Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IU Basketball News and Notes

58 minutes ago, Demo said:

Same guy also has UNC with the #1 backcourt in the country (he has our backcourt 23rd). UNC is loaded with both the #1 backcourt and #1front court but I still like our chances at the Hall. I’m already jealous of those that will be at the game.

10 hours ago, Southside said:

And AZ...

3 matchups before the season starts, then 2 more teams in-season. 

Fun stuff

People hated our 300-plus ranked non-con scheduling (for good reason, imo) but the 2022 noncon schedule is frankly brutal, talk about flipping the schedule on its head -- complete polar opposite in non-con scheduling. We're going to see fairly early on if the preseason predictions are on or off. I'm both encouraged by the non-con, looking forward to the power matchups, and a little apprehensive that we've bit off more than we can chew so early on.

But -- even if the team loses more of these than we'd like, it does fit into that MSU-type scheduling that gets the team battle-tested early and from which it develops into a strong, tested team heading into conf play, and sets us up well for NCAA-selection, when there's no way the idiotic committee can downgrade IU based on SOS, like it clearly did this past season while favoring UM on its SOS while ignoring its poor overall record. Net positive.

4 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

People hated our 300-plus ranked non-con scheduling (for good reason, imo) but the 2022 noncon schedule is frankly brutal, talk about flipping the schedule on its head -- complete polar opposite in non-con scheduling. We're going to see fairly early on if the preseason predictions are on or off. I'm both encouraged by the non-con, looking forward to the power matchups, and a little apprehensive that we've bit off more than we can chew so early on.

But -- even if the team loses more of these than we'd like, it does fit into that MSU-type scheduling that gets the team battle-tested early and from which it develops into a strong, tested team heading into conf play, and sets us up well for NCAA-selection, when there's no way the idiotic committee can downgrade IU based on SOS, like it clearly did this past season while favoring UM on its SOS while ignoring its poor overall record. Net positive.

If we wanna win big in conference and the tournament losing three of those four will do no harm and will have us ready for anything.

15 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

If we wanna win big in conference and the tournament losing three of those four will do no harm and will have us ready for anything.

Personally,, I don't think we should or will lose 3 of 4. Certainly possible being at the beginning of the season, but I believe we have comparable talent (now) than the others, it just comes down to what's between the ears of our players. Confidence or hesitation.

If TJD/Race can lead the others, and the frosh who are used to winning chime in, we could be pretty good.

47 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Most of these current players don’t know what it is like to play this type of talent that will be displayed for a non conference schedule.  We will see early on how well they prepare and how mentally tough they are.  It will be fun to see and watch and win or lose, will help this team improve by year end!

1 hour ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Most of these current players don’t know what it is like to play this type of talent that will be displayed for a non conference schedule.  We will see early on how well they prepare and how mentally tough they are.  It will be fun to see and watch and win or lose, will help this team improve by year end!

Yes, though I think last season's B1G tourney and the NCAA tourney showed the team rounding into that level of form. JG and Bates' growth, along with the level of contribution of the strong incoming frosh I think will have us playing really well eventually, whether they're there this early on this season is the question mark I have, and mental toughness is part of it, but definitely agree it will help the team improve

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Yeah I hope we don't lose 3 of 4 (of course) and am looking to go at least 2-2, but agree, this level of play should only help the team in the long run

3 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Yeah I hope we don't lose 3 of 4 (of course) and am looking to go at least 2-2, but agree, this level of play should only help the team in the long run

0-4 would probably drop us out of the top 25.

1-3 puts us on the fringe.

2-2 has us 8-18 range.

3-1 get us 5-12 range

4-0 puts us in the #1 range

6 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

0-4 would probably drop us out of the top 25.

1-3 puts us on the fringe.

2-2 has us 8-18 range.

3-1 get us 5-12 range

4-0 puts us in the #1 range

Probably about right, but which games are won/lost and how matter too. If we squeak past Xavier & Arizona but get thumped by KU & UNC at home....ehhh. Whatever happens no one can complain about SOS! 

39 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Yes, though I think last season's B1G tourney and the NCAA tourney showed the team rounding into that level of form. JG and Bates' growth, along with the level of contribution of the strong incoming frosh I think will have us playing really well eventually, whether they're there this early on this season is the question mark I have, and mental toughness is part of it, but definitely agree it will help the team improve

I expect a much smoother start to the season this season. We can put a veteran team on the floor early and work the young in at their own pace. What that amounts to in terms of wins is to be determined. But we should be competitive with anyone on our schedule. The defense should be there from the start and I expect the offense to be much improved. We are on the verge of being the team we have been hoping for.

28 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Probably about right, but which games are won/lost and how matter too. If we squeak past Xavier & Arizona but get thumped by KU & UNC at home....ehhh. Whatever happens no one can complain about SOS! 

We play KU @ KU (Dec. 17). The X game also is away.

2 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I expect a much smoother start to the season this season. We can put a veteran team on the floor early and work the young in at their own pace. What that amounts to in terms of wins is to be determined. But we should be competitive with anyone on our schedule. The defense should be there from the start and I expect the offense to be much improved. We are on the verge of being the team we have been hoping for.

I agree --- but those are very, very good teams, and we'll be missing Galloway, and we'll be working in JHS and Ren, and these are early games. I am very optimistic on IU this season, but winning at KU? That's just unlikely. The other 3 are all going to be wars, I think we could go 3-0, but I'm hoping for at least 2-1 in those (and KU is a L).

50 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

I agree --- but those are very, very good teams, and we'll be missing Galloway, and we'll be working in JHS and Ren, and these are early games. I am very optimistic on IU this season, but winning at KU? That's just unlikely. The other 3 are all going to be wars, I think we could go 3-0, but I'm hoping for at least 2-1 in those (and KU is a L).

Last I saw, Galloway's recovery time was unknown but it was thought that he would be at 100% by the start of regular season practices. Did I miss an update which says he'll be out longer?

I expect the Kansas game to be a loss, too, but I think there is a chance. They'll have 3 new starters and 2 of them are expected to be freshmen. 5* freshmen but still freshmen and not top 5 type. If they take some time to adjust and the team takes time to gel, there is a chance to steal one in a place they rarely lose. A small chance, yes, but still a chance.

I think IU beats AZ and Xavier.

UNC will be a tough one. There's a chance since it's at home but they're very good on paper. They didn't have a great regular season last year so I guess we'll see if that is the real UNC or the tournament run was.