Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IU Baseball @ Iowa - May 19-21, 2022

NOTE:  This is a Thursday - Saturday series.

The final regular season weekend has arrived, and the Indiana baseball program will look to secure its spot in the upcoming Big Ten Tournament against Iowa. The Hoosiers and Hawkeyes will meet for a Thursday-Sunday series at Duane Banks Field in Iowa City.

Indiana (25-27, 10-11 B1G) is among six Big Ten teams entering the weekend with a chance to secure one four slots at the Big Ten Tournament, which begins next weekend in Omaha, Nebraska. Iowa (30-17, 14-7 B1G) has already secured its spot in the conference postseason and is looking to lock up a top three seed in its final home series of the season.

Gameday Info

Thursday, May 19, 2022
IU: Braydon Tucker, RHP, Sr.
UI: Adam Mazur, RHP, R-So.

Live Video: bit.ly/38CsMnM
Live Audio: bit.ly/IUAudio
Live Stats: bit.ly/IUStatbroadcast

Friday, May 20, 2022
IU: Jack Perkins, RHP, R-Jr.
UI: Dylan Nedved, RHP, R-Sr.

Live Video: bit.ly/3Msm81X

Saturday, May 21, 2022
IU: TBA
UI: Ty Langenberg, RHP, So.

Live Video: es.pn/3a3q76R

Scouting the Opponents

• Iowa enters with a 30-17 overall record and are tied for third in the Big Ten at 14-7 entering the weekend.
  • The Hawkeyes are led by a pitching staff that owns the best ERA (3.46), lowest batting average against (.203) and has the most strikeouts (534) in the conference.
  • Offensively, Peyton Williams and Keaton Anthony lead the way. The two are the only two everyday hitters to carry a .300 batting average.
  • Williams leads the way with a .367 average, 49 runs scored and 12 home runs.
  • Anthony is hitting .360 and leads the team with 20 doubles and 48 RBIs, while his 11 home runs are second on the squad.
  • The starting rotation of Adam Mazur, Dylan Nedved and Ty Langenberg are a combined 17-6 on the mound in 27 starts.
  • The backend of the bullpen has featured a multitude of arms, as seven different Hawkeye pitchers have earned at least one save this season.

It's only the 2nd inning but our Hoosiers have unleashed the big bats.  We got 2-run HRs each from Jessee and Glasser in the 1st and a 3-run HR in the 2nd from Mathison followed later in the inning by a 2-run double by Ellis .  Hawkeyes did get 2 of their own in the bottom of the 1st but we do have an early 9-2 lead.  Brayden Tucker on the mound.

We're going to need every one of those 13 runs and maybe more before the night is over.  Hawkeyes score 10 in the 4th and it's 13-12.  Holderfield relieved Tucker and was hit hard and in turn relieved by Stahl.  Together they gave up 8 hits and 10 runs.  Iowa with 3 HRs in its 4th off our relief pitchers.  Hayden takes the mound and puts the first 2 batters he faces on base with a walk and a HBP but gets out of the  inning with no further damage.

We've scored 13 runs and we're clinging to a thread.  Ugh!

IU had their most embarrassing game in school history and lost 30-16.

However, seemingly no one in the conference could pitch tonight and everyone below IU lost so magic number to clinch a spot in conference tourney is down to one.

Glant needs to be fired after season and has ruined IU's pitching pretty much on his own, but an impressive rally to close season and not quit with chips down.

Hopefully, with a new pitching coach and the portal, IU can get back to where they were in 2008-2019 next year. The hitting is very much there and I think the pitchers have the talent and stuff do be good and with a staff change it will be fine.

Think of Glant as Mike DeBord. One he left IU's offense instantly got better. I think same will happen with pitching once the pitching coach is changed.

@Aaron I'm genuinely interested in your take on what Glant's done that's seemingly made our pitching staff so ineffective for most of the season.  Did he change deliveries, try to make them throw different pitches?    The best ERA is over 4.0 and that's Bothwell at 4.01.  And Bothwell and Perkins are the only pitchers under an ERA of 5.  And yes, I fully agree last night was a total embarassment. 

This pitching staff is hilariously bad. Mercer has to find a way to fix this in the offseason. It could cost him his job if he doesn't. 

This is the third time this season we scored 14 or more runs in a game and still lost. Just inexcusable for Big Ten pitchers to be this bad. 

3 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

@Aaron I'm genuinely interested in your take on what Glant's done that's seemingly made our pitching staff so ineffective for most of the season.  Did he change deliveries, try to make them throw different pitches?    The best ERA is over 4.0 and that's Bothwell at 4.01.  And Bothwell and Perkins are the only pitchers under an ERA of 5.  And yes, I fully agree last night was a total embarassment. 

Yes my understanding is he tried to toy with their mechanics when he came in but I could very much be wrong on that.

It hasn’t worked and messing with something that was working (assuming it’s true) should be a one-way ticket out of town for him. 

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

I don't really see anything costing Mercer his job. 

Mercer should not lose his job. He has done nice job rallying team late season. Dustin Glant on other hand has to either change his ways or be fired. 

1 minute ago, Aaron said:

Mercer should not lose his job. He has done nice job rallying team late season. Dustin Glant on other hand has to either change his ways or be fired. 

100% 

Year 1- championship 

Year 2 (covid)- we were damn good, absolutely finishing top 3 in the B1G 

Year 3- struggled at the end, I think we can all recognize that was a veryy funky year, but still finished 4th. 

Year- ultra young team, replaced pitching coach..  Not having TJ White and Ben Hess hurt. Still can easily finish 6th or 7th. 

We need to trend up next year and no set backs, but we didn't just become a shitty program or anything of that nature.  

Ryan Gilbert hasn't even had an AB yet. 

5 hours ago, btownqb said:

Just play well the next two days. We're fine. 

1 W gets us in the tourney. Literally. 

Admittedly not a numbers guy for this, but what if and Purdue both lost the last 2?