Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Baylor doesn't move the needle for me at all. Neither does Duke. The conference should focus on large state schools with huge alumni bases. WA, OR, UNC, UVA all good fits. 

BTN also needs a massive investment in technology and content. BTN.com and BTN Plus are disasters. 

7 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

My wife and I did a grand California tour about a month ago.  I loved everything except San Fran. I hate the traffic. I hated the parking I had somebody make a racist comment about my daughter and my wife’s cousins boyfriend stopped me from hurting them. 

I would move to Fresno though in a heartbeat if I got offered a good job. 

When we were there I told my wife if we could both double our salary I'd live in San Luis Obispo or Santa Barbara in a heartbeat. I did like Fresno too, not to mention Yosemite and the other national parks in the area. 

17 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

My wife and I did a grand California tour about a month ago.  I loved everything except San Fran. I hate the traffic. I hated the parking I had somebody make a racist comment about my daughter and my wife’s cousins boyfriend stopped me from hurting them. 

I assume this is sarcasm, but you really visited Fresno and still want to move there?  Sincere question

3 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

I assume this is sarcasm, but you really visited Fresno and still want to move there?  Sincere question

It’s less Fresno itself and it’s geographic proximity to everything. You are a days drive from just about anything 

46 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Our fam vacations have included San Diego, Santa Barbara (my middle child went to the Snow Valley Basketball Camp as a young teenager, excellent camp), Lake Tahoe (headed back again) and San Fran, loved them all. We went to San Fran last summer, had a blast, but we knew better than to rent a car, car break-ins are really bad there. No racist incidents at all there for us. All major cities have their issues. 

3 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

It’s less Fresno itself and it’s geographic proximity to everything. You are a days drive from just about anything 

Only if you think LA, the Bay, and Vegas are everything. 

But I agree Fresno is not bad, and great if want to be in the middle of it all.

It's a pretty moderate area politically, unlike the LA and Bay areas.

25 minutes ago, Southside said:

Only if you think LA, the Bay, and Vegas are everything. 

But I agree Fresno is not bad, and great if want to be in the middle of it all.

It's a pretty moderate area politically, unlike the LA and Bay areas.

A days drive from the Grand Canyon. The ocean, a foreign county.  Like 20-30 pro sports teams. Mountains, forests. Several theme parks.  Dozens of museums.   God knows what else.  

I doubt there’s anywhere else in the US where you are a 10 hour drive or less from as many different experiences.  

8 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

A days drive from the Grand Canyon. The ocean, a foreign county.  Like 20-30 pro sports teams. Mountains, forests. Several theme parks.  Dozens of museums.   God knows what else.  

I doubt there’s anywhere else in the US where you are a 10 hour drive or less from as many different experiences.  

I've traveled a lot, and simply would prefer different things. I'm flying anything over 8ish hours. 

But it's personal preference. Love the GC, but not something that's going to impact my choice of city. Love the ocean a lot, and my next move will to the coast (not Cali though). Sports teams don't impact my choice. I've been to MX a ton, so a long drive there isn't moving the needle either. 

But I do have a lot of found memories of Cali and the WC. Had the chance to travel all up and down the WC. Several business trips as well, some a week+ long that started SD and hopped to several places ending in Vancouver. I absolutely love SD. Would never live in LA or the Bay area after my last trip.

And overall, just so many cons now to Cali. Taxes would be a big consideration on top of all the recent stuff going down. IIRC, Cali has the highest rate of people leaving, and one of the highest, if not highest rate of businesses moving away. So things are likely to decline more in the near future.

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Great area, I’ve been there many times.  I’ve hike most of that area, I could make that area one of my retirement destinations.  The only thing that concerns me about that area is the water issue.  Lake Powell and Mead are at their lowest levels ever and the problem isn’t going to correct itself.  

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Since this has turned into a Pro/Con Cali thread (must be July) I'll chime in . You are absolutely correct, geographically. What a beautiful, interesting and varied state. Mountains, rugged coasts, sandy beaches, deserts, forests, agriculture. Unlimited attractions, activities and entertainments like Surf and ski in the same day, etc. The weather climate is A+, The political climate and quality of life is another story though. For me it is an amazing place to visit, couldn't live there. 

