top 5 football program.  

IU and Vandy have the good fortune of already being in the right conference. What you are pointing out is "consolidation", likely phase 2. There is open discussion of a 50-60 team football division. Do you believe IU or Vandy is gonna make that cut? Football powerhouses like Miami, Florida St, Clemson and USC are watching their conferences disintegrate around them. Texas has their own sports network. Oregon is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nike. All the success, money, history and prestige in the world and they still are getting swept up in the current. Nothing is certain and a historically awful IU football program is definitely at risk of being left behind. 

7 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

It is true and there are many examples to prove the point, off the top of my head: Missouri, A&M, Nebraska, Colorado, Oklahoma, Texas, Maryland, now USC & UCLA to name a few, and that is only from more recent Power 5 conferences. Just because it hasn't reached EVERY aspect (kicking out the weak) -yet- doesn't mean it's not happening. It's still evolving. Do you know of a single instance where a school turned down a "better" conference because it would sever rivalries or didn't make sense geographically? Yeah, me either, but there are lots of stories of schools begging to get in and their rivals and partner schools don't factor in the equation. Oklahoma is going on it's 3rd conference in my lifetime- and they are a top 5 football program.  

IU and Vandy have the good fortune of already being in the right conference. What you are pointing out is "consolidation", likely phase 2. There is open discussion of a 50-60 team football division. Do you believe IU or Vandy is gonna make that cut? Football powerhouses like Miami, Florida St, Clemson and USC are watching their conferences disintegrate around them. Texas has their own sports network. Oregon is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nike. All the success, money, history and prestige in the world and they still are getting swept up in the current. Nothing is certain and a historically awful IU football program is definitely at risk of being left behind. 

Purely my opinion... But I think we'll end with 3 super conferences. Of course the B10 and SEC. Then likely either a much expanded B12, or what is more or less a merger between the B12 and better PAC schools. 

The B10 and SEC are going to pick off teams and likely get to 20 each. A ton of chatter about the SEC going after Clemson, FSU, Miami, Baylor, Louisville, OK St, etc.. Even some about UNC. They seem more content than the B10 to stay closer to the SE geo than the B10 to the MW. IMO, it's simply easier for the SEC to acquire good teams close to home.  

But after the B10 / SEC dust settles, there's still going to be a lot of good teams remaining, thus the 3rd big league. And overall, I just think a 3x20 type of situation leaves IU very safe. I don't see the B10 ever dumping schools, at least not in the next 10+ years. 

Read a couple reports this week that FSU is now ramping up internal discussion about leaving the ACC.

Per the same sources, they have talked to both the B10 and SEC

I'd be more than fine with either FSU or Miami. 

34 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

I’m hearing that everyone is waiting on the Big Ten before possibly thinking of joining the SEC. Simply because the addition of USC and UCLA have made our conference  available in all the time zones.  

It's likely made the B10 a lot more attractive to some of the better teams in the B12.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in the ACC. All of the ACC teams have huge buyouts if they leave. Something like 500M if they bolt prior to 2036 (when the ESPN contract expires). If reports are true about FSU, I guess it's not a show stopper. I'd wonder, and perhaps assume that the B10 might help with the buyout if they really wanted the team. That's one reason why I think teams with poor FB teams are a lot less likely to be targeted. 

Good article on what led up to the USC and UCLA additions, and also decent discussion on the PAC, B12, and ACC. I knew UCLA was having financial trouble, but didn't know it was that bad. Talks a little about the break up of Cal and UCLA (sibling schools) and also the exodus's impact on the Rose Bowl tradition. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34217498/inside-stunning-usc-ucla-move-big-ten-chaos-followed

Article on UNC including their Chancellor's comments.

https://chapelboro.com/sports/optimistic-kevin-guskiewicz-talks-unc-and-conference-realignment

TLDR... ACC is locked up with ESPN through 2036, but very obvious UNC is not happy with the deal. The "grant of rights" on top of the $120M buyout makes it pretty hard to leave the ACC. The grant of rights basically means the ACC owns the school's rights through 2036 even if they leave the ACC lol. 

Given the SEC is tied up to 2034 with ESPN, not sure why ESPN would want to simply give the ACC more money given they're on the hook through 2036... now maybe if the ACC adds schools, but why would they just offer more if they're not getting anything new.... 

16 hours ago, Southside said:

Article on UNC including their Chancellor's comments.

https://chapelboro.com/sports/optimistic-kevin-guskiewicz-talks-unc-and-conference-realignment

TLDR... ACC is locked up with ESPN through 2036, but very obvious UNC is not happy with the deal. The "grant of rights" on top of the $120M buyout makes it pretty hard to leave the ACC. The grant of rights basically means the ACC owns the school's rights through 2036 even if they leave the ACC lol. 

Given the SEC is tied up to 2034 with ESPN, not sure why ESPN would want to simply give the ACC more money given they're on the hook through 2036... now maybe if the ACC adds schools, but why would they just offer more if they're not getting anything new.... 

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/article263256073.html

15 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Same here -- I was able to read it despite not subscribing.  Might look different on a phone, though, which might not allow the banner to be clicked off.

I'm on a phone and was able to pull it up fine without being a subscriber.

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2022/07/14/power-5-desirability-rankings-sec-big-ten-acc

Nice article from SI ranking the desirability of all power 5 colleges.  It’s not perfect, but the end result is in line with the general sentiment.  IU is #49 out of 69.  Top 5 available is no big surprise.

1. Washington 
  2. Clemson
  3. Stanford 
  4. Florida State
  5. North Carolina, Oregon (tie)

On 7/11/2022 at 11:13 PM, Southside said:

Side note....I'm embarrassed to say that when people refer to Louisville as U of6, I don't know what that means.  Any help would be appreciated.  :(