Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IU Basketball News and Notes

21 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Quote from TJD at Media Day: "Jalen is, he's ridiculous. 6-5 point guard, he's crafty with the ball, his mid-range is on point. He's really mature for his age. I really think he'll only be here for one year, but that's just me. He's a really, really good player."

I think it’s entirely possible he’s right and I doubt it’s a coincidence that Woodson started recruiting more ‘23 guards(Jackson, Harris-Smith, Demary) after Hood-Schifino got to campus and he really got to see him up close on a daily basis. One thing’s certain: there aren’t many freshman guards who walk in more physically ready to play than that kid.

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Quote from TJD at Media Day: "Jalen is, he's ridiculous. 6-5 point guard, he's crafty with the ball, his mid-range is on point. He's really mature for his age. I really think he'll only be here for one year, but that's just me. He's a really, really good player."

Really like - am intrigued by the mid-range comment. If we can bring a 3-level scoring game along with what i think will be a true 2 ball-handler deep backcourt? We’ll be much better offensively 

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I love hearing that he is really good, but would really like to have him for more than one year. A year two Jalen could push to the next level and give us sustainability. Having good players for multiple years is the key to getting where we want to go in my opinion.

8 hours ago, cthomas said:

I love hearing that he is really good, but would really like to have him for more than one year. A year two Jalen could push to the next level and give us sustainability. Having good players for multiple years is the key to getting where we want to go in my opinion.

Disagree.

The single best thing for the program's recruiting would be if Jalen Hood Schifino was a lotto pick after only one year with Woody, and wore candy stripes at the NBA draft podium. I would prefer that he shine so very bright. 

It is pretty unlikely that will happen, but it would vault the program like nothing else would.

Worst case scenario would be a Max Christie at MSU situation; not that great but shows potential and does well at draft camp, causing him to leave after one year.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Disagree.

The single best thing for the program's recruiting would be if Jalen Hood Schifino was a lotto pick after only one year with Woody, and wore candy stripes at the NBA draft podium. I would prefer that he shine so very bright. 

It is pretty unlikely that will happen, but it would vault the program like nothing else would.

Worst case scenario would be a Max Christie at MSU situation; not that great but shows potential and does well at draft camp, causing him to leave after one year.

I see both as real positives. A Cody-like scenario, 2 years after playing a big role in raising the program up, nationally #1 ranked and winning the B1G then to the lotto? Outstanding. A dominant frosh season, win the B1G and help lead us deep in the NCAA tourney, and then on to the podium? Huge for recruiting and helping to bring us back. 

13 hours ago, cthomas said:

I agree!  The one and done isn’t sustainable, IMO.  Kensucky has had their issues of late.  2 years and a lottery pick won’t hurt the recruiting either 

26 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

If JHS is a top 10 pick it means we likely are also a top 10 team this year as we know what we are getting from the other starters.

Top 10 means legit title contention and I will take that possibility all day. Just leaves us super bare for the following season

If leaves as a top ten pick and we are a top ten team, I can most definitely assure you the cupboard will be very full for next year.

40 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

If leaves as a top ten pick and we are a top ten team, I can most definitely assure you the cupboard will be very full for next year.

How so? It will mean turning over our entire starting lineup with a very young, inexperienced group stepping into those roles

2 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

How so? It will mean turning over our entire starting lineup with a very young, inexperienced group stepping into those roles

We are losing a ton of experience no matter what. Under your scenario that would mean our bench was fantastic and ready to step into featured roles, and the options to replace players we lost would be wonderful.

19 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

We are losing a ton of experience no matter what. Under your scenario that would mean our bench was fantastic and ready to step into featured roles, and the options to replace players we lost would be wonderful.

Not necessarily.  Some teams win with 7 or 8 players.  Actually, almost all the best teams win riding 8 players.  A few key reserves.  Having a winning season in no way guarantees a strong bench ready to takeover and contend at the highest level. JHS leaving after 1 season could possibly mean losing 5 starters and almost definitely means losing 5 of top 8.   At that point our options would be to fill the void of a bunch of spots via the transfer portal.  It’s possible, but it’s a scary proposition.  

