Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IU Basketball News and Notes

On 8/20/2022 at 6:23 AM, IUc2016 said:

Haha, if Malik ends up being impactful enough to make a list full of 3* freshman how in the world does that automatically mean our season went sideways??

He could average 5 points and 4 rebounds as a steady presence off the bench, on a big ten championship team,  and he would deserve to be in the top 5 on this list. 

*'s are nice for fan engagement but mean little when the ball is tipped to begin the season. Trayce, Race, and Jordan will be getting the majority of the minutes at the 4-5. If Ren is getting enough minutes that he's making an impact to that Big Ten championship, that we've already won in the off-season, that would indicate that something happened to one of those other players..........

Opportunity to make an impact is an important factor in determining who could potentially make this list. I know many on here see "Indiana" and "high stars!" and automatically think we're being disrespected because he doesn't make some list. It's goofiness. The 5 points and 4 rebounds could easily be tallied in mop up minutes and he might not deserve to be on a top 10 list "full of 3* freshmen."

2 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

*'s are nice for fan engagement but mean little when the ball is tipped to begin the season. Trayce, Race, and Jordan will be getting the majority of the minutes at the 4-5. If Ren is getting enough minutes that he's making an impact to that Big Ten championship, that we've already won in the off-season, that would indicate that something happened to one of those other players..........

Opportunity to make an impact is an important factor in determining who could potentially make this list. I know many on here see "Indiana" and "high stars!" and automatically think we're being disrespected because he doesn't make some list. It's goofiness. The 5 points and 4 rebounds could easily be tallied in mop up minutes and he might not deserve to be on a top 10 list "full of 3* freshmen."

No no no. You can’t, on one hand say that our season went sideways if Malik gets impactful minutes, and on the other say that if he does get impactful minutes on a big ten championship team that something happened to one of the other players. 

also, I have no problem with the list. Don’t agree with it, but don’t have a problem with it. I do strongly disagree with you saying there’s no way he could get impactful minutes on a successful season. Just seems very absolute with no real evidence of how he will play this season. 

and it looks like he made the list since it has been updated so……

2 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

I think Reneau will be as good as TJD was as a freshman. If so, he'll take some minutes from Thompson. That wouldn't be a bad thing considering how tired Thompson looked at the end of last season. He would also be much better than Geronimo unless Geronimo makes a huge offseason improvement. In other words, he can have a big season on a successful team because he's a good player.

1 minute ago, go iu bb said:

think Reneau will be as good as TJD was as a freshman. 

Trayce Jackson Davis averaged 13.6 points and 8.1 rebounds a game as a freshman. TDJ was on the all-freshman conference team and 3rd team Big Ten overall his first year. It's highly unlikely that Reneau plays at that level this coming season. Unless he starts--which only happens if TJD or Race Thompson are hurt--he can't get anywhere near TJD's freshman numbers. As for Geronimo, he demonstrated near the end of the season he can score. Reneau is talented, no doubt, but he will be coming off the bench. 

7 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Trayce Jackson Davis averaged 13.6 points and 8.1 rebounds a game as a freshman. TDJ was on the all-freshman conference team and 3rd team Big Ten overall his first year. It's highly unlikely that Reneau plays at that level this coming season. Unless he starts--which only happens if TJD or Race Thompson are hurt--he can't get anywhere near TJD's freshman numbers. As for Geronimo, he demonstrated near the end of the season he can score. Reneau is talented, no doubt, but he will be coming off the bench. 

I'm not talking about production, I'm talking about skill and ability. He won't get the minutes of TJD as a freshman but as far as playing ability goes, he'll be good enough to get good minutes including taking some from both Thompson and Geronimo along with taking all of Durr's vacant minutes. He's too good to be a bench warmer. He won't start but he'll play plenty.

3 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

He won't start but he'll play plenty.

I agree Reneau will play and will show signs of being very good. But he won't be as good as TJD was as a freshman. TJD was the best player on that IU team as a freshman. If he is that good he would start. And, he is not starting ahead of TJD or Race Thompson. 

