Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IU Basketball News and Notes

16 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

Wayne, Carroll, and North Side have been decent at times the past 10 seasons. Problem with high school (like college) these days is kids can pick their schools. So it's hard to keep teams together. FW area has always been an up and down. IU has never recruited that area well for whatever reason. PU and Painter have. 

I certainly agree with those who think IU should spend more time in Fort Wayne, but it’s mainly because everything goes in cycles.  Right now, they’re not going to get the return on their investment.  The coaching on the boys side right now in FW is subpar, in my opinion, and the talent we’re producing reflects that.  Many of the top basketball players here are going to college on football scholarships, and the rest are going to smaller schools.  Yes, we produce a good one every once in a while, but nowhere near the way we should given the population.  But mainly IU needs to be up here so as to not miss out on kids 3, 5, and 10 from now in case boys BB bounces back.

18 minutes ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

I certainly agree with those who think IU should spend more time in Fort Wayne, but it’s mainly because everything goes in cycles.  Right now, they’re not going to get the return on their investment.  The coaching on the boys side right now in FW is subpar, in my opinion, and the talent we’re producing reflects that.  Many of the top basketball players here are going to college on football scholarships, and the rest are going to smaller schools.  Yes, we produce a good one every once in a while, but nowhere near the way we should given the population.  But mainly IU needs to be up here so as to not miss out on kids 3, 5, and 10 from now in case boys BB bounces back.

I just find it hard to reconcile using resources there when other areas are more fruitful. Again, football needs more of a footprint there, but even then... OSU, ND, and UM are going to get theirs. 

26 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I just find it hard to reconcile using resources there when other areas are more fruitful. Again, football needs more of a footprint there, but even then... OSU, ND, and UM are going to get theirs. 

Yet, every year there is an event at Huber Winery, which according to the map is surrounded by a bunch of podunk towns that we've never drawn recruits from, and Louisville which we don't recruit from.

8 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

Yet, every year there is an event at Huber Winery, which according to the map is surrounded by a bunch of podunk towns that we've never drawn recruits from, and Louisville which we don't recruit from.

Lol--- Trey Kaufmann-Renn? Jeffersonville? Romeo Langford? New Albany? Floyd Central? Silver Creek? 

Have you not been to Hubers? 

I'd much prefer to recruit Louisville, than Fort Wayne. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Lol--- Trey Kaufmann-Renn? Jeffersonville? Romeo Langford? New Albany? Floyd Central? Silver Creek? 

Have you not been to Hubers? 

Nope...and none of those towns have nearly the population of the metro FW area. Romeo is the only kid of the recent past that has come to IU. How much has been spent/wasted in the past 10 years with only one guy to show for it?

Listen, I get it. There's always been a definite slant to these boards from Indianapolis on south.  I would venture to guess that the majority of posters are from those geographic regions. My whole point has been that the program continues to do itself a disservice by ignoring northern Indiana. The appearance is that they are essentially conceding that they can't compete with Purdue for recruits up here, and that is sickening to me.

1 minute ago, steubenhoosier said:

Nope...and none of those towns have nearly the population of the metro FW area. Romeo is the only kid of the recent past that has come to IU. How much has been spent/wasted in the past 10 years with only one guy to show for it?

Listen, I get it. There's always been a definite slant to these boards from Indianapolis on south.  I would venture to guess that the majority of posters are from those geographic regions. My whole point has been that the program continues to do itself a disservice by ignoring northern Indiana. The appearance is that they are essentially conceding that they can't compete with Purdue for recruits up here, and that is sickening to me.

Right, I understand your point, I just don't agree, all that population and not enough talent in basketball to warrant more time spent up there. 

How much time is wasted? very little. I don't see any disservice, I see going about it the right way. 

Miller and Mike Davis not recruiting Goode and Harangody was stupid though. Those two would have been in the bag as quickly as Crean got Hulls. 

-----------------------------

The complaints about Hubers are wild though. The nice part about having something at Hubers--- even Evansville has access to it with 64. 

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

77 miles from Bloomington to Hubers and some of the prettiest driving you'll find... 

177 miles from Bloomington to Fort Wayne --- have to drive through Indy...

I can't imagine why they elect to hold events at Hubers. 

Don't care if they hold events at Hubers or not. Hopefully, the esthetics of the drive is not a major reason for doing events there. If they want to spend much money there with little return, that's their perogative.

They will never have a chance at the talent that is produced up here without developing a presence. They could have had Furst, had Archie not ignored him. By many opinions on here, he would have been a solution to the backup 4-5 role we are currently trying to fill.

6 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

Don't care if they hold events at Hubers or not. Hopefully, the esthetics of the drive is not a major reason for doing events there. If they want to spend much money there with little return, that's their perogative.

They will never have a chance at the talent that is produced up here without developing a presence. They could have had Furst, had Archie not ignored him. By many opinions on here, he would have been a solution to the backup 4-5 role we are currently trying to fill.

I'd prefer to spend time in other areas with more talent. That's all. 

There are 10000000 players in college as talented/useful as Furst. We are better off doubling our time with MIC schools, Hamilton Co schools, and others in that area. 

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'd prefer to spend time in other areas with more talent. That's all. 

There are 10000000 players in college as talented/useful as Furst. 

None of whom are on our roster, and we are now trying to fill that hole with guys who have not played against nearly the competition Furst has. 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't really care whether or not guys like Furst end up on our roster. He isn't very good. 

Yes, he isn’t very good but I think he would be a better backup to Ballo than what we have now and he might be better than Hatton.

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't really care whether or not guys like Furst end up on our roster. He isn't very good. 

As I said, there have been many other opinions here that think he would have been a great solution to the need for another big.

Just now, IUFAN1976 said:

Yes, he isn’t very good but I think he would be a better backup to Ballo than what we have now and he might be better than Hatton.

So spend more time in FW because 4 years into college there's a player that might develop into a decent backup 5? I'll pass. That's the context of the discussion. 

Guess where Hatton is from? Hubers country lol 

Just now, btownqb said:

So spend more time in FW because 4 years into college there's a player that might develop into a decent backup 5? I'll pass. That's the context of the discussion. 

Guess where Hatton is from? Hubers country lol 

I still would rather have Furst over Hatton but now I get what this discussion is about. Just call Batina Butt-In, lol.  

1 minute ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I still would rather have Furst over Hatton but now I get what this discussion is about. Just call Batina Butt-In, lol.  

I don't really want either of them, it's confusing to me to use Furst as an example, though. He isn't a very good one. 

DeShaun Thomas good example.