Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IU Basketball News and Notes

8 hours ago, DougWil said:

You seem to be saying that him being an effective backup to TJD and Race Thompson means that he's not one of the best players on the team. I think he could be one of the best freshmen IU has had in many years and still be a backup to TJD and Race Thompson. As a sixth-year senior who was honorable mention all-Big Ten last year, Race may not be dislodged from the starting lineup even if Reneau is as good as TJD was his freshman year. I don't see a problem with that as long as Reneau is getting his share of minutes, too. 

Race is definitely starting, it’s not a “may” or may not. 
Ren looks excellent— but if you put a junior JG against those same HS players Ren just finished playing JG would destroy them. Easy to sit back and say Ren is better. JG is a monster athlete with 2 years of college ball and 1 in Woodson’s system and just came off a strong NCAA tourney showing. Meanwhile Race has all the exp in the world and returns with his demonstrated play against the best in the B1G. We just don’t know how quickly Ren will acclimate to the college game against junior and senior bigs, it’s a big step up from HS no matter how good the HS comp.
I’m betting Ren earns good PT and early, primarily backing up the 4, whether it’s 13-18 min or 20 remains to be seen, and we def do not know that he’s immediately better, in B1G play, than JG or Race, I doubt it, but i’m sure he’s going to be good

16 minutes ago, BGleas said:

My expectation is that Malik Reneau is pretty similar to a freshmen TJD in terms of talent. He won't have the same opportunity that TJD had as a freshmen because Reneau is coming into a much more talented team, but he should have a big impact on IU this season and should contribute from the beginning. He'll allow both TJD and Race Thompson to play less minutes and be more fresh for the postseason. 

I expect that he'll be a pretty big upgrade over Michael Durr and a sophomore Geronimo. How he'll compare to a junior Geronimo remains to be seen. Either way, IU will have one of the best interior rotations in the country. 

Oh yeah?

Well Xavier Johnson was the best pg in the B1G by the end of last season and he’s joined by a five star mature combo who are backed by very effective Trey Galloway. So IU will have one of the best backcourt rotations in the country.

10 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Oh yeah?

Well Xavier Johnson was the best pg in the B1G by the end of last season and he’s joined by a five star mature combo who are backed by very effective Trey Galloway. So IU will have one of the best backcourt rotations in the country.

Sounds good to me, let's go win this thing!!

22 hours ago, BGleas said:

My expectation is that Malik Reneau is pretty similar to a freshmen TJD in terms of talent. He won't have the same opportunity that TJD had as a freshmen because Reneau is coming into a much more talented team, but he should have a big impact on IU this season and should contribute from the beginning. He'll allow both TJD and Race Thompson to play less minutes and be more fresh for the postseason. 

I expect that he'll be a pretty big upgrade over Michael Durr and a sophomore Geronimo. How he'll compare to a junior Geronimo remains to be seen. Either way, IU will have one of the best interior rotations in the country. 

That’s exactly what I was thinking when he was left off that list.  If Trayce and Race get in foul trouble or need a few minutes to rest, he will come in and we won’t a significant drop off like we did with Durr

1 hour ago, IUFAN1976 said:

That’s exactly what I was thinking when he was left off that list.  If Trayce and Race get in foul trouble or need a few minutes to rest, he will come in and we won’t a significant drop off like we did with Durr

Not sure if I'm reading your post wrong, but that's not really what I meant. I think Reneau will play more then just to give TJD or Race a breather for a few minutes. 

I think he'll be consistent rotation player that gets somewhere between 15-20 minutes per game and is a contributing factor. . He'll allow TJD and Race to play less minutes throughout the season, not just give them a rest for a few minutes here and there. 

14 hours ago, BGleas said:

Not sure if I'm reading your post wrong, but that's not really what I meant. I think Reneau will play more then just to give TJD or Race a breather for a few minutes. 

I think he'll be consistent rotation player that gets somewhere between 15-20 minutes per game and is a contributing factor. . He'll allow TJD and Race to play less minutes throughout the season, not just give them a rest for a few minutes here and there. 

I think your right.  He will take most of TJDs time and he will be fighting with JG for the minutes at the 4 as well.  I think that’s why JG was trying to turn into a 3.  

