Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

nerdvana

UCLA and USC Joining the Big Ten

I'd bet lots of money the B1G makes a play for 2 more to get to 18 now, and they come from Washington, Colorado, or  Oregon.

I find it hard to believe USC/UCLA make this move knowing their closest road game would be 1500 miles away in Lincoln, NE.  They likely already had reason to believe other Pac 12 schools would get an invite too.

27 minutes ago, IUFootballEndlessMisery said:

Priority-wise, the Big Ten should scale the conference in terms of competition when it comes to football, meaning Indiana is not obligated to play the big boys often unless we are able to hold our own; in effect, creating a Tier I (the super programs like Ohio State, Michigan State, Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, UCLA, USC, and for the hell of it, Iowa) and a Tier II (everyone else).  I get the issue with this idea is that if all you do is beat soup cans, then you don't get "real" experience, but if you're a crap program like IU, how are you going to get better and convince people to come play for you if you keep going 4-8 or 3-9 unless divine intervention happens and the world goes to ****?

This unfortunately means that we would only see USC coming to the Rock once in a blue moon, but I think this may be the better solution.

... did I make sense?

It’s all about the TV $$$$$$$$$$.

The network will tell the league they want a prime time-slot to televise an IU-UCLA basketball game the very first year.  Those same network “influencers” won’t give a crap if we ever play USC in football but you can bet they can’t wait for OSU to go out west for games or for USC, as an example, to travel to PSU for a nationally televised nighttime white-out game.

Not that is wasn’t already obvious but you could tell TV drove the bus by how often we played Duke and UNC in the Challenge even though we had mediocre teams some of those years, It’s all about tv eyeballs.

18 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

I'd bet lots of money the B1G makes a play for 2 more to get to 18 now, and they come from Washington, Colorado, or  Oregon.

I find it hard to believe USC/UCLA make this move knowing their closest road game would be 1500 miles away in Lincoln, NE.  They likely already had reason to believe other Pac 12 schools would get an invite too.

Is Stanford also a possibility with the SF tv market?

How about all-time Dumb Guy Kevin Warren standing strong with the PAC12 against the disgusting beast that is the SEC then breaking the third wall, winking at the camera, and shoving a dagger right into the heart of his alliance partner less than a year later to establish itself for whatever off the wall stuff happens with college athletics going forward. 

Kick ass move, Kevin Warren. Respect. 

So, what about the Big Ten suits USC?

A few factors USC AD Mike Bohn noted to me: “intensity of interest in their base”, "elite academics", “a longstanding tradition in investing in intercollegiate athletics”, and “strong values that match ours”.

I love how an AD can say this with a straight face when everyone who wasn’t born yesterday knows its BS and the main reason is
$$$$

(The top15 reasons for them moving to the big 10)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

Let’s just grab Arizona while we’re out there

I live in AZ so I approve this message. I don't know if ASU has the credentials the B1G is looking for, but I wouldn't mind them joining too. 

37 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

I live in AZ so I approve this message. I don't know if ASU has the credentials the B1G is looking for, but I wouldn't mind them joining too. 

The BT pretends to care about academics and prefers schools to be AAU accredited. If they stick to that, and no doubt cash$ could change their mind, the remaining AAU Pac 12 schools are Arizona, Oregon. Washington, Utah. UC Berkeley, Colorado and Stanford. At present, and including USC/UCLA,  Nebraska is the only non-AAU school in the conference so I guess we really needed that Lincoln/Omaha tv market.

On a side note the ACC AAU schools are Ga Tech, UNC, UVA, Duke and Pitt.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2022-06-30/usc-ucla-are-negotiating-to-leave-the-pac-12-for-the-big-ten
"The schools are aiming to leave as early as 2024 and the migration is expected to include all sports except beach volleyball"
Not a fan, but the almighty dollar wins

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

On another not, Kansas and Notre Dame would have been better

if you can't beat em join em, right?  We will welcome them too.  

Id be interested in adding two more from the Pac-12, give me two of Stanford, Arizona, Colorado and Oregon then the rest can join the Big12.  

30 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

if you can't beat em join em, right?  We will welcome them too.  

