Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

nerdvana

UCLA and USC Joining the Big Ten

17 hours ago, AKHoosier said:

I'd bet lots of money the B1G makes a play for 2 more to get to 18 now, and they come from Washington, Colorado, or  Oregon.

I find it hard to believe USC/UCLA make this move knowing their closest road game would be 1500 miles away in Lincoln, NE.  They likely already had reason to believe other Pac 12 schools would get an invite too.

Colorado would definitely make sense. 

Big 10 is not done.  

I expect in the not too distant future Washington, Oregon, Stanford, Cal, and Colorado will make their case for joining.  I'd bet some subset of those schools will end up in the Big Ten. 

1. Washington: 14th biggest market, good football school, AAU
  2. Oregon: 25th biggest market, good football school, NIKE $$$, AAU
  3. Stanford: 6th biggest market, elite academically, endowment $$$*, AAU
  4. Cal: 6th biggest market, may have an in as a sister school to UCLA, AAU
  5. Colorado: 17th biggest market, AAU

All those schools are better fits academically with the Big Ten than the SEC, and USC and UCLA serve as local rivals facilitating the bridge.

I think Notre Dame, Boston College, North Carolina, and Duke also seem like likely targets.  Florida State and Miami would be great financially, but I just think it's going to be hard to pry them from the SEC where they seem like better fits.

*Stanford has a $37.8B endowment... the entire Big Ten has a $75B endowment.

10 minutes ago, moyemayhem said:

Big 10 is not done.  

I expect in the not too distant future Washington, Oregon, Stanford, Cal, and Colorado will make their case for joining.  I'd bet some subset of those schools will end up in the Big Ten. 

1. Washington: 14th biggest market, good football school, AAU
  2. Oregon: 25th biggest market, good football school, NIKE $$$, AAU
  3. Stanford: 6th biggest market, elite academically, endowment $$$*, AAU
  4. Cal: 6th biggest market, may have an in as a sister school to UCLA, AAU
  5. Colorado: 17th biggest market, AAU

All those schools are better fits academically with the Big Ten than the SEC, and USC and UCLA serve as local rivals facilitating the bridge.

I think Notre Dame, Boston College, North Carolina, and Duke also seem like likely targets.  Florida State and Miami would be great financially, but I just think it's going to be hard to pry them from the SEC where they seem like better fits.

*Stanford has a $37.8B endowment... the entire Big Ten has a $75B endowment.

The Stanford and Cal area has nice market size, but their fan interest is low. Next time Stanford football is on TV, take a look at the stands. Cal is even worse. I have a few friends in the Bay area. One said there's more USC and UCLA fans there than Stanford fans lol. 

Regarding FSU and Miami. I just can't see all 3 big FL FB teams in the SEC. But I wouldn't be shocked. 

2 hours ago, AKHoosier said:

That means nothing.

You are right, but I think it's become abundantly clear that the only thing that matters is projected Football TV money. I can't think of any other reason to cobble together a coast to coast conglomerate with no commonality at all. It's like the SEC and Big Ten(20?) are playing Risk and simply acquiring territory.  

6 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

You are right, but I think it's become abundantly clear that the only thing that matters is projected Football TV money. I can't think of any other reason to cobble together a coast to coast conglomerate with no commonality at all. It's like the SEC and Big Ten(20?) are playing Risk and simply acquiring territory.  

That is a very logical way to put it.  

21 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

The B10 simply couldn't afford to do nothing after the TX/OK acquisition by the SEC. Too much TV money at stake.

The SEC owned half the top 20. The B10, only a quarter. 

ND would certainly help even things out, but just not sure ND can get past the bad blood/history. 

Here's the top 20 after the 2020 season in TV viewership. 

1. Ohio State (5.19M)
  2. Alabama (5.09M)
  3. Michigan (4.18M)
  4. Notre Dame (3.61M)
  5. LSU (3.22M)
  6. Auburn (3.12M)
  7. Georgia (2.91M)
  8. Oklahoma (2.90M)
  9. Clemson (2.67M)
  10. Penn State (2.55M)
  11. Florida (2.46M)
  12. Wisconsin (2.27M)
  13. Texas (2.269M)
  14. Florida State (2.23M)
  15. Michigan State (2.20M)
  16. Southern Cal (1.98M)
  17. Texas A&M (1.851M)
  18. Tennessee (1.849M)
  19. Oklahoma State (1.64M)
  20. Mississippi (1.61M)

6 minutes ago, Southside said:

The B10 simply couldn't afford to do nothing after the TX/OK acquisition by the SEC. Too much TV money at stake.

