Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IU Basketball News and Notes

48 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

His comments are yet more evidence that JHS will start.

I think Woodys comment in regards to trying him with the first and second team was partially intended to make it clear nothing is given to anyone but…he will start.

I think Woody is working out sub patterns that would include JHS as the primary facilitator with the 2nd unit. Very much an NBA mindset. Could see him start each half, be the first sub out at the U16, and then see him sub back in for X at the U12 with  the 2nd unit. 

10 minutes ago, Demo said:

I think Woody is working out sub patterns that would include JHS as the primary facilitator with the 2nd unit. Very much an NBA mindset. Could see him start each half, be the first sub out at the U16, and then see him sub back in for X at the U12 with  the 2nd unit. 

And if X or JHS gets in early foul trouble, Gallo has been regularly handling the point for the white team in practice and would be the choice. 

Ahhhhh...the beauty of having depth.

13 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

And if X or JHS gets in early foul trouble, Gallo has been regularly handling the point for the white team in practice and would be the choice. 

Ahhhhh...the beauty of having depth.

Hysterics new podcast is with Tamar and he says he has been playing the 1 in practice as well 

1 hour ago, Demo said:

We will see.

My money is on him starting but it wouldn’t be shocking if Bates started and JHS led the second unit and/or blended in with some of the first team guys. I still think he starts but we will find out soon enough.

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

Hysterics new podcast is with Tamar and he says he has been playing the 1 in practice as well 

This certainly makes sense but as a playmaker for others, Scoop showed almost nothing last year; his assist rate was under 8, which is Kopp/Geronimo territory. By contrast Phinisee and Galloway were more than double that, and X was at a whopping 36%.

25 minutes ago, lillurk said:

This certainly makes sense but as a playmaker for others, Scoop showed almost nothing last year; his assist rate was under 8, which is Kopp/Geronimo territory. By contrast Phinisee and Galloway were more than double that, and X was at a whopping 36%.

Yeah, Galloway was 3rd in assists. He's not a point but he's certainly shown much more of role in implementing offense on ball than Bates. That said, I can certainly see Bates playing on ball at times as we're going to be starting X and JHS (by all accounts), and having Bates come in on ball is backup point play that we otherwise lack -- and would make sense to me to see Bates and Galloway together in the backcourt. 

On 10/18/2022 at 8:50 AM, Stuhoo said:

Big Ten Network analyst Tre Demps has been visiting team practices across the conference. Here’s his quick take on IU:

Good video. My bold prediction (not so bold): Nothing against Miller but I think someone takes his starting spot by the end of the year. Not because of Miller's play but because someone is going to breakout and just demand more playing time. We will see. Tamar is my guess based on what I've read. 

26 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Good video. My bold prediction (not so bold): Nothing against Miller but I think someone takes his starting spot by the end of the year. Not because of Miller's play but because someone is going to breakout and just demand more playing time. We will see. Tamar is my guess based on what I've read. 

Interesting take on the team having a long way to go based on his watching the practices, juxtapositioned against his earlier comment that the inter-squad competition is excellent with starting B1G level players coming off the bench (Bates, Galloway and JG) and referencing Ren as an elite big. Sounds like he sees boatloads of talent but a work in progress and I think he's talking about the O. 

I've said it before but I like your prediction -- it's not bashing Kopp, he's a solid vet who has the ability to shoot well from deep, when he is actually taking the shots, but so far he hasn't scored well, he hasn't been taking many shots, the offense has been geared to pound it inside, and with what sounds like Bates' growth, I think it comes down to whether he and JG are strong enough defensively to take over more of that role -- Galloway maybe, but that would require him to make a monumental leap in his outside shooting.

3 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Tamar has to become a more aware defender or he’ll never have the role he could otherwise merit.

I'm optimistic about Bates making the largest year over year jump. He shot over 40% from 3 his two years at IMG and had a busy freshman year acclimating to fatherhood.

TJD quote tweeting Bates as a breakout along with Woodson answering Bates as the most likely breakout guy at media day gives me hope he can be pivotal in filling the perimeter shot making role IU needs.

3 hours ago, vemmeistars said:

I'm optimistic about Bates making the largest year over year jump. He shot over 40% from 3 his two years at IMG and had a busy freshman year acclimating to fatherhood.

TJD quote tweeting Bates as a breakout along with Woodson answering Bates as the most likely breakout guy at media day gives me hope he can be pivotal in filling the perimeter shot making role IU needs.

Not going to lie this is why I think it will be him. For Trayce to say that...he sees this every day. I think by seasons end Tamar will be starting. In fact, it's possible he will be the best player on this team next year. 

12 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Not going to lie this is why I think it will be him. For Trayce to say that...he sees this every day. I think by seasons end Tamar will be starting. In fact, it's possible he will be the best player on this team next year. 

Better than the All-American/All-B1G center and the PG the pro scouts think might be one and done? That would be a great thing for this team if that's how it turns out 

2 hours ago, go iu bb said:

Better than the All-American/All-B1G center and the PG the pro scouts think might be one and done? That would be a great thing for this team if that's how it turns out 

No, Tamar won't be this year. For 23-24 I think he could. Part of me hopes Jalen is a one and done...I think that could take IU from a 2nd weekend team to a legit final four contender. 

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/big-ten-analyst-watched-iu-basketball-practice-this-team-essentially-has-two-starting-fives/

Nice interview from Mike with Tre Demps. Nothing particularly eye-catching, but it’s always cool to get perspective from someone who’s actually seen this team up close and knows what they’re watching.