Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Then they've both kind of put themselves in a zero tolerance policy situation. We've seen that movie play out before. 

Again, not disagreeing with him, just no need to make this stuff public. Potentially does more harm than good. 

I've never been a fan of the "line in the sand" approach. Rules usually demand specific consequences when broken and that isn't always a good thing. Guidelines, on the other hand, allow for some discretion based on context. When working with young people especially, that can be a good thing.

SIAP - Haven't gone back to see if these same TJD comments from the HT story were posted in one of the above linked stories. A number of interesting statements from TJD 

IU basketball: Trayce Jackson-Davis talks about return for senior year (heraldtimesonline.com)

They include

- "Last year, we had two teams, the starting five and the bench. We played against each other and we would never switch up the teams. The starting five and the bench players would play together. I think that's huge for us, to get our team chemistry better."

- "I wouldn't consider the NIL to be a big reason why I stayed, even though there is probably going to be money there and opportunity there, which I'm blessed to be in that situation. Obviously I'm going to use it to my advantage, but I'm here to play basketball and finish my degree."

- "This is the way coach Woodson explained it to me: He said last year, I was so dominant on the low block I didn't really need to do that [shoot from outside]. I'm still going to have dominance. I'm not going to just utterly forget about that. The biggest thing for me is just adding just a few jump shots here and there to my game. He said I have to shoot four or five jump shots a game and I'm still going to have 10 to 12 under the rim."

"When I was out in California, I was getting trained like a guard. Ball-handling, shooting, reading movements off the dribble. Catch-and-shoot. It was a lot of 2-on-2, 3-on-3. Things of that nature to really help work on your outside game. It's all of those components that are really going to help me in the future."

"The feedback I got from the GMs, they said I was going to get drafted. They said anywhere from the beginning to late second round. The way that I would boost my stock is to show out at the combine, show I could shoot the ball, things of that nature. Defensive matchups, showing I could guard big guys but switching out and guarding the perimeter...."

'I think this is the best team that I've been on since I've been here. It's not even the sense that — it's the talent that we have. We have talent all across the board from the guards all the way down to the centers. We have dudes that care about the program, are here for the right things. I think the big thing that we didn't have last year that we have this year is our team chemistry. Last year we had three guys come in and start for us that we didn't know, like we never played with them. We had to build our chemistry over the summer. Having a full year of experience with them and then adding two, three, or four freshmen in, I think it's going to be huge for us. I think the ceiling for our team is anywhere from Big Ten championship to national championship, if I'm going to be honest with you. I set my standards high."

"Yeah, so even with the G League, the only way — there's players in the G League now that are still on guaranteed contracts. So if I had to go develop in the G League, I wouldn't mind doing that as long as I was guaranteed a contract. So that was my big thing. If I was guaranteed a contract in the second round, then I would have stayed in the draft, but that's not what happened. I didn't think that's what was going to happen. So I felt like coming back to school was the best option. We didn't really talk about NIL or any of those types of deals. I know the money's out there, but we're just going to play it by ear and see what happens. So it was really more of a — it was a guaranteed contract. I could have played in the G League. I would have been fine with that if it was for my development purposes."

I believe some of this was said when the NW suspensions occurred but it didn’t tow the company line so we had ‘not fan’ fans.

Awesome that he wanted to own this. Agree with BGleas, there’s stuff that you keep in the locker room and ways you make stuff public.

“We should have had better chemistry last season. I’ve corrected that moving forward and I’m taking ownership of it”

The people that need to know what that statement means have already been addressed. The ones that left the program know too. We continue to talk in the off-season. We need to show action. TJD needs to be a better leader. It’s not natural for him.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Kind of disappointed in some posts in this thread. Iu basketball is done with being lazy doing drugs and disrespecting what it means to play for this team. I agree and put everyone current and future on notice.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Kind of disappointed in some posts in this thread. Iu basketball is done with being lazy doing drugs and disrespecting what it means to play for this team. I agree and put everyone current and future on notice.

Eh, I mean I doubt we’re talking about hardcore drugs. Some of the most successful NBA players smoke weed. I’m pretty anti-weed, but it’s not really that different from players going out drinking during the season. Ideally they wouldn’t do that either, but college kids will be college kids. There’s just no upside to saying this publicly. 

3 hours ago, DWB said:

I guess I'm taking the flip side of that record. I'm glad he said no more strikes, or whatever it was. You F-up and you're sitting/gone. Now, maybe he did go into a little more detail than he should have, but then again....maybe not. I"m pretty tired of everybody walking egg shells in order to keep from hurting the snowflakes feelings. It's about time that guys that mess up get called out for it...publicly. (IMO)

Now the whole Hoosier Nation knows he's out to win it. And it's either get on my train, or move the hell out of the way. And with all of the depth on the bench, as many have said, there may be no let down when subs come in.

