Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IU Basketball News and Notes

1 hour ago, go iu bb said:

Last I saw, Galloway's recovery time was unknown but it was thought that he would be at 100% by the start of regular season practices. Did I miss an update which says he'll be out longer?

I expect the Kansas game to be a loss, too, but I think there is a chance. They'll have 3 new starters and 2 of them are expected to be freshmen. 5* freshmen but still freshmen and not top 5 type. If they take some time to adjust and the team takes time to gel, there is a chance to steal one in a place they rarely lose. A small chance, yes, but still a chance.

I think IU beats AZ and Xavier.

UNC will be a tough one. There's a chance since it's at home but they're very good on paper. They didn't have a great regular season last year so I guess we'll see if that is the real UNC or the tournament run was. 

The last report was it's anticipated he'll be back at the start of the season -- but to me, being realistic, he just had groin surgery. The idea that he'll be back and playing at the start of the season to me is fanciful. obviously not practicing or anything like for the rest of the summer, and he'll need to get back into game shape, full bore, and you know, it's groin surgery. I doubt he's out there that early, will love it if he is. (Kid's tough and has a great work ethic, so maybe.)

KU loses at home when, lol. I'd love a W there but I'll bank on a L. 

Like I said I'm optimistic (very) on this team. I think we beat AZ and probably X though that's away, and I tend to think we get UNC at home in a monster home game with all the surrounding hype. So I think we have a pretty good shot at 3-1, but I also see 2-2 as very possible.

I think, with the guys we have back, we know what the floor is with this team. How good, and ready, the new guys are will determine our ceiling. Based on what I know about them, I think the ceiling is really high. I want to win early, but I really, really want to win late. As in March and, hopefully, April.

2 hours ago, cthomas said:

I think, with the guys we have back, we know what the floor is with this team. How good, and ready, the new guys are will determine our ceiling. Based on what I know about them, I think the ceiling is really high. I want to win early, but I really, really want to win late. As in March and, hopefully, April.

That’s important!  Peaking mid to late B10 season will be something to look for going into the B10 and NCAA tournament.  BK’s 3 National title teams peaked about mid B10 season!

20 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

People hated our 300-plus ranked non-con scheduling (for good reason, imo) but the 2022 noncon schedule is frankly brutal, talk about flipping the schedule on its head -- complete polar opposite in non-con scheduling. We're going to see fairly early on if the preseason predictions are on or off. I'm both encouraged by the non-con, looking forward to the power matchups, and a little apprehensive that we've bit off more than we can chew so early on.

But -- even if the team loses more of these than we'd like, it does fit into that MSU-type scheduling that gets the team battle-tested early and from which it develops into a strong, tested team heading into conf play, and sets us up well for NCAA-selection, when there's no way the idiotic committee can downgrade IU based on SOS, like it clearly did this past season while favoring UM on its SOS while ignoring its poor overall record. Net positive.

In short, I just prefer the early big games. Win or lose, they will pay off later in the season, and/or post season. 

At the end of the day, if you want to be a big time program, you need big time preseason games like this. 

Woody had a good first year. He's got his work cut out for him in year 2. Got my popcorn.

On 6/28/2022 at 3:47 PM, DWB said:

For those interested, Coach Ja is on with the Hysterics guys on their podcast. He's really good to listen to IMO. (Coach that is...)

Interview starts at the 31 minute mark.

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Article/Hoosier-Hysterics-Podcast-Yasir-Rosemond-189336074/

Pretty long chat, well over an hour, and worth every minute. I am an unabashed fan of Rosemond. Very straightforward dude. Plus, he and I really like the same kinds of players, which must really ease his mind.

21 minutes ago, Demo said:

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Article/Hoosier-Hysterics-Podcast-Yasir-Rosemond-189336074/

Pretty long chat, well over an hour, and worth every minute. I am an unabashed fan of Rosemond. Very straightforward dude. Plus, he and I really like the same kinds of players, which must really ease his mind.

