Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IU Basketball News and Notes

1 hour ago, Demo said:

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/LongFormArticle/Three-questions-to-monitor-ahead-of-IU-mens-basketball-media-day-193800353/#193800353_1

Nothing here that we haven’t already beaten half to death, but Rabby distills them better than we do. 

It's a good breakdown. Somewhat surprised he didn't speak to Bates' expected jump and the offseason rumblings surrounding him, or where things stand with Galloway, but overall a good overview, imo.

21 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

It's a good breakdown. Somewhat surprised he didn't speak to Bates' expected jump and the offseason rumblings surrounding him, or where things stand with Galloway, but overall a good overview, imo.

Galloway is such an underrated player.

IMO he is a 32% three point shot away from being good enough to be in the top seven on a national championship caliber team.

His athleticism, his off-ball movement and awareness on offense and defense, and his constant effort and 'chippy-ness' is so, so good. And that's what he was like last year when he was physically limited.

18 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

IMO he is a 32% three point shot away from being good enough to be in the top seven on a national championship caliber team.

His athleticism, his off-ball movement and awareness on offense and defense, and his constant effort and 'chippy-ness' is so, so good. And that's what he was like last year when he was physically limited.

He's definitely underrated, at least outside us IU fans. I'd like to see him improve his out-of-control baseline drives but agree, if (though kind of a big if) he can improve his outside shot he'd be right up there. I still want him on the floor a lot of the time regardless, he clearly makes others around him better, he's right behind the point guards in play development, and he has the Sheehey-like moxey and defensive play that we all love.

2 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Galloway's inability to hit perimeter shots means he will come off the bench and play behind Tamar Bates and Jalen Hood-Schifino. He needs a shot doctor as his shooting form is pretty bad (unusual for a coach's son). Also, because he lacks a reliable outside shot, his offense is predictable making him easier to guard than the other two. But he is a hustle player who has a knack for getting steals and loose balls.He will definitely see the floor based on his defense and hustle but his playing time could be reduced from last season with the addition of Hood-Schifino and the apparent improvement of Bates (as reported over the summer).

Anyone paying any attention noticed the late season impact of improved play from X.

These two sentences in the Rabby article really brings it home:

Xavier Johnson. In the final 10 games, Johnson averaged 16.6 points and 6.6 assists per game while shooting 45.5 percent from 3-point range and maintaing a 2-to-1 turnover-to-assist ratio. In the prior 24 games, he averaged just 10.3 points and 4.4 assists per game while shooting 34.4 percent from 3-point range.

5 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

Anyone paying any attention noticed the late season impact of improved play from X.

These two sentences in the Rabby article really brings it home:

Xavier Johnson. In the final 10 games, Johnson averaged 16.6 points and 6.6 assists per game while shooting 45.5 percent from 3-point range and maintaing a 2-to-1 turnover-to-assist ratio. In the prior 24 games, he averaged just 10.3 points and 4.4 assists per game while shooting 34.4 percent from 3-point range.

He was probably a top-2 PG in the last couple weeks of the season and I’m not sure he was #2. 

57 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

In the last 10 games X had a 2-1 A/T ration and shot 45.5% from the three.. If he can shoot 40% this year, and another guy steps up to be a reliable perimeter threat (Bates/JHS/JG or someone else),  our ceiling  rises. Really looking forward to the season.

That's another big if imo. X has a wonky looking, bad form outside shot. That he shot 45-plus percent to close the year was big time, but I'm frankly skeptical it's maintainable. He just doesn't 'look' like a strong outside shooter. HOWEVER, there are guys with wonky looking shots that are excellent outside shooters so just maybe (and hopefully). I always think of Reggie Miller (one of my fav players of all time) -- his release was outstanding, but man he dragged the ball up from like way below his waist, which of course is bad form, but hey, one of the (and until Ray Allen the) most prolific 3-point shooters in NBA history. Anyway, I think X is going to shoot it well, especially with the space that I'm betting JHS and the improvements of returning guys gets him, but I'm not betting on 40%.

