Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IU Basketball News and Notes

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

I get the impression that CJ is pretty raw, but that he’s talented and in it to get better. Guessing that Woody is beating on him pretty hard right now. “Son, again…you gotta defend or you’re never gonna play!”

Indeed. I watched a fair amount of his HS games.   His ability to take shots he should never take and make some of them is actually pretty impressive. Deep deep shots.  Twisting midair, etc.  His athleticism is nasty as well.  
 His downsides were his individual effort on D on his man but also with team defensive concepts. Most guys take pride in locking down their guy, but CJ just kinda played a space and swatted at those passing by.  Like a zone defense that was on Xanax.  The other thing that bothered me offensively is he didn’t operate within the offense or team concepts. He crowded the ball, wanted to ball and didn’t move off and away from the ball to create any confusion. That all could be the coaches fault that just defaulted to letting his star player do whatever he wanted.  Kid has killer raw potential though.  

24 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Because it’s a message board about IU basketball. We talk and project all things IUBB related.  The staff is trying to assemble and recruit a roster for ‘23.  It doesn’t take a genius to project and discuss how things are going. The staff has had some defiencies recruiting thus far.  It appears we could and most likely will take a major step back for ‘23 expectations unless the staff has a couple aces up it’s sleeve.  I’ll enjoy every single success in ‘22 while projecting to see where we stack up in ‘23 and beyond along the way.  It’s fun to roster assemble and project. That’s how pre season rankings are done but the “pros”. 

That is fine but it gets old seeing mainly doom and gloom about a season that is a year away.  Like I have said before is some people look at things in a positive light where other people see the same thing and look at it in a negative light.  You see a couple of recruiting misses and players who leave and can't see how it will work out.  I see it as some guys who have out in the work and by next year will be huge contributors. I see guys like Duncomb by next year being a key contributor and even a starter. When he signed a lot of people thought he was the type of big that UW has gotten and by their junior year developed into good players. I also have read great things about CJ Gunn and think with time he will be a solid starter even by next year. I see guys like Geronimo and Bates next year being star players in the league. I see next year that Reneau being a all big ten type player.  I have said from the beginning that Banks might be the best of the freshman long term.

That is fine but it gets old seeing mainly doom and gloom about a season that is a year away.  Like I have said before is some people look at things in a positive light where other people see the same thing and look at it in a negative light.  You see a couple of recruiting misses and players who leave and can't see how it will work out.  I see it as some guys who have out in the work and by next year will be huge contributors. I see guys like Duncomb by next year being a key contributor and even a starter. When he signed a lot of people thought he was the type of big that UW has gotten and by their junior year developed into good players. I also have read great things about CJ Gunn and think with time he will be a solid starter even by next year. I see guys like Geronimo and Bates next year being star players in the league. I see next year that Reneau being a all big ten type player.  I have said from the beginning that Banks might be the best of the freshman long term.

That’s great. That’s absolutely the crimson-est colored glasses approach imaginable. Which is nice. I can tell you, objectively, our team won’t be viewed that way by the analysts that look at all the teams, at this point. I’m not sure why you care? I call a spade a spade. I’ve been pretty hyped about ‘22 ever since TJD announced he was coming back. Things can happen that can make me hype about next year too, but we differ in opinion about what will make us good next year. You think returning the roster we have will make us contenders. I think we are 2 maybe 3 strong additions away from being in the national discussion.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Just now, WayneFleekHoosier said:

That’s great. That’s absolutely the crimson-est colored glasses approach imaginable. Which is nice. I can tell you, objectively, our team won’t be viewed that way by the analysts that look at all the teams, at this point. I’m not sure why you care? I call a spade a spade. I’ve been pretty hyped about ‘22 ever since TJD announced he was coming back. Things can happen that can make me hype about next year too, but we differ in opinion about what will make us good next year. You think returning the roster we have will make us contenders. I think we are 2 maybe 3 strong additions away from being in the national discussion.

As long as we don't lose anyone who still has eligibility I definitely see us being a contender in the big ten.. It is hard at this time to know everyone's roster next year.