Id be interested in adding two more from the Pac-12, give me two of Stanford, Arizona, Colorado and Oregon then the rest can join the Big12.  

Washington will be in the mix because of the Seattle-Tacoma market.  This is mostly about that anyway so you have to factor that in.

9 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

How about all-time Dumb Guy Kevin Warren standing strong with the PAC12 against the disgusting beast that is the SEC then breaking the third wall, winking at the camera, and shoving a dagger right into the heart of his alliance partner less than a year later to establish itself for whatever off the wall stuff happens with college athletics going forward. 

Kick @$$ move, Kevin Warren. Respect. 

Pretty sure I read that Kevin Warren was completely blindsided by this, as were the B1G chancellors. 

That numbskull just fell @$$-backwards into 2 of the most prestigious college athletics programs in the country. 

On another not, Kansas and Notre Dame would have been better

ND is somewhat realistic, but Kansas would have never gotten an offer. Yes, their basketball program is worth a ton of money, but still nothing compared to an decent football program. B10 is only interested in expanding media markets and that sweet sweet football $$$.

ND & Kansas media markets combined probably doesn't even have half the value of capturing Southern CA.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

59 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

Pretty sure I read that Kevin Warren was completely blindsided by this, as were the B1G chancellors. 

That numbskull just fell @$$-backwards into 2 of the most prestigious college athletics programs in the country. 

He was in London when news broke yesterday, but he had been working with ADs/chancellors on this as far back as 6-8 weeks and really ramped up 2 weeks ago according to the article I’m posting a snippet of below. This was definitely a calculated move. From The Athletic:

Warren spoke with presidents, chancellors and athletic directors multiple times this week to discuss the possibility of adding UCLA and USC. Videoconferencing in from London, where he was meeting with potential conference sponsors and partners, Warren told his constituents that the Bruins and the Trojans had approached him about joining the league. He shared slides with the league membership that showed how these additions would help the Big Ten financially; a subset of Big Ten members had already vetted these potential expansion targets.

Representatives from Maryland and Rutgers, the Big Ten’s most recent additions from the 2014 realignment, had the most questions for Warren, given all of the financial hoops they had to jump through upon joining the conference. Warren, a league source said, eased the schools’ concerns and got everyone on the same page.

Travel was one of the biggest concerns — there are nearly 2,800 miles between the campuses of Rutgers and UCLA, for example — though most schools eventually came to the conclusion that travel would be a bigger question for USC and UCLA than for current members. (A message sent by Iowa athletic director Gary Barta to his staff on Thursday night echoed as much: “The process to integrate these two institutions to the Big Ten is just beginning. This includes, but is not limited to, scheduling, travel, and missed class time.”)

Warren’s call with ADs on Wednesday night served as a “speak now or forever hold your peace” moment. Everyone present agreed that adding USC and UCLA would benefit the Big Ten.

1 hour ago, AKHoosier said:

I'm not up to speed on the inner workings of the conference, but are you suggesting that the B1G added two programs without the Commissioner's knowledge?  I'm just trying to understand how that would even be possible (e.g. who then negotiated with USC and UCLA)...rogue athletic directors?).  

9 hours ago, go iu bb said:

The Phoenix tv market is 11th in the nation, just ahead of Seattle-Tacoma... could see Arizona and ASU joining, as well.

But at 16 teams, is the B1G done? How many teams are enough? Too many? 

At some point they have to stop adding members, else the entire nation becomes one big conference and I don't see how that benefits anyone.

9 hours ago, iubb said:

I love how an AD can say this with a straight face when everyone who wasn’t born yesterday knows its BS and the main reason is
$$$$

(The top15 reasons for them moving to the big 10)

Indeed. The PAC-12 network is a joke. It's ALWAYS about the money.

"USC and UCLA stand to significantly increase their revenues. The Pac-12 distributed only $19.8 million per school in fiscal year 2021, by far the least among Power 5 conferences. The Big Ten's per-school distribution was $46.1 million, second only to the SEC's $54.6 million."

The Pac-12 has had difficulty getting its conference television network untracked while the Big Ten Network is the most established of the conference networks."

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/30/1109233101/the-big-ten-approves-adding-2-iconic-california-brands-ucla-and-usc?sc=18&f=1001