Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IU Basketball News and Notes

8 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

That’s why I really disagree with the downplaying of Calipari’s results. Would I be upset if we had his classes but got his results? Sure, maybe. It’s an impossible question for me to answer because I root for a team that hasn’t made it past the sweet 16 since I was in the first grade. He’s made 7 elite eights and 4 final fours at UK. How many schools have had better results over that span? 

lol it could easily be argued that the last decade of UK basketball has been as good or better than any decade of IU basketball except for maybe the 80s. Sucks but true

Not jealous of them because I hate UK, but not gonna deny their success. 

6 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

lol it could easily be argued that the last decade of UK basketball has been as good or better than any decade of IU basketball except for maybe the 80s. Sucks but true

Not jealous of them because I hate UK, but not gonna deny their success. 

Honestly it’s hard for me not to be jealous of their success. Calipari’s been there for 13 years (12 if you take out 2020 when the tournament was canceled). During that span he’s made 7 of 12 elite 8s. We’ve made 5 of 12 tournaments. I can’t even imagine rooting for a team that’s playing for a final four berth in March over 50% of the time. 

40 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Honestly it’s hard for me not to be jealous of their success. Calipari’s been there for 13 years (12 if you take out 2020 when the tournament was canceled). During that span he’s made 7 of 12 elite 8s. We’ve made 5 of 12 tournaments. I can’t even imagine rooting for a team that’s playing for a final four berth in March over 50% of the time. 

And then wanting him fired, as most of BBN does. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I was born in 1970 and in my first 23 years IU went to the final 4 in 73, 76, 81, 87, 92

Went to the elite 8 in 75 which should been another final 4 and national champion. 84,93

Won the NIT in 79 and back then the NIT was a big deal.

Lost in sweet 16 in 78, 80,83,89,91

I did this off the top of my head but thinks it is pretty accurate. So that is 13 out of 24 years at least making the sweet 16

27 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I was born in 1970 and in my first 23 years IU went to the final 4 in 73, 76, 81, 87, 92

Went to the elite 8 in 75 which should been another final 4 and national champion. 84,93

Won the NIT in 79 and back then the NIT was a big deal.

Lost in sweet 16 in 80,82,91

I did this off the top of my head but thinks it is pretty accurate. So that is 11 out of 24 years at least making the sweet 16

I would love to have had that kind of IU fandom experience. Unfortunately, we’ve only made 4 sweet 16s and 1 elite 8 during my lifetime. The post-Knight years have not been ideal. What frustrates me is that I see little reason why we can’t have UK-type results here.

We have the history, we have the fanbase, we just don’t get the results. I’m not sure we ever will be more than a ‘once was.’ A lot of people have high hopes for this season, but idk. I have a lot of concerns. We’ll need JHS and Malik to really step it up this year, imo. 

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I would love to have had that kind of IU fandom experience. Unfortunately, we’ve only made 4 sweet 16s and 1 elite 8 during my lifetime. The post-Knight years have not been ideal. What frustrates me is that I see little reason why we can’t have UK-type results here.

We have the history, we have the fanbase, we just don’t get the results. I’m not sure we ever will be more than a ‘once was.’ A lot of people have high hopes for this season, but idk. I have a lot of concerns. We’ll need JHS and Malik to really step it up this year, imo. 

Actually I was off on this post and changed it because I forgot about sweet 16's in 78, 83 and 89 was wrong about 82 so it was 13 out of 23 years of making at least the sweet 16.  It was nice going into every game this king you will win every game.  There were no games during that time that I thought we had no shot of winning.

8 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

UK would never nuke its program like we did after Sampson, nor would they ever take pride in being as terrible as we were in the aftermath. I think that's when we officially turned in our blueblood card. 

4 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

UK would never nuke its program like we did after Sampson, nor would they ever take pride in being as terrible as we were in the aftermath. I think that's when we officially turned in our blueblood card. 

We are a blue blood but not elite. To me blue blood means the history of the program. Elite to me where you are currently. 