1 minute ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Great area, I’ve been there many times.  I’ve hike most of that area, I could make that area one of my retirement destinations.  The only thing that concerns me about that area is the water issue.  Lake Powell and Mead are at their lowest levels ever and the problem isn’t going to correct itself.  

There a tons of youtube vids documenting it. It is noticeably dropping by the day. Not sure what the answer is to that. Billions of $$ worth of thirsty agriculture in that big ol valley.

Just now, Hardwood83 said:

There a tons of youtube vids documenting it. It is noticeably dropping by the day. Not sure what the answer is to that. Billions of $$ worth of thirsty agriculture in that big ol valley.

They have been talking about building a canal from the Mississippi to the Colorado River, which feeds both lakes.  If they do that, it could work or it could create a shortage in the Midwest.  Not sure!  I know  this, it won’t be cheap whatever they decide 

12 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

They have been talking about building a canal from the Mississippi to the Colorado River, which feeds both lakes.  If they do that, it could work or it could create a shortage in the Midwest.  Not sure!  I know  this, it won’t be cheap whatever they decide 

That sounds crazy. 

For the life of me, can't understand why they don't focus on desalinization. Several other countries and states are building plants left and right. Saudi produces a ton. MX too. Australia is going all on in on it. Tampa has the largest plant in the US, and does like 20+M gallons a day, costing about 0.003 per gallon.  That's a cost to an average household of about $7/month (purely production costs).

15 minutes ago, Southside said:

That sounds crazy. 

For the life of me, can't understand why they don't focus on desalinization. Several other countries and states are building plants left and right. Saudi produces a ton. MX too. Australia is going all on in on it. Tampa has the largest plant in the US, and does like 20+M gallons a day, costing about 0.003 per gallon.  That's a cost to an average household of about $7/month (purely production costs).

That sounds like a pretty economical plan than digging a canal, I’m in.  I’ll buy stock in it too!  I think that should be their first step, the last resort should be doing the canal.

29 minutes ago, Southside said:

That sounds crazy. 

I think they tried to build one and got stopped by the NIMBY attitude 

43 minutes ago, Southside said:

That sounds crazy. 

I honestly hadn't even realized desalination was a proven technology and realistic option until recently. Israel appears to set a great standard for implementing it to an arid region.

How California can waste billions and bungle an attempt to build a high-speed rail between LA and SF but not consider desalination blows my mind. 

36 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

That sounds like a pretty economical plan than digging a canal, I’m in.  I’ll buy stock in it too!  I think that should be their first step, the last resort should be doing the canal.

A canal would be so crazy expensive, not to mention the impact to the environment. 

24 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I think they tried to build one and got stopped by the NIMBY attitude 

IIRC, they have one in Carlsbad/SD, or at least were building one about 5 years ago. I have a buddy in Cardiff that was all excited about the news when it broke. Not sure if it got stopped though. 

5 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

I honestly hadn't even realized desalination was a proven technology and realistic option until recently. Israel appears to set a great standard for implementing it to an arid region.

How California can waste billions and bungle an attempt to build a high-speed rail between LA and SF but not consider desalination blows my mind. 

Not sure the rank now, but I think Saudi leads in production. Something like 25% of the world total. 

But the land of down under has been really been going all in per one of my old employees in Sydney. It's fuzzy now, but pretty sure he told me that they were building plants that would be powered by wind turbines, so pretty much a net/net boom for what is considered a process that is a little energy intensive. 

But yes, given the train to nowhere... nothing surprises me about gov clusters in Cali. 

I have never heard of desalination until this thread but If these other drier climate countries are using them successfully, then why in the heck hasn’t California adopted the concept.  They seem to adopt everything else that’s a pain in the rear, why not give desalination a try?

2 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I have never heard of desalination until this thread but If these other drier climate countries are using them successfully, then why in the heck hasn’t California adopted the concept.  They seem to adopt everything else that’s a pain in the rear, why not give desalination a try?

There are adverse effects that are difficult to mitigate.  Plus they require a huge amount of water.  I think mostly California is banking on modern advances in farming that will reduce the need for water for agriculture