Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

nerdvana

UCLA and USC Joining the Big Ten

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Basketball teams fly out the the Cali area for a week to play both USC and UCLA in the same trip.  It involves cross country flights, multiple time zone changes etc but don’t forget……it’s all about the student athletes. Nothing matters more than the students.

On the other hand….and what really matters $$$$$. TV is going to love OSU/UM/PSU vs USC/UCLA football matchups, IU vs UCLA in hoops etc etc. Might even be attractive to recruits.  We will see but in any case the Texas/OU move really accelerated the inevitable.

A November trip from LA to Happy Valley should be fun for USC and/or UCLA…LOLThat being said a white-out for USC’s first BT visit to PSU will be crazy and get a ton of tv eyeballs (not to mention other matchups).

I’m sure the league will also schedule IU vs UCLA, in men’s basketball,  the first year they join the conference.

Let's face one fact: barring an absolute miracle, the IU football team will never get a whiff of a Bxx title.  It was already a Longshot, but adding two (or more) historically good programs pretty much puts a fork in that fantasy.

The intriguing pride of the Midwest vs the west coast vs the east coast vs the south vs independents for all the bragging rights.  No mention of STUDENT ATHLETES.  On the road again like overland highway truck drivers.  Virtual classes on the road and then they can hand out virtual degrees.  This to go along with NIL.  Student athletes.  NO.  And geographical pride is in the review mirror.  Maybe, the whole country can just be one athletic league and then start all over again breaking out into geographical leagues as before like in the early 1900s.  The circle of life 

Flight Cancellations, the power grid, lack of workers, fuel costs and shortages and all that pollution doesn’t sound very green, and the weather.  (though major college programs fly on their own baby Air Force One planes).

1 hour ago, TTT said:

The intriguing pride of the Midwest vs the west coast vs the east coast vs the south vs independents for all the bragging rights.  No mention of STUDENT ATHLETES.  On the road again like overland highway truck drivers.  Virtual classes on the road and then they can hand out virtual degrees.  This to go along with NIL.  Student athletes.  NO.  And geographical pride is in the review mirror.  Maybe, the whole country can just be one athletic league and then start all over again breaking out into geographical leagues as before like in the early 1900s.  The circle of life 

I mean... NIL. So 

Just Bonkers. 

2 high quality athletic programs without question.  Exciting matchups, without question.

But losing the entire identity of the conference is a major bummer. So, strong dislike. 

BTN money is too big for them to pass on.  Expanding into that market equals huge bucks. 

whatever, I guess!  I find myself thinking this a lot these days.  Our world is upside down, so sports might as well follow suit.  

Honestly as I’ve had time to digest it I’m fine with it.  The SEC set the tone for expansion and you can either dig in with what you have and fall behind or try to play catch up.

one thing I won’t enjoy is that you’ll likely see LA join into the BTT rotation.  Just spitballing, but I could see a nine year type of rotation like Indy-Chicago-New York-Indy-Chicago-DC-Indy-Chicago-LA.

Or maybe just eliminate DC and make it a six year rotation.

I would suspect a good chunk of the Big 12 and PAC 12 teams remaining will form a conference and suspect they might be able to get Houston in there as well.  The one wild card is Oregon….not sure where they end up but somehow would not be surprised to see them try to get in the SEC.