Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Draft Combine 2022

50 minutes ago, jbeaman9 said:

Inside the Hall twitter just replied to someone and said that typically guys projected in the lottery or the first round do not play in the 5v5, so who knows!

What Inside the Hall said is absolutely true.

TJD having gotten an invite to the five versus five play is not necessarily a positive.

6 minutes ago, FightFor6 said:

Is the Sharpe kid participating in 5v5? I would assume no, but he's the one guy that I'm sure everyone is dying to see outside of a 1/4 speed lay-up line.

I’d be very surprised if his agent advises him to participate for fear of possibly being exposed. There would be very little upside to his participation but a fair amount of potential downside.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

TJD having gotten an invite to the five versus five play is not necessarily a positive.

It is basically a positive -- he hasn't ever been considered a likely first-rounder, but getting selected reflects interest.

4 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Positive in terms of him returning or not returning?

Anyway, looking at some of the players who got invites to the five-on-five, I wouldn't say it says all that much.  Kofi Cockburn got an invite and he's not in most mocks I've seen.  Trevion Williams is a border end of second round/undrafted player and he got a five-on-five invite.  

21 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Positive in terms of him returning or not returning?

Anyway, looking at some of the players who got invites to the five-on-five, I wouldn't say it says all that much.  Kofi Cockburn got an invite and he's not in most mocks I've seen.  Trevion Williams is a border end of second round/undrafted player and he got a five-on-five invite.  

Yeah, it means he's at least on the radar for teams, but not sure it necessarily means much more than that. 

You ever have those situations where you expect something to happen, but your brain convinces you the exact opposite will happen?  That's where I am at with TJD.  I fully expect him to return to IU.  Every indicator points that way and I can't come up with one single thing to cause me to believe otherwise.  I expect him to come back.  Yet, my brain is hard selling the opposite.  

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

You ever have those situations where you expect something to happen, but your brain convinces you the exact opposite will happen?  That's where I am at with TJD.  I fully expect him to return to IU.  Every indicator points that way and I can't come up with one single thing to cause me to believe otherwise.  I expect him to come back.  Yet, my brain is hard selling the opposite.  

You've been conditioned over the last couple of decades of IU being a bad team more often than not and then when they have a chance to be good something goes wrong. IU with TJD next year could be a really good team. IU without TJD has many more questions but probably wouldn't be as good as with him. So the bad thing that could happen right now is TJD not coming back so your brain is telling you that so that you'll be less surprised/disappointed if he actually doesn't even though most signs point to him coming back.

That's my take.

He’s coming back.  Him not participating is a sign that he is.  He may do a couple individual team workouts but it probably won’t be enough for him to get drafted where he thinks he wants to be drafted

5 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

It is basically a positive -- he hasn't ever been considered a likely first-rounder, but getting selected reflects interest.

I could be wrong but he may not have gotten selected because he has COVID 

6 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

There should be interest, he has skills. But I think the problem are that his primary skills are all near the basket, which is basketball 15 yrs ago. It is pretty simple, to be an NBA player today, he has to expand his game by 5 to 10 ft minimum. Now whether he does that at IU or somewhere else is the big question we are concerned with.

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I get it. I think he thought he would take a bigger leap this last season. Not sure why he didn't expand his game. Maybe he doesn't have it in him, maybe he needs a push. I hope he returns to IU, but he doesn't seem the type to try and force a game he doesn't possess for personal gain to the detriment of the team.  Kind of a tough spot for a 6'9" guy that wants to play in the NBA, but  may not be able to stretch his game to the three point line.

8 hours ago, DChoosier said:

I’d be very surprised if his agent advises him to participate for fear of possibly being exposed. There would be very little upside to his participation but a fair amount of potential downside.

This has clearly been his MO for the whole year.  It may make sense in theory, but I would have a hard time drafting a guy who didn't have enough confidence in himself to go out and play.

If we go by what he had said prior -- that if he didn't feel he would be a top 35 pick, he likely would withdraw from the draft -- then I think you should feel that he is coming back.  I don't feel he's in that range and doesn't have the ability to move up in the five on fives.

50 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

I get it. I think he thought he would take a bigger leap this last season. Not sure why he didn't expand his game. Maybe he doesn't have it in him, maybe he needs a push. I hope he returns to IU, but he doesn't seem the type to try and force a game he doesn't possess for personal gain to the detriment of the team.  Kind of a tough spot for a 6'9" guy that wants to play in the NBA, but  may not be able to stretch his game to the three point line.

Part of what you say has been where my mind has been and probably totally over thinking it. In so many games, we were +/- 2,3,4 points of the opponent. With the game being that close, possibly TJD's mind was thinking, I KNOW I can go get 2 pts down low and help the team, or I MIGHT be able to get 2-3 points further out. "I" should go get a bucket down low.

Like  said, I'm probably over thinking it.

24 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

It's not just raining on TJD's combine experience, it's pouring buckets.  This from Rabjohns --

Trayce Jackson-Davis' interviews with individual NBA teams scheduled for today have been cancelled, multiple sources tell http://Peegs.com.

That reads like "cancelled for today," not cancelled in their entirety.