Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IU Basketball News and Notes

Indiana Senior Assistant Athletic Director for Team Purchasing and Licensing Marty Clark was recently honored with the Lifetime Achievement Award by the Athletic Equipment Managers Association (AEMA) at its annual convention in Las Vegas.

https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2022/6/14/general-clark-presented-with-aemas-lifetime-achievement-award-at-annual-convention.aspx?fbclid=IwAR1Quaot6a1k-AXSIRIFsB9UEOlEhkthpwM7rbhdn4k-E-XvPwKugnD_SE0

1. TJD needs to grow his hair back out.

2. Geronimo is a physical beast!

3. JHS looks tough. This Freshman class is NICE!

4. This team will have the widespread athleticism, Tom Crean aimed for and tried to get.  I don’t know what Arch was looking for.  Never could figure him out   I think he just wanted the best kids from Indiana regardless of everything else.  

4 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

4. This team will have the widespread athleticism, Tom Crean aimed for and tried to get.  I don’t know what Arch was looking for.  Never could figure him out   I think he just wanted the best kids from Indiana regardless of everything else.  

This freshman class just seems different. I think Gunn could be really good. He knows how to score. The level of competition I think will rise in practice.

12 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

This freshman class just seems different. I think Gunn could be really good. He knows how to score. The level of competition I think will rise in practice.

Race's comments about Banks has me excited too. IF what he said is true, he's going to see a lot more playing time than anyone thinks. 

4 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

This freshman class just knows how to win...Jalen and Malik won a national championship. CJ played at Lawrence North. They were very close to winning it all. Pretty sure Kaleb's high school made the finals multiple times. Add that in with the '23 guys...Cupps team won state. I think Jakai's made it pretty far. I know it's high school but I love guys who have a winning DNA...I think it played a role with Hulls, Zeller, and Yogi. All won state.  

I know we go through the optimism phase every off season and then crash back to earth once the season begins. But this feels different. This feels like CMW is building a monster and by the time college basketball realizes it, it will be too late.

Pretty much every thing that happened this off-season was a net positive. That happens so rarely. Last years team was decent and close to being good. This years team is a similar, yet better version of last years team. Every reason to be confident.

The only bad thing Is NIL allowed about 10-15 other programs to feel this way too.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

12 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I don’t know what Arch was looking for.  Never could figure him out   I think he just wanted the best kids from Indiana regardless of everything else.  

Archie was reacting to what the IU fan base criticized Crean for--losing out on some of the best Indiana players. Archie pledged at his first press event that he would recruit "inside out" meaning make sure IU gets the top in-state players and he was widely praised at the time for saying it. He successfully recruited three straight Indiana Mr. Basketballs, two of whom are still playing for IU plus Trey Galloway who has been an impactful player. Archie targeted several top out-of-state players but struck out with most, e.g., Darius Garland, Dawson Garcia. But there are a couple of really good out-of-state Archie recruits still on the team--Race Thompson, Jordan Geronimo. One of Archie's problems in recruiting is he didn't have much to sell because IU was underperforming on the basketball court. That ended up hurting him even with some top in-state players, e.g., Trey Kaufman. 

9 hours ago, cthomas said:

I know we go through the optimism phase every off season and then crash back to earth once the season begins. But this feels different. This feels like CMW is building a monster and by the time college basketball realizes it, it will be too late.

"Just win, baby" is where I'm at.  Tired of not seeing the off season hype pay off.  I do feel optimistic but cautiously so.

1 hour ago, Honkyman said:

Archie was reacting to what the IU fan base criticized Crean for--losing out on some of the best Indiana players. Archie pledged at his first press event that he would recruit "inside out" meaning make sure IU gets the top in-state players and he was widely praised at the time for saying it. He successfully recruited three straight Indiana Mr. Basketballs, two of whom are still playing for IU plus Trey Galloway who has been an impactful player. Archie targeted several top out-of-state players but struck out with most, e.g., Darius Garland, Dawson Garcia. But there are a couple of really good out-of-state Archie recruits still on the team--Race Thompson, Jordan Geronimo. One of Archie's problems in recruiting is he didn't have much to sell because IU was underperforming on the basketball court. That ended up hurting him even with some top in-state players, e.g., Trey Kaufman. 

I believe you are spot on about CAM's recruiting focus.  Race is really the only OOS player that's been a significant contributor (Geronimo has great potential but needs to deliver).  I've come to think J Hunter was a bust -  since being healthy and playing for 3 years he's shown very little here or his current school.  I realize recruiting isn't an exact science but it's probably the most important part of being a college HC.  It does seem Woodson has a much different (better?) approach.

9 hours ago, cthomas said:

Agree, and similarly we often seem to think we're 'deep' only to find, not really, but we definitely are deeper across the floor. Galloway's injury hurts that, and I hope he recovers well and is back in action by December or so, and the wing / outside shooting is still kind of a question mark at this point, but there's good depth with experienced vets, rising sophs-juniors, and excellent incoming players with college ready bodies and athleticism. I'm stoked

10 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Pretty much every thing that happened this off-season was a net positive. That happens so rarely. Last years team was decent and close to being good. This years team is a similar, yet better version of last years team. Every reason to be confident.

The only bad thing Is NIL allowed about 10-15 other programs to feel this way too.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I agree. Remember when twitter folks lost their minds on Fife/Lander leaving on the same day? Two really good off-seasons in a row. 

2 hours ago, Honkyman said:

Agree. Don't want to dwell on the past too much but I also think the Indiana High School classes weren't as deep as the ones Crean missed out on. Yes, you want in-state talent. But, some years it just isn't as good. There is always going to be a really good player or two (Romeo, Trayce). I like a mix of both. 

1 hour ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Agree, and similarly we often seem to think we're 'deep' only to find, not really, but we definitely are deeper across the floor. Galloway's injury hurts that, and I hope he recovers well and is back in action by December or so, and the wing / outside shooting is still kind of a question mark at this point, but there's good depth with experienced vets, rising sophs-juniors, and excellent incoming players with college ready bodies and athleticism. I'm stoked

Trey's injury hurts because obviously that is less time this summer to develop his game. He really needs to improve his three point shooting. 

1 minute ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Trey's injury hurts because obviously that is less time this summer to develop his game. He really needs to improve his three point shooting. 

I'm pretty sure I read where he will be able to resume shooting drills in 2-3 weeks