He doesn't have to start to make an impact. I look at Malik as a significant upgrade over Durr. There were games when we couldn't play Durr because of match up problems. I don't think that will be the case with Malik. I think he will give us depth and quality minutes on the frontcourt. That equates to impact and an overall better team.

20 hours ago, Honkyman said:

I agree Reneau will play and will show signs of being very good. But he won't be as good as TJD was as a freshman. TJD was the best player on that IU team as a freshman. If he is that good he would start. And, he is not starting ahead of TJD or Race Thompson. 

20 hours ago, Honkyman said:

How do you know Reneau isn't better than Race Thompson, whether or not Malik starts? I predict that Reneau will right away be a more effective post scorer than Race. He might be a better defender, as well. 

23 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Have you watched the tapes of Reneau playing in high school against high-level competition? As gifted as Geronimo is athletically, I don't see how he will get more minutes at the 4 and 5 than Reneau. In terms of skill level, Reneau is a clearly better player. Geronimo has potential obviously, but in his sophomore year, he averaged 4.4 points and 3.6 rebounds. He is still a project and is learning and possibly transitioning to a new position. Reneau is not a project. 

31 minutes ago, DougWil said:

I predict that Reneau will right away be a more effective post scorer than Race. He might be a better defender, as well. 

OK. That's your prediction. My prediction is that Reneau will be an effective back-up to TJD and Race Thompson. He might struggle against the North Carolina and Kansas teams that are early in the schedule, but will improve steadily throughout the season. You have your prediction and I have mine. Only time will tell which one is the more accurate.

7 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

OK. That's your prediction. My prediction is that Reneau will be an effective back-up to TJD and Race Thompson. He might struggle against the North Carolina and Kansas teams that are early in the schedule, but will improve steadily throughout the season. You have your prediction and I have mine. Only time will tell which one is the more accurate.

You seem to be saying that him being an effective backup to TJD and Race Thompson means that he's not one of the best players on the team. I think he could be one of the best freshmen IU has had in many years and still be a backup to TJD and Race Thompson. As a sixth-year senior who was honorable mention all-Big Ten last year, Race may not be dislodged from the starting lineup even if Reneau is as good as TJD was his freshman year. I don't see a problem with that as long as Reneau is getting his share of minutes, too. 

16 minutes ago, DougWil said:

You seem to be saying that him being an effective backup to TJD and Race Thompson means that he's not one of the best players on the team

That's not what I said. This started with a prediction that Reneau would be as good as TJD was a freshman. I pointed out that TJD averaged over 13 points and 8 rebounds a game and was all-conference 3rd team as a freshman. Reneau won't come close to matching those numbers nor will he make an all-conference team. Those are qualitative measurements. What is "one of the best players on the team" mean? The best players tend to be those who start games, those who log the most playing time, and those who are on the floor at the end of close games. I predict barring injuries Reneau will not start and, in general, will not be on the floor at the end of close games. I have no doubt he will contribute when he is on the floor in a back-up role. Perhaps, he will fall into a "super sub" category as someone who contributes as much as starters do. That would be great if that is the case.

8 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

That's not what I said. This started with a prediction that Reneau would be as good as TJD was a freshman. I pointed out that TJD averaged over 13 points and 8 rebounds a game and was all-conference 3rd team as a freshman. Reneau won't come close to matching those numbers nor will he make an all-conference team. Those are qualitative measurements. What is "one of the best players on the team" mean? The best players tend to be those who start games, those who log the most playing time, and those who are on the floor at the end of close games. I predict barring injuries Reneau will not start and, in general, will not be on the floor at the end of close games. I have no doubt he will contribute when he is on the floor in a back-up role. Perhaps, he will fall into a "super sub" category as someone who contributes as much as starters do. That would be great if that is the case.

The aspect where I may disagree with you is when you said that if Malik is as good as TJD was as a freshman than Malik would be starting. I don't think that's necessarily true. And you say that Malik won't be as good as TJD was a freshman because he won't be starting. Which again may just be an indication of being on a better team. But like you say, "as good" is subjective. In any case, it's probably just semantics and doesn't really matter. Let's hope he's a strong contributor and not worry any further about ranking his place in history just yet. : ).