I thought his tone (more so than his words) said volumes about his intent and goals this year. 

What do you gain from saying this publicly as opposed to just telling your teammates?

Eh, I mean I doubt we’re talking about hardcore drugs. Some of the most successful NBA players smoke weed. I’m pretty anti-weed, but it’s not really that different from players going out drinking during the season. Ideally they wouldn’t do that either, but college kids will be college kids. There’s just no upside to saying this publicly. 
If coach Woodson and iu says smoke weed then have at it. Until then follow the rules! Period. Goes for curfew drinking and any other activities that are distracting and violate team rules. That's just me but sacrificing a bit of your life to follow rules shouldn't be a big deal. It's called being responsible a good lesson to learn. Once graduated and depending on your state laws and job rules have at it. In the real world you get fired if company policy is no drugs.

8 hours ago, BGleas said:

There's just stuff that is better kept in-house. He's kind of painted himself and Woodson into a corner a bit. 

Again, I don’t disagree with him, I just think it mistake to air that stuff publicly. He can make all those points crystal clear in the locker room. His wording publicly was not great IMO. 

He's probably tired of every IU team he has been on being derailed, in part, by drug use in some form. I'm not so sure coach Woodson will be side-eyeing him...

46 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

As someone who hasn't ever smoked it, I would not say I'm anti-weed.  Probably a better vice for kids to have than binge drinking.

In terms of TJD saying it publicly, I don't see much upside either....but I don't see much downside either.  

The biggest head scratcher of all of this is that Woodson platooned starters vs bench all season and didn’t tinker with matchup changes in practice to EITHER FIND A BETTER LINEUP AND/OR IMPROVE TEAM CHEMISTRY.  Completely bonkers strategy.  Matches what we saw on the court but it’s remarkably unbelievable.   EVEN IF 5 guys were guaranteed starter spots, mix and match and find your best squad.  Aaaaaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhh
Yes would love to know the reason why but we probably never will. I hate promising someone a starting spot that should never happen at iu. The player should be confident in his ability but ultimately what happens in practice and in games should ultimately be the deciding factors on lineups. We're probably to old school but this is high level basketball and the best possible lineup to win should always be priority 1 imo

2 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

I believe some of this was said when the NW suspensions occurred but it didn’t tow the company line so we had ‘not fan’ fans.

Awesome that he wanted to own this. Agree with BGleas, there’s stuff that you keep in the locker room and ways you make stuff public.

“We should have had better chemistry last season. I’ve corrected that moving forward and I’m taking ownership of it”

The people that need to know what that statement means have already been addressed. The ones that left the program know too. We continue to talk in the off-season. We need to show action. TJD needs to be a better leader. It’s not natural for him.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

One thing I will say is that from what I've heard is that the first time there was an issue with players skipping curfew, it was kept behind closed doors.  I'm not sure how that could have been done if there were repeat offenders and players that didn't own up to it when confronted.

12 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Yes would love to know the reason why but we probably never will. I hate promising someone a starting spot that should never happen at iu. The player should be confident in his ability but ultimately what happens in practice and in games should ultimately be the deciding factors on lineups. We're probably to old school but this is high level basketball and the best possible lineup to win should always be priority 1 imo

MY GUESS is strategically Woodson figured if they practiced together as a unit all Season they would greatly improve their efficiency together on the court.  

The fallacy here is what if that was never your best lineup?  Other lineups play during the games too, or at least they should. This would fully explain why he tried to do the hockey lineup thing.  And I HATE it for all the reasons. 

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

The biggest head scratcher of all of this is that Woodson platooned starters vs bench all season and didn’t tinker with matchup changes in practice to EITHER FIND A BETTER LINEUP AND/OR IMPROVE TEAM CHEMISTRY.  Completely bonkers strategy.  Matches what we saw on the court but it’s remarkably unbelievable.   EVEN IF 5 guys were guaranteed starter spots, mix and match and find your best squad.  Aaaaaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhh

Yeah and the quote in my post above by TJD about the set lineups in practice i’m sure has a typo — the word “would” is “should”. He’s talking about how guys should play with each other for chemistry etc. 

I wondered all season why Woodson insisted on playing / starting Parker and Kopp together, no matter what. I do hope Woodson gets out of that fixed lineup mindset, it’s not a good plan, period