15 hours ago, BGleas said:

I know exactly what you meant.  I agree, but his minutes will 12 to 16 minutes and most of them will be giving rest to TJD and Race.  He may play some minutes at the 3 if the matchup exists but this team has too much competition at the wing position for him to get a lot of minutes at the 3

On 8/22/2022 at 7:48 PM, HoosierHoopster said:

Race is definitely starting, it’s not a “may” or may not. 
Ren looks excellent— but if you put a junior JG against those same HS players Ren just finished playing JG would destroy them. Easy to sit back and say Ren is better. JG is a monster athlete with 2 years of college ball and 1 in Woodson’s system and just came off a strong NCAA tourney showing. Meanwhile Race has all the exp in the world and returns with his demonstrated play against the best in the B1G. We just don’t know how quickly Ren will acclimate to the college game against junior and senior bigs, it’s a big step up from HS no matter how good the HS comp.
I’m betting Ren earns good PT and early, primarily backing up the 4, whether it’s 13-18 min or 20 remains to be seen, and we def do not know that he’s immediately better, in B1G play, than JG or Race, I doubt it, but i’m sure he’s going to be good

But would the current day Jordan Geronimo destroy what TJD was as a freshman? Is the current Race Thompson better than TJD was as a freshman? Is Reneau at a similar level of talent and maturity as TJD as a freshman? I think these are at least as relevant questions as how JG would fare against the kids Reneau was playing against. Even so, I wouldn't downgrade that competition. Reneau became a key player for a Montverde program that had a record seven of its former players picked in the 2021 NBA Draft and five of its 2021-22 team sign with high majors - Duke, Texas, IU (2), and Illinois. The Montverde players compete against high-level competition in practice every day.  https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-sp-nba-draft-montverde-six-selections-20210730-vf7wochp7rh2divrrocthkg3jq-story.html

I am not suggesting Race won't start. I do believe Reneau may cause him to play fewer minutes than he otherwise would, which wouldn't be a bad thing. I think Reneau has a good chance of being a core rotational player, despite the logjam at his position. His soft interior shooting touch, high basketball IQ, and team-centered game seem pretty special based on video and scouting reports. I don't think you leave that on the bench most of the game when you're trying to win a Big Ten title.  

Look at what Woodson has said about Reneau: 

"Malik has enjoyed success at the highest level in high school and brings a competitive and winning presence to our program,'' Woodson said. "He’s an outstanding offensive player who continues to expand his game. He has great touch and tremendous footwork and he uses his quickness to his advantage.''

Reneau has played with and against a roster full of Division I talent for two years running now, so making the adjustment to college basketball should be easy. Reneau is smart, and has a great feel for the game. 

"He has a great Basketball IQ and is an unselfish teammate who has benefitted from working with and against some very talented players on a daily basis,'' Woodson said. "Defensively, he is well suited to today’s game. He keeps his man in front of him and can step out in pick and roll situations and hold his own."

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/basketball/indiana-basketball-mike-woodson-impressed-with-signee-malik-reneau-both-ends-of-floor

4 minutes ago, DougWil said:

But would the current day Jordan Geronimo destroy what TJD was as a freshman? Is the current Race Thompson better than TJD was as a freshman? Is Reneau at a similar level of talent and maturity as TJD as a freshman? I think these are at least as relevant questions as how JG would fare against the kids Reneau was playing against. Even so, I wouldn't downgrade that competition. Reneau became a key player for a Montverde program that had a record seven of its former players picked in the 2021 NBA Draft and five of its 2021-22 team sign with high majors - Duke, Texas, IU (2), and Illinois. The Montverde players compete against high-level competition in practice every day.  https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-sp-nba-draft-montverde-six-selections-20210730-vf7wochp7rh2divrrocthkg3jq-story.html

I am not suggesting Race won't start. I do believe Reneau may cause him to play fewer minutes than he otherwise would, which wouldn't be a bad thing. I think Reneau has a good chance of being a core rotational player, despite the logjam at his position. His soft interior shooting touch, high basketball IQ, and team-centered game seem pretty special based on video and scouting reports. I don't think you leave that on the bench most of the game when you're trying to win a Big Ten title.  

Look at what Woodson has said about Reneau: 

"Malik has enjoyed success at the highest level in high school and brings a competitive and winning presence to our program,'' Woodson said. "He’s an outstanding offensive player who continues to expand his game. He has great touch and tremendous footwork and he uses his quickness to his advantage.''

Reneau has played with and against a roster full of Division I talent for two years running now, so making the adjustment to college basketball should be easy. Reneau is smart, and has a great feel for the game. 

"He has a great Basketball IQ and is an unselfish teammate who has benefitted from working with and against some very talented players on a daily basis,'' Woodson said. "Defensively, he is well suited to today’s game. He keeps his man in front of him and can step out in pick and roll situations and hold his own."

