Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2024) - PG Boogie Fland to Kentucky

31 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

now this would be HUGE.  An immediate opening at PG once X is gone.

Immediate opening? Most expect Cupps to be a 3 year starter at PG once X is gone. With that said, his skillset would allow him to play a combo guard so even if we bring a top 3 PG who starts, Cupps would still see a lot of PT. 

3 minutes ago, ISP said:

Immediate opening? Most expect Cupps to be a 3 year starter at PG once X is gone. With that said, his skillset would allow him to play a combo guard so even if we bring a top 3 PG who starts, Cupps would still see a lot of PT. 

let's see Cupps throughout the year.  If Cupps can play as a combo guard then Fland and Cupps together would be a very solid duo.  

20 hours ago, ISP said:

Immediate opening? Most expect Cupps to be a 3 year starter at PG once X is gone.

Cupps may be good enough to start in his second year at IU. We'll have to wait and see how he plays this season.  Boogie Fland almost certainly would start ahead of Cupps. Cupps seems to be at the same level as Rob Phinisee was. There is a lot to like but there may be better players at his position.

2 hours ago, cthomas said:

Obviously it's impossible to say at this point, but I expect Cupps to be better than RP at just about everything, and I liked Rob a lot. Every time I have seen Cupps play he has played with much more pace and moves the ball very quickly. Phinisee seemed to be trying to decide what to do next quite a bit. I don't see any of that with Cupps. Of course, everything I just said remains to be seen.

Agree. Rob is not a good comp at all.

1 hour ago, J34 said:

Rob is not a good comp at all.

Now that he didn't fulfill expectations, he is not particularly well thought of. But at the time, comments about Rob Phinisee's future as IU's starting point guard were similar to the comments about Cupps today. And, of course, after he hit the winning buzzer beater against Butler early in his freshman season, expectations for Phinisee rose even higher. In any event, the central point being made was that Cupps would be a backup to Boogie Fland or any other 5-star point guard who Woodson might recruit for 2024.

Now that he didn't fulfill expectations, he is not particularly well thought of. But at the time, comments about Rob Phinisee's future as IU's starting point guard were similar to the comments about Cupps today. And, of course, after he hit the winning buzzer beater against Butler early in his freshman season, expectations for Phinisee rose even higher. In any event, the central point being made was that Cupps would be a backup to Boogie Fland or any other 5-star point guard who Woodson might recruit for 2024.

Not from this guy. I thought Rob would be better than he was but was never high on him. I remember watching 1 game from James Akinjo and hoping we’d get him. I mean, he wasn’t stellar either but I wasn’t sold on Rob.

Cupps is a wait and see from me. Is he athletic/strong enough, is he an elite enough shooter, where will his defense stack up. Maybe with the talent around him he’ll be at his best just being a good facilitator. I like that he doesn’t need to hunt points and wants to win. I hope he wows. The times I’ve watched him he doesn’t supremely impress which justify/solidify his HS ranking. He’s definitively an interesting recruit.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

7 hours ago, Honkyman said:

There was one or two loud posters who thankfully don't post anymore screaming about how much we'd love Phinisee.  It was the usual rhetoric, he's a home state kid, that means he's so much better than his ranking, so much better than kids from other zip codes, etc.  He "gets it" and kids from other states don't...I'm glad that's over.

Come to IU Boogie

On 6/3/2023 at 5:50 AM, Honkyman said:

Cupps may be good enough to start in his second year at IU. We'll have to wait and see how he plays this season.  Boogie Fland almost certainly would start ahead of Cupps. Cupps seems to be at the same level as Rob Phinisee was. There is a lot to like but there may be better players at his position.

I'm a HUGE Cupps fan. I think he's going to get around 15 minutes a game this year. I love that he is already getting up early to go to Cook Hall at 5:30. IU hasn't had that in awhile. That being said..if you can get a legit player like Fland you do it and figure out the rest later. I trust the staff. 

10 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

He was due for 1 of those. Couldn’t throw it in the ocean during EYBL 4 and he’s way too good for that to last.