Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IU Basketball News and Notes

Looks like CMW’s run on getting key recruits is starting to run dry! He’s struck out la lately on several key recruits
Admittedly disappointed with the summer recruiting results. Luckily, unlike in previous years, the transfer portal is going to allow us to recruit immediate impact players. Our staff still has plenty of time. Let's see how we end this. The recruiting class of 2023 is to be determined.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

On 8/9/2022 at 6:32 PM, IGotMeAWoody said:

Admittedly disappointed with the summer recruiting results. Luckily, unlike in previous years, the transfer portal is going to allow us to recruit immediate impact players. Our staff still has plenty of time. Let's see how we end this. The recruiting class of 2023 is to be determined.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, our portal recruiting will suffer with same issues as the college recruiting. We just aren't that big draw we used to be. Man, I hope I have to eat these words.

5 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Portal recruiting comes down to playing time available in most cases.   IU had none to offer last cycle which is why they couldn’t get any transfers to come last year.   Next year should be the year that they can attract some top ranked portal guys.  Winning programs his year + available playing time = portal recruiting success 

unless you are purdue

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

Portal recruiting comes down to playing time available in most cases.   IU had none to offer last cycle which is why they couldn’t get any transfers to come last year.   Next year should be the year that they can attract some top ranked portal guys.  Winning programs his year + available playing time = portal recruiting success 

Unless we get guys like Queen and Page and Reneau stays. Then we won't get and won't need portal help.

My litmus test? When we start looking at and offering 'Plan C' recruits or portal players. When Archie couldn't get any needed additions in 2021, or when Crean settled for Gelon, Priller, April, Hoetzel that was a red flag that I didn't pay enough attention to when it happened. Now I am clear that its a sign that we aren't recruiting well.

I know many are big fans of Painter (and I also think he's a quality person and coach) but him taking Waddell, Smith, Berg, and especially Jenkins from the portal, would be a recruiting red flag if that happened at IU. That's four of the 12 scholly players on their current roster that are arguably 'Plan C' guys.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Unless we get guys like Queen and Page and Reneau stays. Then we won't get and won't need portal help.

My litmus test? When we start looking at and offering 'Plan C' recruits or portal players. When Archie couldn't get any needed additions in 2021, or when Crean settled for Gelon, Priller, April, Hoetzel that was a red flag that I didn't pay enough attention to when it happened. Now I am clear that its a sign that we aren't recruiting well.

I know many are big fans of Painter (and I also think he's a quality person and coach) but him taking Waddell, Smith, and especially Jenkins from the portal, would be a recruiting red flag if that happened at IU.

Agreed.  I was adamant about the Gelon, Hoetzel recruitments.  Very few could be convinced. It was bonkers watching it in real time.  I’m not a paid employee but even I knew Sasha Stefanovich was a better player than Gelon from the same school. Bonkers.  Crean didn’t even watch live game action for Hoetzel.  The plan C crap with Crean was the best he could do at times.   Granted, some coaches can make it work better than Crean and might have a better eye for their system.  Idk.  Lucky for Us, transfer portal is a legitimate option and could be some teams 1st tier option. Now, we know this is not Woodson’s preferred method, although that could shift as he learns on the job, so it indicates it’s not his preferred mode, which indicates a plan B of sorts.  But it can certainly be a better method if done correctly. As far as Painter, MAYBE.  We will see.  Guy has a system and it works more often than it doesn’t. Butler with the right coaches have won with like-talent. Plus, Painter has rarely relied on ready NBA talent, high ranking guys.  So him getting unheralded HS players isn’t a red flag, BUT them striking out in the transfer portal the way they did with premium playing time available WAS a red flag regarding transfer portal cache for Purdue.  

Edited by WayneFleekHoosier

21 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Am I allowed to say “not a fan”?  Although, for the financial investment it’s clearly not surprising.

I don’t love it either, but I’m sure I’ll get used to it just like I did the B1G logos showing up in the lane about 10 years ago. 

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Am I allowed to say “not a fan”?  Although, for the financial investment it’s clearly not surprising.

I definitely prefer the "pure & clean" look, but they (she) contributed a buttload o' cash.  I'm more offended by the prominant, obnoxious b10 logo, personally.

Not a fan. They should put Branch McCracken on the court itself, since it's actually called the Branch McCracken Court lol...

Happy and all she gave 40M for the renovation... But I'd have preferred they simply built a new arena. After all the commercialization, never felt the same anyway.

40 minutes ago, Southside said:

Not a fan. They should put Branch McCracken on the court itself, since it's actually called the Branch McCracken Court lol...

Happy and all she gave 40M for the renovation... But I'd have preferred they simply built a new arena. After all the commercialization, never felt the same anyway.

Some things are earned, some things are bought.

11 minutes ago, cthomas said:

Some things are earned, some things are bought.

Yup. And... Some earn it, and also bring the $$. And still don't get the recognition. 

Knight raised 5+M for the IU library, donated plenty of his own personal $, and endowed 2 chairs (law and history). IU didn't do much to recognize him. He went to TXTech, donated to their library, far less than what he did at IU, and got recognized more lol. 

8 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Agreed.  I was adamant about the Gelon, Hoetzel recruitments.  Very few could be convinced. It was bonkers watching it in real time.  I’m not a paid employee but even I knew Sasha Stefanovich was a better player than Gelon from the same school. Bonkers.  Crean didn’t even watch live game action for Hoetzel.  The plan C crap with Crean was the best he could do at times.   Granted, some coaches can make it work better than Crean and might have a better eye for their system.  Idk.  Lucky for Us, transfer portal is a legitimate option and could be some teams 1st tier option. Now, we know this is not Woodson’s preferred method, although that could shift as he learns on the job, so it indicates it’s not his preferred mode, which indicates a plan B of sorts.  But it can certainly be a better method if done correctly. As far as Painter, MAYBE.  We will see.  Guy has a system and it works more often than it doesn’t. Butler with the right coaches have won with like-talent. Plus, Painter has rarely relied on ready NBA talent, high ranking guys.  So him getting unheralded HS players isn’t a red flag, BUT them striking out in the transfer portal the way they did with premium playing time available WAS a red flag regarding transfer portal cache for Purdue.  

We are kind of at that stage where on court performances will dictate the momentum of our recruiting. Arch had an ok start but could not prove it on the court. wheels fell off quickly 

Crean had an ok start, might have been a really good start had Mo not gotten hurt.  Got recruits, had success, got the movement, could not maintain success.  Wheels fell off 

woody has had a very good start but thus year we have to take a leap AND we need hopefully for some of the young guys to be the clear next wave of success. But we have to start showing what kind of program we are. 

10 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

I get all that, I'm just afraid we'll be fighting for options in the portal that weren't our 1st. Hope I'm wrong.

Have there been any reports on how Tamar Bates looks in practices this summer?  I feel like his development will play a big part of how successful we can be this year