2 hours ago, Honkyman said:

Galloway's inability to hit perimeter shots means he will come off the bench and play behind Tamar Bates and Jalen Hood-Schifino. He needs a shot doctor as his shooting form is pretty bad (unusual for a coach's son). Also, because he lacks a reliable outside shot, his offense is predictable making him easier to guard than the other two. But he is a hustle player who has a knack for getting steals and loose balls.He will definitely see the floor based on his defense and hustle but his playing time could be reduced from last season with the addition of Hood-Schifino and the apparent improvement of Bates (as reported over the summer).

I'm sure he'll come off the bench, and agree his shooting form is pretty bad -- there's been a fair amount of discussion here whether that was caused by earlier hand injuries in high school, I don't know either way, and it does make his O predictable and defenders sag.

But I'd say he's a lot more than a hustle player (not that there's anything wrong with that lol). He was 3rd on the team in assists per game (5th per 40 min and poss but that includes Lander and Leal who barely played), which is like saying he was like a point. No, he's not a point, but yes, he helps the guys around him offensively, along with in-your-face D. There's a great deal of competition for floor time this season, a lot to watch to see what develops and with whom, but he's a guy I want to see -- when fully healthy -- getting good minutes.

7 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

I had told someone — maybe my brother? Maybe I posted it here somewhere? — that someday he’d get under an opposing star’s skin in a big game and throw him off, swinging the game 

I realized this offseason that he already did! Obviously Ivey had a great second half when PU lost at IU last winter, but part of the reason IU hung in there in the first half was that Ivey was off his game, got a T throwing Trey to the ground, etc.

And yes, his jumper is a swing skill for him as a player and for the team.

3 hours ago, lillurk said:

I had told someone — maybe my brother? Maybe I posted it here somewhere? — that someday he’d get under an opposing star’s skin in a big game and throw him off, swinging the game 

I realized this offseason that he already did! Obviously Ivey had a great second half when PU lost at IU last winter, but part of the reason IU hung in there in the first half was that Ivey was off his game, got a T throwing Trey to the ground, etc.

And yes, his jumper is a swing skill for him as a player and for the team.

Yeah he was all over Ivey, frustrated him into losing his cool along with his game in the 1st. Galloway’s D when he’s healthy is the real deal,

1 hour ago, DWB said:

For those of you who missed it live, here is link to Woodson's media day from earlier today.

At about the two minute mark Woody says X's problems are behind him, that X no longer has a vehicle (lol) and that X has made tremendous strides as a person, not just as a player. Then said that in the whole program, X has taken the biggest jump as a player since last season. Which is saying something because he was pretty ******* excellent by the end of last season.

Also from Woody,

"I can't say this loud enough guys. I came back here to win Big 10 title and a national title."

When asked about his expectations against the highly ranked teams in the non-conference schedule:

"To win."

On 9/21/2022 at 12:15 PM, Stuhoo said:

A little like Will was back in the day.

Just now, Chris007 said:

He mentioned him several times. Said he will get a lot more minutes than last year but any minutes would be more than last season. But I heard a few weeks ago Logan was really making an effort in everything. Eating right, really working out hard, just living basketball this summer.

Cause he’s kinda talented, and with right coaching staff could be kinda good!

Quote from TJD at Media Day: "Jalen is, he's ridiculous. 6-5 point guard, he's crafty with the ball, his mid-range is on point. He's really mature for his age. I really think he'll only be here for one year, but that's just me. He's a really, really good player."

13 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Quote from TJD at Media Day: "Jalen is, he's ridiculous. 6-5 point guard, he's crafty with the ball, his mid-range is on point. He's really mature for his age. I really think he'll only be here for one year, but that's just me. He's a really, really good player."

I love this. If he’s great we go far, we show recruits that we can coach 1 and done’s and we still have some depth with Cupp coming plus Galloway.