Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IU Basketball News and Notes

8 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

That was last year and doesn't have anything nto do with this year. Look how XJ and Race finished the year shooting the 3.

You say last year has nothing to do with this year and then you cite last year performance in support of your position. ??

And that from that opening tip, he was not at all nervous.
Ya: “Don’t lie to me. In your first college game y’all gonna be nervous.”
vs.
Woody: “Well again, I can’t have my freshmen being nervous. Son, we need you right away.”
I’m with Woody..

I think that exchange was Ya trying to lighten the mood.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

We're No 2! 

Not really understanding Auburn at No. 5. Guess that's a healthy dose of recency bias. 

Definitely some recency bias. But, credit where it’s due, when UK or Bama or some other rival comes into that little gym of theirs, that place is freaking thunderdome.

From Nathan Grubel at No Ceilings.

How much can Jalen Hood-Schifino handle offensively?

If you’re a follower of No Ceilings, you’re probably sick and tired of hearing and reading our thoughts on Indiana’s top prospect Jalen Hood-Schifino.

Well guess what: get used to it!

We’re all excited about this young man as he has the chance to be the star of the Big Ten, and it looks as though he may have more help on his team than I initially thought, given intel coming out of practices and scrimmages.

Fellow freshman Malik Reneau is getting rave reviews out of exhibitions and early time as a power forward who can handle a little bit and pass for others, as well as establish himself on the block and hit some fallaway shots. As for the rest of the load on the inside, Trayce Jackson-Davis is back to man the middle and possibly continue extending his outside jumper out to the foul line.

Tamar Bates is another guard to keep an eye on, but with some of the other upperclassmen in the mix, Hood-Schifino may not have conventional spacing to work with as a 6’6” primary ball handler, but he has weapons to play off in Indiana.

Two of the biggest things that stood out to me regarding my preseason film study were his pick-and-roll poise and his tough shot-making just inside the arc.

If the Hoosiers can’t space effectively for Hood-Schifino to run any sort of spread pick-and-roll action, they’ll have to get a little more creative in working him off DHOs up top to get him moving downhill toward the basket where he can do some damage.

When he does decide to pull up, defenders will play him tight off that rub, so he won’t have a lot of room to operate with when he does pull up. If Hood-Schifino can nail those difficult jumpers with limited space, that will only continue to build his confidence moving forward.

And one of the biggest things everyone is watching for early on, when he does get those screens and the defense goes under, can he knock down the open three and force defenses to come up to him?

In different exhibition events and all-star games last spring, I saw Hood-Schifino nail pull-up threes with confidence at good volume for someone who wasn’t known to live outside the arc. The more he can do that for Indiana, the better they’ll be as a team.

And don’t forget, having a tall guard who can see over defenders and find the correct windows and angles to throw entry passes into Reneau and Davis when they establish their position on the low block is also key. I can’t count how many times I’ve watched guards in college who can’t execute the entry pass. Those concerns are nonexistent with Hood-Schifino, so I’m confident he’ll get his guys the ball where they need it to succeed.

There aren’t any major games for Indiana in the first week, so consider that a good chance for Hood-Schifino to continue working with his guys and figuring out what works best for them. The more they can click as a unit on both ends, the more I know we’ll see the other parts of JHS’s game that always pop on the tape. His transition flair, high motor, and defensive impact are just what the doctor ordered alongside Bates. Consider me incredibly excited to soak in Hoosiers basketball this year.

23 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

We're No 2! 

Not really understanding Auburn at No. 5. Guess that's a healthy dose of recency bias. 

I'm extremely biased living in Kentuckiana but I think IU and UK have two of the best, most passionate fan bases out there. We just aren't as crazy as them :) 

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

From Nathan Grubel at No Ceilings.

How much can Jalen Hood-Schifino handle offensively?

If you’re a follower of No Ceilings, you’re probably sick and tired of hearing and reading our thoughts on Indiana’s top prospect Jalen Hood-Schifino.

Well guess what: get used to it!

We’re all excited about this young man as he has the chance to be the star of the Big Ten, and it looks as though he may have more help on his team than I initially thought, given intel coming out of practices and scrimmages.

Fellow freshman Malik Reneau is getting rave reviews out of exhibitions and early time as a power forward who can handle a little bit and pass for others, as well as establish himself on the block and hit some fallaway shots. As for the rest of the load on the inside, Trayce Jackson-Davis is back to man the middle and possibly continue extending his outside jumper out to the foul line.

Tamar Bates is another guard to keep an eye on, but with some of the other upperclassmen in the mix, Hood-Schifino may not have conventional spacing to work with as a 6’6” primary ball handler, but he has weapons to play off in Indiana.

Two of the biggest things that stood out to me regarding my preseason film study were his pick-and-roll poise and his tough shot-making just inside the arc.

If the Hoosiers can’t space effectively for Hood-Schifino to run any sort of spread pick-and-roll action, they’ll have to get a little more creative in working him off DHOs up top to get him moving downhill toward the basket where he can do some damage.

When he does decide to pull up, defenders will play him tight off that rub, so he won’t have a lot of room to operate with when he does pull up. If Hood-Schifino can nail those difficult jumpers with limited space, that will only continue to build his confidence moving forward.

And one of the biggest things everyone is watching for early on, when he does get those screens and the defense goes under, can he knock down the open three and force defenses to come up to him?

In different exhibition events and all-star games last spring, I saw Hood-Schifino nail pull-up threes with confidence at good volume for someone who wasn’t known to live outside the arc. The more he can do that for Indiana, the better they’ll be as a team.

And don’t forget, having a tall guard who can see over defenders and find the correct windows and angles to throw entry passes into Reneau and Davis when they establish their position on the low block is also key. I can’t count how many times I’ve watched guards in college who can’t execute the entry pass. Those concerns are nonexistent with Hood-Schifino, so I’m confident he’ll get his guys the ball where they need it to succeed.

There aren’t any major games for Indiana in the first week, so consider that a good chance for Hood-Schifino to continue working with his guys and figuring out what works best for them. The more they can click as a unit on both ends, the more I know we’ll see the other parts of JHS’s game that always pop on the tape. His transition flair, high motor, and defensive impact are just what the doctor ordered alongside Bates. Consider me incredibly excited to soak in Hoosiers basketball this year.

As if X isn't anywhere around?