ND would certainly help even things out, but just not sure ND can get past the bad blood/history. 

1. Ohio State (5.19M)
  2. Alabama (5.09M)
  3. Michigan (4.18M)
  4. Notre Dame (3.61M)
  5. LSU (3.22M)
  6. Auburn (3.12M)
  7. Georgia (2.91M)
  8. Oklahoma (2.90M)
  9. Clemson (2.67M)
  10. Penn State (2.55M)
  11. Florida (2.46M)
  12. Wisconsin (2.27M)
  13. Texas (2.269M)
  16. Southern Cal (1.98M)
  17. Texas A&M (1.851M)
  18. Tennessee (1.849M)
  20. Mississippi (1.61M)

It looks like ND & Okla St. are the next targets.  ND should be the primary target, IMO

Late to the party, but…

I love the move for the B1G. This is about CFB. People talking UNC, Duke, etc… are missing the picture. IU’s lucky to be in the B1G.  

With that said, it kind of sucks for ucla and usc. The Pac12 is in a distinct region (like the old B10), and it’s kind of a shame to see that go away.  

I’d put the over/under of major confs left when this all shakes out at 3. 2 of the Pac/B12/ACC are going the way of the Big east. And so is the NCAA for that matter. Good riddance to the latter. 

8 minutes ago, Southside said:

1. Ohio State (5.19M)
  2. Alabama (5.09M)
  3. Michigan (4.18M)
  4. Notre Dame (3.61M)
  5. LSU (3.22M)
  6. Auburn (3.12M)
  7. Georgia (2.91M)
  8. Oklahoma (2.90M)
  9. Clemson (2.67M)
  10. Penn State (2.55M)
  11. Florida (2.46M)
  12. Wisconsin (2.27M)
  13. Texas (2.269M)
  16. Southern Cal (1.98M)
  17. Texas A&M (1.851M)
  18. Tennessee (1.849M)
  20. Mississippi (1.61M)

Yup. B1G should be in an all out scramble for ND and whatever ACC school they think is most successful longterm. I’d guess FSU, but Clemson and Miami are there too

11 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

It looks like ND & Okla St. are the next targets.  ND should be the primary target, IMO

Looks like ND is pull, unlike UCLA and USC who were the instigators. Just not sure ND can forget about the bad blood/history. 

But yes, need the purple teams lol (ND, FSU, Clemson). 

In general, need the South and a team from TX. Both for market, and recruiting. 

Assuming we're going to end up with 20 (4 more) when all is said and done, I'd be really happy with ND, FSU (or Miami), OR, and Baylor. I honestly don't care too much about OR, but since we have USC and UCLA now, it helps with their travel schedule. 

I'd be happy with Clemson too, and there's a lot of buzz that Clemson would be better off in the B10 than SEC. They'd be a jewel for the B10, but kinda bland in the SEC. 

21 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Yup. B1G should be in an all out scramble for ND and whatever ACC school they think is most successful longterm. I’d guess FSU, but Clemson and Miami are there too

I'm guessing all of the teams (FSU, Miami, Clemson) would prefer the B10 over SEC. 

8 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

Yup. They screwed themselves.

They (ACC/PAC) also screwed themselves by not making any moves. Both conferences should have been talking to each other along with the B12 on how to carve up things and create a conf, or firm agreement, to compete with the B10 and SEC.

I think it's likely to still happen though, but they'll end up with less pickins now. 

Buzz about the B12 already making some moves, likely on the phone with the PAC. ACC better not stand still too long, and they need to be giving ND the reach around lol. 

We can abandon any pretence of concern for the student-athlete at this point. College athletes is, and probably has been for a long time, only about how much money the universities can make off of their athletic programs. Greed is a human weakness that cannot be killed. Doesn't matter who it hurts. Admittedly, I'm out of touch with today's world, but this doesn't feel right in any way.