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/basketball/indiana-basketball-mike-woodson-impressed-with-signee-malik-reneau-both-ends-of-floor

I don’t think we disagree, I’ve been saying we just don’t know yet how big his impact will be/how many minutes he’ll play and we just don’t. I also said as I think it’s clear he’s going to be good and will play significant minutes early, so not really getting all of this. No doubt he’ll play good minutes. But I do think some are discounting what JG showed end of last season and in the NCAA tourney and as a junior with another summer behind him. I will be very surprised if he’s not a major contributor 

20 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

I don’t think we disagree, I’ve been saying we just don’t know yet how big his impact will be/how many minutes he’ll play and we just don’t. I also said as I think it’s clear he’s going to be good and will play significant minutes early, so not really getting all of this. No doubt he’ll play good minutes. But I do think some are discounting what JG showed end of last season and in the NCAA tourney and as a junior with another summer behind him. I will be very surprised if he’s not a major contributor 

I agree that we don't disagree. : ). Geronimo is one of my favorite Hoosier players and certainly one of the most exciting and spectacular -- and game-changing at times! I'll be extremely interested to see where he finds his spot and what steps forward he takes next season. Two great things for the team from my perspective would be if Bates grabs hold of the 3 spot and becomes a consistent shooting and scoring threat, and if Reneau is as good as advertised as the backup four and looks like a near future high-level all-Big Ten player. But where would that leave Geronimo? Who knows? These are good questions for a team to have, especially with the chance of injuries along the way.  

Just now, Hovadipo said:

Re: TJD's development:

“Everyone likes to talk about him shooting the jumper, and he can extend his range, he has extended it, but the things NBA teams want to see him do well is: make free throws, set screens, get off screens, rim run, catch lobs, rebound and defend in the pick and roll,” associate head coach Yasir Rosemond said. “There is not a team in the NBA that wants Trayce to shoot 3-point shots.”

This is so, so SO true.

Now, I think it would be good if he shows that when defenders back off he can hit an eight foot jumper and can finish without getting all the way to the rim.

TJD's "if everything was perfect" prototype? Bam Adebayo. About the same size, NBA All-Star with great court awareness. Finishes in a variety of ways within ten feet of the rim; at the rim if he can, and with short jumpers and half hooks when he cannot. Great, switchable defender anywhere on the court. Excellent ball-skills for a five. Never shoots a three.

Re: the discussion above about Malik:

“I actually think he’s better than he was ranked, at least offensively,” Rosemond said. “Like most freshmen, he’ll have to prove it defensively and with conditioning and all of that, but from an offensive standpoint he is really, really good. He can shoot it, pass it, play off both shoulders, he can handle the ball for his size. We can expect some big things out of him.”

The big questions Wooden and his staff have for now are about conditioning and physicality, and how those factors dovetail with Reneau’s understanding of IU’s defensive concepts. But with Jackson-Davis and Thompson up front, Reneau won’t be playing anything close to starter’s minutes right away, and he should be able to figure things out — and get a few aesthetically pleasing left-handed buckets — as he goes.

Last one. Interesting blurb about CJ Gunn:

The lowest-ranked recruit of Indiana’s 11th-ranked incoming 2022 class is still the sixth-best player from the state of Indiana this season, and the only local kid IU is bringing in. And he fits the stereotypical Indiana mold: He can really shoot it.

This trait gives him a real chance to play real minutes right away. True story. “He may shock some people,” Rosemond said. “He can really fill it up, and he’s not bashful at all. If you come in, show some toughness, show you can defend, and make shots? The lineup is wide open. Because no one made shots last year.”

4 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Re: the discussion above about Malik:

“I actually think he’s better than he was ranked, at least offensively,” Rosemond said. “Like most freshmen, he’ll have to prove it defensively and with conditioning and all of that, but from an offensive standpoint he is really, really good. He can shoot it, pass it, play off both shoulders, he can handle the ball for his size. We can expect some big things out of him.”

The big questions Wooden and his staff have for now are about conditioning and physicality, and how those factors dovetail with Reneau’s understanding of IU’s defensive concepts. But with Jackson-Davis and Thompson up front, Reneau won’t be playing anything close to starter’s minutes right away, and he should be able to figure things out — and get a few aesthetically pleasing left-handed buckets — as he goes.

This is about what I expected for Ren early on, it's going to take him some time like virtually any incoming frosh frontcourt player to acclimate on the defensive end to the speed of the college game, to the sets and concepts / schemes IU / Woodson run, and to the conditioning college ball requires. I'm sure he'll get there, but the idea he would just come in and immediately play major starter minutes was a bit over the top imo.

What a great read by the most excellent Eamann Brennan. He was really good all the way back to his Inside the Hall days, and he's even better now.

"When Indiana fans get frustrated at their team not being able to shoot, it’s because every Indiana fan personally knows five guys who shot roughly 50 percent from 3 at the HPER during their own collegiate career. Find someone."

Another article to file under the "If this doesn't get you excited I don't know what will."

10 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

What a great read by the most excellent Eamann Brennan. He was really good all the way back to his Inside the Hall days, and he's even better now.

"When Indiana fans get frustrated at their team not being able to shoot, it’s because every Indiana fan personally knows five guys who shot roughly 50 percent from 3 at the HPER during their own collegiate career. Find someone."

Another article to file under the "If this doesn't get you excited I don't know what will."

He’s not one to blow smoke either. He’ll happily call a Hoosier turd a Hoosier turd.