Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2024) - SG Jaeden Mustaf to Georgia Tech

11/22/22 Concord Academy at Carmel Christian, the state’s top game matches the reigning N.C. private schools 3A champions (6-0 Concord Academy) with the reigning 4A champions from Carmel (4-0).

The game of the night in North Carolina lived up to the billing Tuesday. Carmel Christian, No. 2 in The Observer’s Sweet 16, led by 13 points in the second half but had to hold off a furious rally from Concord Academy before winning 59-52. Carmel (5-0) was outscored 34-28 in the second half, but held on for the win behind 14 points each from Jaeden Mustaf and Bryce Cash plus 11 from Boston Smith. The Cougars only made three field goals in the fourth quarter, including two from Smith, but they made 9-of-15 free throws. Michael Marcus and Khamani Wertz each made 3-of-4.

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

11/22/22 Concord Academy at Carmel Christian, the state’s top game matches the reigning N.C. private schools 3A champions (6-0 Concord Academy) with the reigning 4A champions from Carmel (4-0).

The game of the night in North Carolina lived up to the billing Tuesday. Carmel Christian, No. 2 in The Observer’s Sweet 16, led by 13 points in the second half but had to hold off a furious rally from Concord Academy before winning 59-52. Carmel (5-0) was outscored 34-28 in the second half, but held on for the win behind 14 points each from Jaeden Mustaf and Bryce Cash plus 11 from Boston Smith. The Cougars only made three field goals in the fourth quarter, including two from Smith, but they made 9-of-15 free throws. Michael Marcus and Khamani Wertz each made 3-of-4.

Watched it last night. 1st game of Mustaf’s I’ve seen. Good player. Most of his appeal is obvious. Good size. Great frame. Looks to have plus length. Plus athlete, though probably not an elite one. Played hard on both ends and really competed. His defense stood out more than his offense. He’s a very good defender. Keeps his weight down and can really move laterally. He was disciplined with his hands and didn’t commit any cheap fouls. Showed excellent awareness and hustle. Carmel lost a shooter in the corner, but Mustaf saw it and came from 2 passes away to contest it That was cool. Best rebounder on their team. Mustaf’s got 1 issue with his offense, and it’s not nothin’: he’s got good lift on his shot, but he negates it with a release that’s low and out front. As a result, he can’t get off a contested jumper. He’s got to be open. Nothing wrong with it in the air, he made a 3 that looked good. But he’s not making jumpers against good defense. Otherwise, there’s a lot to like there. Good handle. Good passer with either hand. Came off screens looking for cutters. Goes to the rim with complete abandon and plays through contact, no problem. A lot to like. Looking forward to watching him more. It’ll be fun watching Mustaf and Passmore develop and see which one the staff really prioritizes. 

1 hour ago, Demo said:

Mustaf’s got 1 issue with his offense, and it’s not nothin’: he’s got good lift on his shot, but he negates it with a release that’s low and out front. As a result, he can’t get off a contested jumper. He’s got to be open.

Well, if the staff can improve Gallo's mechanics, they can probably do likewise with Mustaf.

Carmel Christian with a 76-69 double overtime win over Calvary Christian.  Mustaf 19p; 9r; 2s

This morning's Charlotte Observer reports he finished with 23p; 10r; 6a.

This from Travis Branham:  

Jaeden Mustaf was already an impressive 2024 prospect but he was even more impressive on Friday night against Calvary Christian. The combo guard out of Matthews (N.C.) Carmel Christian School is pushing 6-foot-5 and he knows how to use his big body and skill to impact the game.

Mustaf was highly effective attacking off the bounce in this matchup but he also showed the ability to make shots from deep.

He was at his best getting in the paint where he got to the rim and created for others, generating six-assists but he also knocked down 2-of-5 from three.

Mustaf is a certified high major talent with his size and ability to impact the game as a faciltator, playmaker, rebounder for the position and scorer.

He finished with 23-points, ten-rebounds and six-assists.

Edited by Class of '66 Old Fart
Updated Charlotte Observer and Branham's story.

Carmel Christian 79-63 win over Cannon School.  Jaeden 25p.  I watched this game and had him with 9r; 4a; 1b; 1t.   11-21 FG; 1-4 on 3s; 2-4 FT.  My annual disclaimer that my scorecard is officially unofficial.

First time I've seen him play and I thought he played really tough defense.  Always knew where his man was and fought through screens.  Quick first step and most of his shots are taken off a dribble drive.  I'm no way an authority but it looks to me like his jump shot mechanics need work especially when attempting a 3.  In the 2nd Q, I thought there was a stretch where he tried to do too much as there were 3 or 4 possessions where the ball never left his hands and he didn't score on any of those.  But that was the only time in the game that was noticeable.

24 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Carmel Christian 79-63 win over Cannon School.  Jaeden 25p.  I watched this game and had him with 9r; 4a; 1b; 1t.   11-21 FG; 1-4 on 3s; 2-4 FT.  My annual disclaimer that my scorecard is officially unofficial.

First time I've seen him play and I thought he played really tough defense.  Always knew where his man was and fought through screens.  Quick first step and most of his shots are taken off a dribble drive.  I'm no way an authority but it looks to me like his jump shot mechanics need work especially when attempting a 3.  In the 2nd Q, I thought there was a stretch where he tried to do too much as there were 3 or 4 possessions where the ball never left his hands and he didn't score on any of those.  But that was the only time in the game that was noticeable.

Yeah, he had about 2 mins when he really went on tilt. That was odd and unlike the control he usually plays with. Coaching fail not addressing it. Saw the same thing with Gabe Cupps last year and his dad pulled him immediately for about a minute to let him just breathe. 

No. 1 Carmel Christian got behind early against N.C. 3A public school power Northwood and could never recover, falling 71-64 at the Phenom Hoops Tourney Town event at Greensboro’s Smith High School.  Mustaf 13p and 3r in the loss.

Rarely ever see full game stats for him but for 12 games he's averaging 16 ppg.  A 6-game average for rebounds and assists is 7 and 4 respectively.

Indiana: “They are very involved. They make sure I know they want me to be a part of their program. They reach out a lot, almost every day, talking about coming up there.”

https://www.on3.com/news/jaeden-mustaf-breaks-down-visits-updates-recruitment-nc-state-indiana-maryland-miami-florida-state-georgetown/