Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

nerdvana

UCLA and USC Joining the Big Ten

14 minutes ago, rayl456 said:

Maybe that should include coaches, as well.  IU has a golden ticket to the big boy conference, which makes it a desirable location for coaches at schools on the outside who want to get in.  

Amen.

1 hour ago, DChoosier said:

I wonder if 6-12 years from now OSU, UM, PSU question why they are giving IU, PU and NW an equal share of the conference money and if Bama, Georgia, Texas wonder why they are giving an equal share to Miss State, Vandy, UK.

A super conference, not currently on our radar, might evolve.

Those schools also need Ws. 

1 hour ago, DChoosier said:

I wonder if 6-12 years from now OSU, UM, PSU question why they are giving IU, PU and NW an equal share of the conference money and if Bama, Georgia, Texas wonder why they are giving an equal share to Miss State, Vandy, UK.

A super conference, not currently on our radar, might evolve.

They are already are questioning this. The Buckeyes publicly stated recently that they considered going independent during the first football season of the pandemic. 

7 minutes ago, ziggyiu said:

They are already are questioning this. The Buckeyes publicly stated recently that they considered going independent during the first football season of the pandemic. 

Wouldn't really of worked out that year. ND even joined the ACC temporarily due to the pandemic. 

There's been talk about a super league for years though. TX and ND talked about forming their own super conference a decade or so ago. 

But as said above, all teams need Ws too. And the path to the playoffs matters. 

42 minutes ago, Southside said:

Wouldn't really of worked out that year. ND even joined the ACC temporarily due to the pandemic. 

There's been talk about a super league for years though. TX and ND talked about forming their own super conference a decade or so ago. 

But as said above, all teams need Ws too. And the path to the playoffs matters. 

They were going to do it b/c the B1G had cancelled the football season initially. If there's one brand in the conference that could get its own deal, it'd be the Buckeyes. Ultimately though, even schools/brands like OSU benefit from the IUs and Northwesterns of the world because they bring in stronger demand in different markets. Also, they bring in research dollars/insights that are shared among conference members that benefit the broader academic community.  

11 minutes ago, ziggyiu said:

They were going to do it b/c the B1G had cancelled the football season initially. If there's one brand in the conference that could get its own deal, it'd be the Buckeyes. Ultimately though, even schools/brands like OSU benefit from the IUs and Northwesterns of the world because they bring in stronger demand in different markets. Also, they bring in research dollars/insights that are shared among conference members that benefit the broader academic community.  

Yup, but it would have been a one year thing. 

As far as brands are concerned, Michigan is slightly more valuable than OSU. 

But all big programs needs Ws. And they also need homes for their Olympic sports. 

Kevin Warren on potential expansion:

“Regarding expansion, … it may include future expansion. But it will be done for the right reasons, at the right time,” Warren said, per SI’s Pat Forde. “We will not expand just to expand. We will be strategic.”

“Where expansion goes? I don’t know. … I’m embracing change,” Warren explained, per Forde. “I’m going to be very aggressive. We want to be aggressive in how we build this. We’re in a stage of probably a five-year period of change.”

---------------------------------------------------

Sounds to me like the Big Ten isn't done, likely expands to twenty teams.  Would guess that they take the next year to determine where they want to expand and that it will be largely market based.

37 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

“Regarding expansion, … it may include future expansion. But it will be done for the right reasons, at the right time,” Warren said, per SI’s Pat Forde. “We will not expand just to expand. We will be strategic.”

“Where expansion goes? I don’t know. … I’m embracing change,” Warren explained, per Forde. “I’m going to be very aggressive. We want to be aggressive in how we build this. We’re in a stage of probably a five-year period of change.”

Sounds to me like the Big Ten isn't done, likely expands to twenty teams.  Would guess that they take the next year to determine where they want to expand and that it will be largely market based.

Both, market and region.  I think they’ll want to go south and southwest next, IMO

10 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

IMO, we'll see three 20 team conferences. Perhaps 4. 

The B12 IMO learned their lessons, and will likely be the next to up their number. 