32 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Not necessarily.  Some teams win with 7 or 8 players.  Actually, almost all the best teams win riding 8 players.  A few key reserves.  Having a winning season in no way guarantees a strong bench ready to takeover and contend at the highest level. JHS leaving after 1 season could possibly mean losing 5 starters and almost definitely means losing 5 of top 8.   At that point our options would be to fill the void of a bunch of spots via the transfer portal.  It’s possible, but it’s a scary proposition.  

So under that scenario not losing him means losing four of five starters and four of the top eight. Either way we are losing a lot.

Remember, my worst case scenario is that he leaves like Max Christie—not a lotto (so it doesn’t super charge recruiting) and doesn’t help us win a ton, but leaves anyway. That would suck.

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

So under that scenario not losing him means losing four of five starters and four of the top eight. Either way we are losing a lot.

Remember, my worst case scenario is that he leaves like Max Christie—not a lotto (so it doesn’t super charge recruiting) and doesn’t help us win a ton, but leaves anyway. That would suck.

Even if he is a first rounder it means he was good for us. We all think he will be but there is never a guarantee.

yeah, I think we are going to revert back to being average again in 23-24 but not having a returning point guard will make us even worse. A solid point guard can make up for a lot of deficits.

I also would not argue that having him go as a 1 and done or even a lotto pick helps recruiting much if any. I think it takes a history of success there to really move the needle.

19 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

I also would not argue that having him go as a 1 and done or even a lotto pick helps recruiting much if any. I think it takes a history of success there to really move the needle.

Yes and no. Woodson’s just in year 2. Year 1 back to the tourney then lands 2 5 stars and an all around strong class. Having JHS go right to a good 1st round pick out of the gate would show incoming prospects this is what he can do and immediately. 

22 hours ago, Chris007 said:

He mentioned him several times. Said he will get a lot more minutes than last year but any minutes would be more than last season. But I heard a few weeks ago Logan was really making an effort in everything. Eating right, really working out hard, just living basketball this summer.

Him developing would solve a lot of the issues that concern most of us. Would love that. Also, I have the sneaking suspicion that CJ Gunn is going to be much better than we all think. Any word on his impact this summer? I watch him play and see massive upside. 

2 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

Him developing would solve a lot of the issues that concern most of us. Would love that. Also, I have the sneaking suspicion that CJ Gunn is going to be much better than we all think. Any word on his impact this summer? I watch him play and see massive upside. 

I get the impression that CJ is pretty raw, but that he’s talented and in it to get better. Guessing that Woody is beating on him pretty hard right now. “Son, again…you gotta defend or you’re never gonna play!”

1 hour ago, MikeRoberts said:

Even if he is a first rounder it means he was good for us. We all think he will be but there is never a guarantee.

yeah, I think we are going to revert back to being average again in 23-24 but not having a returning point guard will make us even worse. A solid point guard can make up for a lot of deficits.

My god why worry about next year and be all doom. And gloom even before this season starts.  Next year's class won't be totally assembled until May and a lot of things can happen in the mean time. I saw someone post on HSN that we are stl pushing for McQueen to reclassify and thought if he did it would be for IU.

1 hour ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Yes and no. Woodson’s just in year 2. Year 1 back to the tourney then lands 2 5 stars and an all around strong class. Having JHS go right to a good 1st round pick out of the gate would show incoming prospects this is what he can do and immediately. 

I think him coming back would be better for the long term health of the program than him being one and done. It is better for most programs to bring in guys who are really good but guys who aren't good enough to be one and done players.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

My god why worry about next year and be all doom. And gloom even before this season starts.  Next year's class won't be totally assembled until May and a lot of things can happen in the mean time. I saw someone post on HSN that we are stl pushing for McQueen to reclassify and thought if he did it would be for IU.

Because it’s a message board about IU basketball. We talk and project all things IUBB related.  The staff is trying to assemble and recruit a roster for ‘23.  It doesn’t take a genius to project and discuss how things are going. The staff has had some defiencies recruiting thus far.  It appears we could and most likely will take a major step back for ‘23 expectations unless the staff has a couple aces up it’s sleeve.  I’ll enjoy every single success in ‘22 while projecting to see where we stack up in ‘23 and beyond along the way.  It’s fun to roster assemble and project. That’s how pre season rankings are done but the “pros”.