Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IU Basketball News and Notes

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:
  1. Woody seems to be extremely reticent to change his starting lineup. Even when he couldn't hit the broadside of a barn toward the end of last year Parker Stewart remained in the starting lineup.
  2. I'm just as interested, or more interested in who finishes games as who starts them.
  3. I like Kopp a lot better with JHS in the starting lineup. With two guards on the floor that can break down the defense and draw a defensive rotation, Kopp, who is arguably our best open shooter, should get more and better looks. Last year with Parker and Kopp in the lineup together, we were stagnant and only had X to initiate.
  4. If Bates was in with the starters instead of Kopp our second unit would be really light on a guy who can initiate offense. If all goes well, I would expect Bates or Geronimo to finish games and get as many minutes as Kopp, or maybe more minutes.

Part 1 really bothered me.  Maybe we didn’t have better options. I guess we didn’t.  But Kopp and Parker together was rough on offense.  That’s why we played better with Galloway even though he can’t shoot. At least he provided movement on and off the ball.  Parker’s inability to drive the ball or even move anywhere on offense was a killer.  But Woody didn’t do much about that.  Frustrating. 

Now, the 1st unit, 2nd unit thing bothered me equally.  You have to mix and match based on EVERYTHING. Matchups, who is hot/cold, fouls, etc.  sometimes certain players might excel with starters or unlock a chemistry we never got a chance to really search for.  I pray he changes his subbing tactics. 

If you listened to Kopp's zoom with the media yesterday, I think you would be optimistic about his usage/role. He stated that his job is to defend, rebound, and knock down open shots. I'm hoping he shoots closer to 40% than 35% from 3 this year, but doesn't average more than 20 minutes a game.

Thought experiment?  I don’t think Woody gets the credit he might deserve from college heads. Maybe he gets what he deserves.  But anyhow. 

imagine our roster with Izzo or Painter, do you think the preseason pub would be even greater?

I ask because I hear a lot of top 15 ceiling talk which is great and probably appropriate against a lot of stacked teams, but I also think this roster with a revered college coach would be top rung in the preseason discussion.  Thoughts?

Edited by WayneFleekHoosier

5 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Thought experiment?  I don’t think Woody gets the credit he might deserve from college heads. Maybe he gets what he deserves.  But anyhow. 

imagine our roster with Izzo or Painter, do you think the preseason pub would be even greater?

I ask because I hear a lot of top 15 ceiling talk which is great and probably appropriate against a lot of stacked teams, but I also think this roster with a revered college coach would be top rung in the preseason discussion.  Thoughts?

He's an unproven college coach and our program has been down for so many years so yes, I would agree perception is playing a part.  Just like X getting snubbed by the B1G.  Perception can be very hard to overcome.

13 minutes ago, vemmeistars said:

If you listened to Kopp's zoom with the media yesterday, I think you would be optimistic about his usage/role. He stated that his job is to defend, rebound, and knock down open shots. I'm hoping he shoots closer to 40% than 35% from 3 this, but doesn't average more than 20 minutes a game.

It's good except the rebounding part, he does not rebound well at all. I've said I think he'll be better with JHS and X in the backcourt so he'll get those open looks, the question though then is whether he'll take them. It wasn't so much his shooting last season as his LACK of shooting. Sure, he brings some weak side D (though his lateral movement isn't great) and he does communicate well, but his primary role out there should be drilling open shots, it's most definitely not rebounding. I'd also bet on his minutes averaging significantly less than 20. Bates is going to get a lot of minutes, along with JG (more so in the frontcourt).

1 hour ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Bates is going to get a lot of minutes, along with JG (more so in the frontcourt).

If Bates is the most improved player, as has been stated by the coach and some players, he will definitely see a lot of time on the court. Geronimo has already proven he can score and rebound. Woodson seems to have a lot of confidence in Miller Kopp which is why he is slated as a starter. One has to assume he has been told he needs to shoot more and do more to get open shots. He started out last season well (28 points in one game). Hopefully that is the player we will see this season.

It's good except the rebounding part, he does not rebound well at all. I've said I think he'll be better with JHS and X in the backcourt so he'll get those open looks, the question though then is whether he'll take them. It wasn't so much his shooting last season as his LACK of shooting. Sure, he brings some weak side D (though his lateral movement isn't great) and he does communicate well, but his primary role out there should be drilling open shots, it's most definitely not rebounding. I'd also bet on his minutes averaging significantly less than 20. Bates is going to get a lot of minutes, along with JG (more so in the frontcourt).

Hopefully X and JHS keep their man in front of them too. Kopp over helping on defense is a recipe for WIDE OPEN shots by opponents.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Didn't say the best player on the team but best pro prospect 

Yeah Trayce will likely be our best player this season but he isn’t our best pro prospect. He’s 23 years old and lacks the perimeter game he probably needs to succeed in the pros at his size. 

JHS is the reason the scouts came to the pro day, so it’s not at all surprising that they view him as the best pro prospect. 

21 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Well ****; sometimes we need to read the tea leaves and sometimes the tea leaves are spelled out into the clearest of clear conclusions.

In a full-on Bobby Knight repeat, IUBB released a practice video today in which there were exactly five players wearing red jerseys. And in a full-on Bobby Knight repeat, those five are your current IUBB starting lineup. They are: 

Trayce Jackson Davis 

Race Thompson 

Miller Kopp 

Jalen Hood Schifino, and

Xavier Johnson 

Other things to note;

Nice right hand finish + flex by TJD over Logan

A little glimpse of a much better form jumper by Gallo.

Yay!  This is what I was expecting and hoping for.

Early season starters aren't that big of deal to me.  I'm more interested in the starters over the last 1/3 of the season.
If last year is any indication it will be the same throughout.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

On 10/6/2022 at 8:07 PM, Stuhoo said:

Well ****; sometimes we need to read the tea leaves and sometimes the tea leaves are spelled out into the clearest of clear conclusions.

In a full-on Bobby Knight repeat, IUBB released a practice video today in which there were exactly five players wearing red jerseys. And in a full-on Bobby Knight repeat, those five are your current IUBB starting lineup. They are: 

Trayce Jackson Davis 

Race Thompson 

Miller Kopp 

Jalen Hood Schifino, and

Xavier Johnson 

Other things to note;

Nice right hand finish + flex by TJD over Logan

A little glimpse of a much better form jumper by Gallo.

This probably came up in the hysteria thread but the starters were also the starters Friday night.

I think this makes sense — Kopp fits with the starters as a catch-and-shoot guy who plays good team defense. On a second unit his limitations would be more glaring. Sometimes fit matters more than strictly five best, and other guys might close.