I also don't ever want to have UK history because they have had more major violations than any program

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

The bolded was physically painful to read.  pUKe playing for a Final Four more than we've even made a 64-68 team field....

5 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

We might be the only ones that give a crap about being "clean" (not that anyone really is).

IU: We care about the rules

NCAA: We literally made the rules and even we don't care

I was very proud and many other fans were as well that we won without cheating.  We looked down on UK because they had to cheat to win

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I was very proud and many other fans were as well that we won without cheating.  We looked down on UK because they had to cheat to win

Even at IU's peak I wouldn't be surprised if we waded into the gray area.

When the agency that creates the rules and is entrusted to enforce them doesn't even care, then the rules aren't worth the paper they're written on.

17 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

We might be the only ones that give a crap about being "clean" (not that anyone really is).

IU: We care about the rules

NCAA: We literally made the rules and even we don't care

They literally don’t care.  It’s all an act. The real insiders have known what’s been going on forever.  For Indiana fans it’s just a convenient excuse because nobody really knows anyway.  Most fans were blind to the money recruiting even 3-4 years ago.  I’ve had countless discussion on this board trying to explain the dark underbelly of recruiting.  FBI scandal opened many eyes. NIL I think opened even more eyes. 

programs that pay to win and really want to win usually do pretty well.  

I have withheld saying so but I too have many concerns and less optimism than most in regards to this season. I think the potential is there and I like the new additions in theory. I also am curious how we make a massive leap from fringe tourney team to winning B1G when we will still likely struggle at the things we struggled at last year. I get that JHS and Malik are huge talents but too often we get hope from new pieces only to have those hopes fall short of reality.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

I have withheld saying so but I too have many concerns and less optimism than most in regards to this season. I think the potential is there and I like the new additions in theory. I also am curious how we make a massive leap from fringe tourney team to winning B1G when we will still likely struggle at the things we struggled at last year. I get that JHS and Malik are huge talents but too often we get hope from new pieces only to have those hopes fall short of reality.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

not me I think this team will win the big ten. I think we will see improvements from guys like Bates and Geronimo and think three of the freshman will be key contributors.  I also think with how well Johnson played at the end of the year we will see even better for the whole year.

Also with how much the rest of the conference lost and how much experience we got coming back is another reason for me being optimistic. 

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Also with how much the rest of the conference lost and how much experience we got coming back is another reason for me being optimistic. 

I don't know that I would even call it optimism. If IU doesn't improve one iota from last year, then they'd still have a good chance to run roughshod over most of the rest of the Big 10. That's how much the Big lost from last year. How plausible is that IU doesn't improve at least slightly? That the returning players aren't better in year two of the new system? That none of the new players contribute anything? 

5 minutes ago, hoosierbgh said:

I don't know that I would even call it optimism. If IU doesn't improve one iota from last year, then they'd still have a good chance to run roughshod over most of the rest of the Big 10. That's how much the Big lost from last year. How plausible is that IU doesn't improve at least slightly? That the returning players aren't better in year two of the new system? That none of the new players contribute anything? 

Did you not read the rest of the post on why I think this team will be better and win the conference. I see no reason to start the season looking at things as cup is half empty instead of half full.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Did you not read the rest of the post on why I think this team will be better and win the conference. I see no reason to start the season looking at things as cup is half empty instead of half full.

Yes, I thought you covered the first part very well. I wasn't disagreeing with the part I quoted, just expanding on it. 

7 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

They literally don’t care.  It’s all an act. The real insiders have known what’s been going on forever.  For Indiana fans it’s just a convenient excuse because nobody really knows anyway.  Most fans were blind to the money recruiting even 3-4 years ago.  I’ve had countless discussion on this board trying to explain the dark underbelly of recruiting.  FBI scandal opened many eyes. NIL I think opened even more eyes. 

programs that pay to win and really want to win usually do pretty well.  

And as I said, if the agency that creates and is supposed to enforce the rules doesn't care, then those so called "rules" are meaningless.  So getting in the muck is just playing by what's actually established.

Now I can't resist..

Louisville: Rules? I thought she went by Chastity?