Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IU Basketball News and Notes

12 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Kopp is absolutely a shooter just not a maker. If he repeats last season (minutes, shot selection and %, and his “defense”) the team won’t be reaching all their goals.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Unfortunately he’s about the closest thing we have to a maker. If the returning players only Johnson shoots better from 3, and most of his 3s seemed to be on wide open attempts. 

33 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Kopp is absolutely a shooter just not a maker. If he repeats last season (minutes, shot selection and %, and his “defense”) the team won’t be reaching all their goals.

On one hand, I have been for and still prefer that we start Bates or Geronimo at the three.

On the other hand, Kopp was a decent wing defender and shot 36.1% from three while playing a good part of the year on an injured foot. That's not a home run by any means, but it's still a % that equates to a positive points per possession. And unlike our other 'shooter' from last year (Stewart), Kopp's numbers didn't tank as the competition got tougher or at the end of games.

I think he's a really good choice for 15-18 minutes as a veteran bench presence.

22 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Kopp is the best weak side defender and communicator on the team. There's a reason he played as much as he did last season.

I'm hopeful that Woody will sub according to who gets the job done, irrelevant of age/experience. And it has to be a game to game thing. Nobody is "on" every game. So if Kopp is cold, and Bates is hot, play Bates til he drops.

Woody said on the podcast that JHS is "streaky" with his shooting. So that could mean early sub for him at the 1-2 if he's cold.

Someone brought up our performance against PUke with TJD on the bench, and playing more guard oriented. I agree with this IF the match-ups call for it. (I'm NOT saying bench TJD, but if Malik can produce when TJD is having an off nite, he should get the minutes)

Assuming we have the depth we keep hearing about, being flexible is what it's all about IMO.

33 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Good article, and it's the defensive side of the ball and defensive schemes that are going to determine how much he plays -- I like that one of the comments was significant minutes. We'll see, but he's going to be a good one regardless.

4 hours ago, HoosierX said:

Kopp is the best weak side defender and communicator on the team. There's a reason he played as much as he did last season.

Problem is we weren’t very good in the big Ten last year. If we expect to reach that next level we need somebody to surpass what he gave us last year.  

26 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Problem is we weren’t very good in the big Ten last year. If we expect to reach that next level we need somebody to surpass what he gave us last year.  

Agreed. Now if HE is the one that can provide more- better shooting primarily - then great. But IU needs to take a couple big steps forward to meet the expectations building for this team. 

10 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Wimp and a chicken

Well, hopefully Indiana can pull some rabbits out of the hat and find a roster to beat him next year assuming that’s the deal.  Maybe motivation will breed success. Kentucky will likely have 3 top 10 recruits and top dibs on transfers.  It will always be an uphill battle for Indiana while Cal is there and likely beyond. 

6 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Well, hopefully Indiana can pull some rabbits out of the hat and find a roster to beat him next year assuming that’s the deal.  Maybe motivation will breed success. Kentucky will likely have 3 top 10 recruits and top dibs on transfers.  It will always be an uphill battle for Indiana while Cal is there and likely beyond. 

Fully agree until the last sentence! The only real challenge I see going forward is getting the little chicken to play IU when we’re good. He wants to control the scheduling so it favors him/UK. Pathetic really

4 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Fully agree until the last sentence! The only real challenge I see going forward is getting the little chicken to play IU when we’re good. He wants to control the scheduling so it favors him/UK. Pathetic really

Calipari would have pounded every team we had under Archie (save the Covid year team)  Archie wasn’t interested in trying to test Indiana vs the best. He knew. I love Woodson trying to make Indiana top shelf. Just hope he can get the talent to keep it competive.  We’ve watched IU/Duke enough in the challenge to see what happens when top talent faces Indiana.  As much as everyone disagrees, we have a lot of work to be a top team next year. Not exactly sure what the plan is, but if he is scheduling Kentucky he must feel good about it. Also, it’s a giant money grab game, one of the biggest. 

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

We beat Cal 2 out of the last 3 meetings