Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IU Basketball News and Notes

1 hour ago, Josh said:

Agreed.  Also, Don Schulndt is the best player to ever wear an IU basketball uniform.

I don't know if he was the best, but he was damn good. I have a very foggy memory of him and those teams. But I do remember him and the Terry Dischinger Purdue teams. For all that Bob Knjght did for IU, and it was a lot, Branch McCracken laid the foundation and put IU on the map. I loved watching those teams.

3 hours ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

when?

It's Branch McCracken Court and should be labeled as such.

It is labeled that way on a plaque on the wall.  Maybe we should paint it on the court instead, but I guarantee there will be people crazy upset about change there as well.

Regarding the Simon Skjodt print, I really don't care.  If you give $40 million to IU I'd support painting HoosierHoops1 across the backboard

11 hours ago, cthomas said:

I don't know if he was the best, but he was damn good. I have a very foggy memory of him and those teams. But I do remember him and the Terry Dischinger Purdue teams. For all that Bob Knjght did for IU, and it was a lot, Branch McCracken laid the foundation and put IU on the map. I loved watching those teams.

Sure he "put IU on the map." But the court is within Assembly Hall. It was named after McCracken obviously before Knight made his legacy. But Knight made AH into what it became. Playing on that court became one of the greatest venues in sports because of Knight. That's why I support a name change. McCracken can be honored elsewhere.

On 8/12/2022 at 11:42 PM, 8bucks said:

We are kind of at that stage where on court performances will dictate the momentum of our recruiting. Arch had an ok start but could not prove it on the court. wheels fell off quickly 

Crean had an ok start, might have been a really good start had Mo not gotten hurt.  Got recruits, had success, got the movement, could not maintain success.  Wheels fell off 

woody has had a very good start but thus year we have to take a leap AND we need hopefully for some of the young guys to be the clear next wave of success. But we have to start showing what kind of program we are. 

I think about that injury all the time.

5 hours ago, Josh said:

There is no good reason to take Branch McCracken's name off the court.  That's just disrespectful.  Bob Knight has even said so himself.

We could name the Arena Simon Skjodt Bob Knight Arena I guess, but McCracken Court must stay

I wouldn't consider it disrespectful at all. Just a change that needs to happen. Branch can be honored elsewhere. He's just not the icon that knight is or and Branch had no impact on what happened on the court inside AH. It's a change that I think would have already happened if it wasn't for the falling out that took place. Now they'll just wait until Knight dies to do anything. 

24 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I wouldn't consider it disrespectful at all. Just a change that needs to happen. Branch can be honored elsewhere. He's just not the icon that knight is or and Branch had no impact on what happened on the court inside AH. It's a change that I think would have already happened if it wasn't for the falling out that took place. Now they'll just wait until Knight dies to do anything. 

Let's say you become such a legendary poster that we named this site after you.  Then a few years later we decide Loaded Chicken Sandwich is old, who cares about him?  Let's name the site after OliviaPope40 instead.  

That's just rude.

22 minutes ago, Josh said:

Let's say you become such a legendary poster that we named this site after you.  Then a few years later we decide Loaded Chicken Sandwich is old, who cares about him?  Let's name the site after OliviaPope40 instead.  

That's just rude.

While I agree with you, that’s a weird-@$$ example.     :)

2 hours ago, Josh said:

That's just rude.

Well... If I came along and got everyone here together on a completely different website that last a couple decades and it was pretty good. Set a foundation for some stuff. Then came along another poster who built a brand new and beautiful site... Named the forum section after me to begin with and then decades later the site is booming on a national stage, everyone knows about it... Then someone else buys the site and renames that site after the person who built it... How would that be rude?

3 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Branch McCracken did things that got us assembly hall.  That’s why the court is named after him.  

If we ever replace the building then Knight can have a chance 

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Branch McCracken did things that got us assembly hall.  That’s why the court is named after him.  

If we ever replace the building then Knight can have a chance 

Maybe Branch McCracken did a lot for the possibility of having AH; however, Knight was the one who coached the team when it opened until he was fired.  He brought us  3 National Championships, it should be named Knight Court!  

30 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Maybe Branch McCracken did a lot for the possibility of having AH; however, Knight was the one who coached the team when it opened until he was fired.  He brought us  3 National Championships, it should be named Knight Court!  

And you think they built it overnight when they hired knight?  

10 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

And you think they built it overnight when they hired knight?  

No, that’s not what I am saying.  But he coached at AH from the time it opened until he was fired, so yes I think it could be just as appropriate for his name to be on the court.  It could be because of him, the renovations happened, just like your argument about McCraken was why they built AH in the first place.  So why not?

In what world is giving something and then taking it back not disrespectful? In this case, a tremendous honor for both the previous coach and the university.

Keep the building Simon Skodjt Assembly Hall (or whatever the official name is). Keep the court as Branch McCracken Court. Name something else after Coach Knight.

We’ve removed the name “Jordan” from several different buildings and such to show the university no longer respects him. Why would we do the same to a coach who brought the university so much.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

6 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Keep the building Simon Skodjt Assembly Hall

Simon Skodjt was added to the name Assembly Hall not to honor the Simon Skodjt family but because the family paid for the renovation. It was a financial transaction--money in exchange for name.