Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IU Basketball News and Notes

15 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

Because it's already Branch McCracken Court. 

That can be changed and should be changed. Let's be honest here, McCracken had nothing to do with Assembly Hall. AH became what it is known to be thanks to Knight. From Day 1. 

42 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

It was Branch McCracken Court before Knight won a single championship. McCracken won 40% of IU's championships. It's not as though IU was nothing and had no history before Knight. Just because McCracken was long ago doesn't mean he should be forgotten. 

My point is that McCracken never won a single game in AH. AH and Knight go hand in hand. That court and Knight go hand in hand. The legacies are 100% tied together. From Day 1 for each. 

18 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

My point is that McCracken never won a single game in AH. AH and Knight go hand in hand. That court and Knight go hand in hand. The legacies are 100% tied together. From Day 1 for each. 

My point is that Knight did that on Branch McCracken Court. Knight and Branch McCracken Court go hand in hand. The legacies are tired together. I'm not sure if it was officially named Branch McCracken Court from day 1 but, if not, it was soon after.

I also don't think Knight himself would want to take that honor away from McCracken. 

We'll just have to agree to disagree. 

29 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Absent some recently discovered scandal, we should never remove the name of the court from a coach that brought IU two national titles.

Assembly Hall was built in part because the program that Branch created. 

Other things can be named after Bob. 

Let's never forget that IU basketball has a rich tradition beyond Bob. That doesn't take away from how fantastic of a coach he was. It just pays proper respect to the program as a whole. 

Without what Branch created over the decades, IU isn't the premier job that attracts Bob. 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Find something else to name after him. For instance:

”The Bob Knight Courtside Chairs at Assembly Hall”

”The Lee Corso Press Box at Memorial Stadium”

”The Tommy Crean Diet Coke and Concession Stand”

“The Archie Miller Toilets”

”The Devin Davis Traffic Circle”

”The Xavier Johnson Express Lanes”

The toilets are offended by this name

2 hours ago, LockdownD said:

I’m disappointed that Branch McCracken court won’t display the name of this Hoosier legend. Other blue blood programs like to showcase their rich tradition and pay respect to coaches who helped elevate the school’s program to national prominence. If Kentucky would play us, we’d go to Rupp and we will be traveling to play Kansas in December. They named their field house after a man that was very successful and is credited with building the winning tradition that the Jayhawks expect.  Branch’s 1940 NCAA championship was against Phog Allen’s Kansas team. He was 31 and the youngest coach to win a national championship. Branch’s 1953 NCAA championship team beat Phog’s Kansas team. Branch McCracken is a name every Hoosier fan should know.

Agreed.  Also, Don Schulndt is the best player to ever wear an IU basketball uniform.

8 hours ago, Josh said:

Prepare for the pearl clutchers to become aghast 

As they should. It's not like anything good happened. It just has the wrong name on the court. Simon-Skjodt is already on the front of the building.

11 minutes ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

As they should. It's not like anything good happened. It just has the wrong name on the court. Simon-Skjodt is already on the front of the building.

Actually, 40 million good things happened.