Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IU Baseball @ Iowa - May 19-21, 2022

I think unless I am completely off, IU punches ticket to Omaha tomorrow despite another embarrassment unless Hoosiers, Nebraska, Maryland, and Minnesota all lose tomorrow.

18 hours ago, Aaron said:

I think unless I am completely off, IU punches ticket to Omaha tomorrow despite another embarrassment unless Hoosiers, Nebraska, Maryland, and Minnesota all lose tomorrow.

Nebraska barely held on to beat Michigan State 10-9 and according to Austin Render, the Nebraska win assures us of a spot in the B1G tournament regardless of the outcome of tonight's game vs. Iowa.

Tonight's game will be televised on ESPNU with a 9:00 ET start.

On 5/20/2022 at 10:30 AM, TheWatShot said:

This pitching staff is hilariously bad. Mercer has to find a way to fix this in the offseason. It could cost him his job if he doesn't. 

This is the third time this season we scored 14 or more runs in a game and still lost. Just inexcusable for Big Ten pitchers to be this bad. 

Mercer has failed. 

Wow, we officially clinch a spot in the B10 Tournament. Nebraska fends off MSU in a late MSU comeback. IU can be the 6 seed in the tournament with a win, or 8 seed with a loss today. I did not expect this at all in the beginning of the B10 play, but here we are.

18 hours ago, Aaron said:

Howd this happen? Lol

You want incentive? A win tonight and IU faces Illinois instead of Maryland who is a much better matchup. IU can easily outscore Illinois as both Hoosiers and Illini have awful pitching and good hitting. IU did just that when they won the series in Bloomington.

Iowa is locked into the four seed for Omaha but a bubble team for the NCAA Tournament so they want to win as well to try to get a bid.

IU fell 2-1 in the final game of the series in one of the best games the Hoosiers have been a part of this year and played their hearts out.

As the eight seed facing Maryland is not ideal and you have almost zero chance in that game. The good news is assuming you go into the losers bracket you will very likely face Michigan and Illinois back to back in either order. IU won the series against both these teams by outscoring them which is not at all hard as both teams are the Hoosier's mirror image with good hitting and awful pitching. IU will need a bunch of runs, but winning back to back games something like 12-10 is very possible against these teams and essentially what IU did against both of them this season. I would say it is 0% chance you win first game but getting to the semi's Saturday is probably 50-50 as winning back to back games against the Wolverines and Illini in the losers bracket in some order is very doable although far from guaranteed as both games are toss-ups.   

Getting to Friday or Saturday would end the season on a very positive note.