Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

11 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Matt Norlander--

Potential preseason First Team All-American squad:

• Oscar Tshiebwe
  • Drew Timme
  • Armando Bacot
  • Trayce Jackson-Davis
  • Marcus Sasser

Didn't the 1st, 2nd, 3rd teams used to resemble a starting lineup? 

Didn't the 1st, 2nd, 3rd teams used to resemble a starting lineup? 

Everyone has different opinions on this, but yeah, generally it does.

This year may be an aberration with so many highly touted bigs returning. I’m ok with rewarding the best players regardless of position.

Can’t deny Timme, Oscar, Bacot. TJD could be outside looking in if you grab 2 guards.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

^^ Yeah I think they'll stay with the lineup - type approach, for the 'teams' - TJD has the chance regardless to make that step up from his already largely dominant play by adding in that jumper / shot we keep hearing about. If he does and does it effectively, I'd bank on his slotting in the first team.

Whether all-American or all-_____ team lineups are playable is usually a function of voting requirements. So if the AP all-American ballot just asks voters for POY, 4 other first-teammers, then ten players for 2nd/3rd, the results can lead to 4 PFs and 1 G.

I don’t believe most college awards require voters to select based on position, so for example Dickinson, Edey, and TJD we’re all on the B1G 2nd team because they received between 6th and 10th most points.

By contrast the NBA requires voting by position for all-league teams. Thus, for example, Joel Embiid was on the second team despite finishing top 3 in mvp voting.

2 hours ago, lillurk said:

Whether all-American or all-_____ team lineups are playable is usually a function of voting requirements. So if the AP all-American ballot just asks voters for POY, 4 other first-teammers, then ten players for 2nd/3rd, the results can lead to 4 PFs and 1 G.

I don’t believe most college awards require voters to select based on position, so for example Dickinson, Edey, and TJD we’re all on the B1G 2nd team because they received between 6th and 10th most points.

By contrast the NBA requires voting by position for all-league teams. Thus, for example, Joel Embiid was on the second team despite finishing top 3 in mvp voting.

Before Game 1 of the Finals the other night, Adam Silver discussed changing to the All-NBA Team to better reflect positionless basketball. 

So, they could be getting rid of the positional requirements soon. 

28 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Before Game 1 of the Finals the other night, Adam Silver discussed changing to the All-NBA Team to better reflect positionless basketball. 

Yes, glad you mentioned this. I was getting long-winded already :)

On 6/4/2022 at 10:35 AM, BGleas said:

It's kinda crazy to look at the NBA and college... As the NBA looks to say bye to the center... College basketball will have TJD, Bacot, Time, Oscar, Dickinson, Lively and others... A good chunk of the best players in the nation will be playing center. 

4 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

It's kinda crazy to look at the NBA and college... As the NBA looks to say bye to the center... College basketball will have TJD, Bacot, Time, Oscar, Dickinson, Lively and others... A good chunk of the best players in the nation will be playing center. 

And they will likely be some of the best teams in large part because of that.  Interesting....

37 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Yeah, I think those things go hand in hand. Without as much room for true centers in the NBA, more are staying in college. Its a weird dynamic because it just makes the difference between NBA and college that much wider. 

20 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, I think those things go hand in hand. Without as much room for true centers in the NBA, more are staying in college. Its a weird dynamic because it just makes the difference between NBA and college that much wider. 

There’s just not enough NBA centers for college coaches to alter their systems to accommodate a merging of the styles.    I like it.  I don’t often watch NBA but I think it’s good they are different 

3 hours ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

That is a good thing

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Agreed, I watched a little of Game 1 of the Finals. It's drive and kick, drive and kick, drive and kick. Obviously very skilled and talented players and they scored lots of points....and still managed to be kinda boring to watch. 

41 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Agreed, I watched a little of Game 1 of the Finals. It's drive and kick, drive and kick, drive and kick. Obviously very skilled and talented players and they scored lots of points....and still managed to be kinda boring to watch. 

Golden State is definitely more than just drive and kick. A lot more. Ton of off ball screen actions for Curry and Thompson and even Poole.