The PAC is totally vulnerable at this point, so you could see some desperation either from the remaining PAC teams, or the conference in general.

B10 and SEC are incredibly strong right now, and the B12 is trending up (here in the now). ACC is in a weird space with their buy-out and future TV rights clause. PAC is totally in jeopardy.

9 hours ago, go iu bb said:

I just saw that the Big 12 is supposedly trying to poach Minnesota from the B1G. Won't happen because UM won't take the pay cut.

Yup. Saw that too.

Doesn't make much sense to me except for maybe the B12 once to go straight up the center of the US from TX to MN... lol. They have a nice geo column working for them, which stops at Iowa. .

MN is one of the founding B10 members. I wouldn't cry or anything if they left, but yes, it would be a pay cut for them. 

IMO, they should focus on picking off the PAC teams. PAC is ripe. 

15 hours ago, Southside said:

Yup. Saw that too.

Doesn't make much sense to me except for maybe the B12 once to go straight up the center of the US from TX to MN... lol. They have a nice geo column working for them, which stops at Iowa. .

MN is one of the founding B10 members. I wouldn't cry or anything if they left, but yes, it would be a pay cut for them. 

IMO, they should focus on picking off the PAC teams. PAC is ripe. 

Supposedly the B12 has reached out to virtually every PAC team (LINK).  I'm sure some of the PAC teams are holding out hope that the B10 comes knocking again.  The remainder recognize that a B12 offer isn't going to go away, so they are in no rush to bail on the PAC.  Since the media rights deals for the two conferences as currently constituted will only be marginally different at this point anyway, they are probably in a wait and see mode.

1 hour ago, moyemayhem said:

Supposedly the B12 has reached out to virtually every PAC team (LINK).  I'm sure some of the PAC teams are holding out hope that the B10 comes knocking again.  The remainder recognize that a B12 offer isn't going to go away, so they are in no rush to bail on the PAC.  Since the media rights deals for the two conferences as currently constituted will only be marginally different at this point anyway, they are probably in a wait and see mode.

I wouldn't say the B12 offer won't go away. They're obviously being aggressive in their attempts to add, but you can only have so many lol. 

I agree many of the PAC are hoping for a B10 offer, but I think there are likely some that know it's unlikely they get a knock. 

Hats off to the B12 for pushing. They can't afford to sit back and be picky like the B10 and SEC. And they don't have buyout/TV-rights barrier that the ACC does. 

I guess I'm a little surprised there's not more merger talk. 

1 hour ago, Southside said:

I wouldn't say the B12 offer won't go away. They're obviously being aggressive in their attempts to add, but you can only have so many lol. 

I agree many of the PAC are hoping for a B10 offer, but I think there are likely some that know it's unlikely they get a knock. 

Hats off to the B12 for pushing. They can't afford to sit back and be picky like the B10 and SEC. And they don't have buyout/TV-rights barrier that the ACC does. 

I guess I'm a little surprised there's not more merger talk. 

I think the B12 would gobble up all the PAC teams if they could... they're not in those markets, and there really aren't any alternatives on the west coast that are attractive.

If geography is no longer a concern, then I think the obvious solution would be a merger between the ACC and PAC 10.  That conference would be much better situated for long-term success than the B12, even if more teams are picked off by the B10 and SEC.  The academic makeup of both conferences is also much more complementary than either would be with the B12 (if that matters).  Not doing something bold like that, dooms either conference to being second tier.

I think 2 of the 3 need to merge to stay relevant. It's safe to assume the B10 will pick off a few more teams from those conferences. SEC too. I know geo is less of factor from a trend perspective, but wouldn't doubt to see a PAC/B12 merger.

The B12 will have a FL and MW team to go along with WV in a year or so. Expanding W would give them the biggest total market with only the B10 with comparable national reach. 

The ACC's TV deal will likely turn off teams from joining, just as it makes it hard for teams to leave. But FSU has already knocked on the B10's door, so it's not a line that won't be crossed. 

All 3 conferences are in jeopardy, but the PAC is ripest. If OR leaves, it's incredibly weak. OR and WA and it's easily the worst conference if not the worst already.