Any silver bullets or big items?

14 minutes ago, Southside said:

Any silver bullets or big items?

Nothing earth-shattering. Some interesting thoughts  on some of the kids who left, particularly Lander and Durr. . A lot of talk about X’s development and how Woody handled him. Some good stuff on how Montverde prepared JHS and Reneau along with how the freshman are fitting in so far. And, make no mistake, Rosemond REALLY likes Banks. A lot about Woody’s expectations and the culture he’s looking for. 1 interesting nugget: Regarding the NW suspensions, Risemond said he was in no way surprised that Woody went that way. He  said the only other coach he’s worked with who would have handled it that decisively was Mark Fox. In other words, to no one’s surprise, Dana Altman , not so much.

45 minutes ago, Demo said:

Nothing earth-shattering. Some interesting thoughts  on some of the kids who left, particularly Lander and Durr. . A lot of talk about X’s development and how Woody handled him. Some good stuff on how Montverde prepared JHS and Reneau along with how the freshman are fitting in so far. And, make no mistake, Rosemond REALLY likes Banks. A lot about Woody’s expectations and the culture he’s looking for. 1 interesting nugget: Regarding the NW suspensions, Risemond said he was in no way surprised that Woody went that way. He  said the only other coach he’s worked with who would have handled it that decisively was Mark Fox. In other words, to no one’s surprise, Dana Altman , not so much.

Just listened to it.

Ya said that Reneau really knows how to play, but that Kaleb Banks can be special.

The other thing I thought was spot-on and interesting was that he said that they had a problem last year with some players that are good shooters, but had never had to make a big shot before. Ahem…Parker Stewart. 

46 minutes ago, Demo said:

Thanks. Gonna give it a listen tomorrow after some coffee lol. 

and... 

I like Banks too. He's from the dirty south not too far from me. 

Averaged a double double. I believe 20+ and 10. 

He'll need some time to improve his handle on O IIRC, but he should be able to defend 2-4 perhaps early on. 

If he can just be an effective shooter early, I like his chances of early PT are higher than folks think. 

29 minutes ago, Southside said:

Thanks. Gonna give it a listen tomorrow after some coffee lol. 

and... 

I like Banks too. He's from the dirty south not too far from me. 

Averaged a double double. I believe 20+ and 10. 

He'll need some time to improve his handle on O IIRC, but he should be able to defend 2-4 perhaps early on. 

If he can just be an effective shooter early, I like his chances of early PT are higher than folks think. 

For him to be in the rotation Miller Kopp is going to have to be buried on the bench.

7 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Just listened to it.

Ya said that Reneau really knows how to play, but that Kaleb Banks can be special.

The other thing I thought was spot-on and interesting was that he said that they had a problem last year with some players that are good shooters, but had never had to make a big shot before. Ahem…Parker Stewart. 

Also interested in his comments that some really good players wouldn’t succeed in Bloomington. Every coach says it. In this case, they appear to be married to it. Didn’t offer Isaiah Collier or Kanaan Carlyle and offered Jakai Newton but not Stephon Castle, though Castle may have already been locked in on UConn. Plus, he went out of his way to praise Gunn as an Indiana kid who understands the fishbowl there.

7 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Just listened to it.

Agreed. Stewart almost never hit a shot when it mattered, especially at the end of the year. And past the midway point, I would venture to say XJ was the better shooter percentage-wise.

21 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Basketball-wise, one of my favorite unmentioned tidbits was about Trayce. All we hear is “Trayce needs an outside shot, we need him to shoot from the perimeter.” Ya disagrees, says he just needs to do his work where he’s good. I couldn’t agree more, and get tired of people trying to put TJD on the perimeter, where he plays poorly, and take him from the inside, where he is sensational. “It will give him space to work.” Oh shut up. What we need are shooters that demand attention to keep the defense from collapsing on Trayce. 

SHOUT IT FROM THE ROOFTOPS