Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IU Basketball News and Notes

1 hour ago, cthomas said:

He's probably the player I'm most looking forward to seeing play. If Banks can get in the rotation, there's a good chance we are really good.

I tend to think we're going to be really good whether or not he's in the rotation -- and we could have that shooting etc. from others -- but if with his athleticism and shooting ability he carves out some minutes, that will say a lot for him and his ability. 

15 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

I tend to think we're going to be really good whether or not he's in the rotation -- and we could have that shooting etc. from others -- but if with his athleticism and shooting ability he carves out some minutes, that will say a lot for him and his ability. 

I agree he's probably in the rotation in the first two exhibition games and first two regular season games but after that I doubt it. I think were playing ten guys.

1st team X, JHS, MK, Race and TJD

2nd team Trey, Scoop, JG, MR, LD.

Everyone else fighting for scraps. 

3 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I agree he's probably in the rotation in the first two exhibition games and first two regular season games but after that I doubt it. I think were playing ten guys.

Yeah I think that's probably right. I continue to hope to see Bates work his way into that starting lineup, as much as coach favors experience, and while Kopp remains probably the best outside shooter on set shots, Bates brings so much potential as a 3-level scorer and his outside shot has been looking like it's falling into shape -- his D is going to determine that, I imagine. Then there's JG and Ren both of whom bring the ability to dominate the glass and add much more athleticism and speed to the lineups. Going to be fun watching this play out.

54 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I'm still doing my best to manage expectations. But right here is where it's really hard to do so. Any season of the past decade (or longer?) if we'd have been looking forward to a starting lineup of Trey, Scoop, JG, MR, and LD, we'd rightfully be analyzing something like this: we've got two 5-stars (I know Scoop was borderline, but still), a scrappy, high energy upperclassman who will make a great floor leader in Trey, another upperclassman destined for a breakout season in JG, and guy who put in the time in the weight room and sounds like he's being more assertive in practice in LD. We'd be talking about our chances to make the tournament and all that. Fair. Yet that's projected to be our 2nd team.

Ok, back to aggressively suppressing expectations. 

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

Seeing Banks with that red jersey doesn’t make me think he’s gonna start, but it definitely makes me think he’s gonna play.

33 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

This says so much about the coach, who was able to see the potential and needs of the team and relay that to his players…but it says even more about the player who was able to see the bigger picture and selflessly do what the coach needed from him in order to impact the team and program.

Good stuff, and as always, thanks for sharing OF. 

Purely fwiw, Fino made Sam Vecenie's mock draft today. Here's his writeup:

***he also has TJD going 51.

30. Indiana Pacers (via BOS)

Jalen Hood-Schifino | 6-5 wing | 19 years old | Indiana

This pick ends up with Indiana following the Malcolm Brogdon trade last summer. Maybe this is a bit of a surprise, but Jalen Hood-Schifino has really impressed scouts who have been through Bloomington so far. He looks strong physically and ready to play from the jump due to his overall polish level. He is a great driver and a terrific midrange shooter who should at some point be able to stretch it out beyond the 3-point line. He’s also a very good defender and can make passing reads. All around, Hood-Schifino looks like he could be one of the yearly players who rise from outside of the top 20 of the recruiting rankings into the one-and-done ranks as Indiana competes at the top of the Big Ten.

5 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

Purely fwiw, Fino made Sam Vecenie's mock draft today. Here's his writeup:

***he also has TJD going 51.

30. Indiana Pacers (via BOS)

Jalen Hood-Schifino | 6-5 wing | 19 years old | Indiana

This pick ends up with Indiana following the Malcolm Brogdon trade last summer. Maybe this is a bit of a surprise, but Jalen Hood-Schifino has really impressed scouts who have been through Bloomington so far. He looks strong physically and ready to play from the jump due to his overall polish level. He is a great driver and a terrific midrange shooter who should at some point be able to stretch it out beyond the 3-point line. He’s also a very good defender and can make passing reads. All around, Hood-Schifino looks like he could be one of the yearly players who rise from outside of the top 20 of the recruiting rankings into the one-and-done ranks as Indiana competes at the top of the Big Ten.

If JHS is going 30 we are in for a very good year. 

If TJD really is still a second rounder maybe my dream of having him for 5 years can happen and he can set all the records. 

On 8/25/2022 at 12:41 PM, HoosierHoopster said:

This is about what I expected for Ren early on, it's going to take him some time like virtually any incoming frosh frontcourt player to acclimate on the defensive end to the speed of the college game, to the sets and concepts / schemes IU / Woodson run, and to the conditioning college ball requires. I'm sure he'll get there, but the idea he would just come in and immediately play major starter minutes was a bit over the top imo.

Watching Reneau again today, I still disagree. There's nothing over the top about the idea that he's ready to play starter minutes. What minutes he actually does play given the presence of Trace and Race will be interesting to see. 

30 minutes ago, DougWil said:

Watching Reneau again today, I still disagree. There's nothing over the top about the idea that he's ready to play starter minutes. What minutes he actually does play given the presence of Trace and Race will be interesting to see. 

Definitely going to be interesting -- and fun. Boatloads of offensive talent, excellent footwork and positioning. But this is a cake walk game, remember how good Bates looked last year pre-season. Ren's conditioning looked a bit off to me, and hard to get a feel for how he'll play against B1G level bigs, but no question he''s really good. Looking forward to watching him continue to grow his impact.