JHS/Cupps

Bates/Gunn/ Newton 

Banks/Galloway/ Leak

Geronimo/? Transfer

Reneau/Duncomb 

To me this is a very good team

As long as we don't lose anyone who still has eligibility I definitely see us being a contender in the big ten.. It is hard at this time to know everyone's roster next year.
JHS/Cupps
Bates/Gunn/ Newton 
Banks/Galloway/ Leak
Geronimo/? Transfer
Reneau/Duncomb 
To me this is a very good team

Agree to a point. Not bad with a lot of IFs. You got 3 guys starting we’ve never seen play (I do hope/agree all 3 of those guys will be really good). That assumes our critical pieces return (JHS/Geronimo/Bates/Duncomb). JHS returning would help a ton. Adding a starting level 4/5 with size is the biggest need.

Adding Queen and a top level transfer plus keeping players and them being as good as advertised should be enough.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I don’t think you see you like some do. Your posts are more often than not negative - you are the attack police labeling people as doom and gloomers over and over for having any type of conversation on this board.

while I find your doom and gloom cut and pastes to be negative you have your fair share of negative  standalone posts as well. It’s like you need to convince yourself that you are the glass half full guy by typing it into existence

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I think him coming back would be better for the long term health of the program than him being one and done. It is better for most programs to bring in guys who are really good but guys who aren't good enough to be one and done players.

I’d like to see him back just as I hoped Cody would for his soph season. Also think short-term health - continuity - consistent strength is better than waves and troughs. But we know the programs who’ve prospered with OAD’s, and Stu’s point on recruiting is sound, imo

Almost time for basketball. Here is what I’m thinking rotation wise without any insight knowledge whatsoever. 

Johnson

Hood

Kopp

TJD

Race

Tamar, Jordan, Trey off the bench. Curious about Malik.. 

8-9 man rotation when it matters ;)

Almost time for basketball. Here is what I’m thinking rotation wise without any insight knowledge whatsoever. 

Johnson
Hood
Kopp
TJD
Race

Probably nearly right on. Malik will be in for Race or Trayce though and will get a lot of minutes.

29 minutes ago, Trish said:

Johnson

Hood

Kopp

TJD

Race

I’m sorry, but CMW will play at least 10 and he will stay with it all year.  He made a statement the other day that the 2nd 5 has played better than the 1st 5 and have beaten them on occasion.

1 minute ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I’m sorry, but CMW will play at least 10 and he will stay with it all year.  He made a statement the other day that the 2nd 5 has played better than the 1st 5 and have beaten them on occasion.

Woody said that the four freshmen plus Leal have beaten the starters. Race was asked about that, started laughing his @$$ off, and called BS. 

That having been said, I agree that Woody will use about ten, but he'll shorten the rotation by March. I'm thinking that, other than in blowouts and exhibition games, everyone except CJ, Anthony, and Kaleb will play. Kaleb and CJ probably aren't ready to defend at this level yet.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

I agree that Woody will use about ten, but he'll shorten the rotation by March. I'm thinking that, other than in blowouts and exhibition games, everyone except CJ, Anthony, and Kaleb will play. Kaleb and CJ probably aren't ready to defend at this level yet.

Personally, I think Woody will try to play everybody for the cupcakes, exhibition, like you said, any blowouts.

But I think he'll trim the rotation down way before March. I think the first phase will be in January and further reductions as the B1G progresses. I don't have a clue who will/won't play because I haven't seen any of them play in an actual game.

I am hopeful that Logan and Anthony get some meaningful minutes on a (semi) consistent basis.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Woody said that the four freshmen plus Leal have beaten the starters. Race was asked about that, started laughing his @$$ off, and called BS. 

That having been said, I agree that Woody will use about ten, but he'll shorten the rotation by March. I'm thinking that, other than in blowouts and exhibition games, everyone except CJ, Anthony, and Kaleb will play. Kaleb and CJ probably aren't ready to defend at this level yet.

I have a feeling Kaleb will be in the rotation all season.

3 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

From what I understand CJ spent the first month of the summer just trying to learn the defense, and how to defend at the college level. I think he will be better than we thought. He is a natural scorer. I like him a lot personally. Met him on campus one day and he was super nice. 

I think he’s talented and seems to understand that he’s got a lot to learn and a lot of strength that he needs to gain.

This will be a learning year.