Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2023) - SG Jamie Kaiser Jr. to Maryland

If a "down" year consists of a Cupps, Newton, and possibly Page, then count me in! Give me 4 years of Gabe Cupps in this system, over any one and done 5☆ pg! This kid alone, will attract talent to want to play alongside him. I believe we are underselling the impact he will have. Not saying he's the next Steve Nash, but he's a WINNER! 

Edited by J34

20 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I was not as high on any of our targets in 23 as the forum here. I like Page a lot. I like Newtons athleticism but wanted to see him perform in AAU. Kaiser and DHS seemed like good potential additions but neither one were guys I’d expect big year 1 contributions.

So for me, it’s not so much who we’ve missed, but also our targets were less than I’d hoped for. I’ve looked over the 2023 class, we’ve shot our shot with some decent/good guys but there isn’t a whole lot left out there to make a big splash with. Powers would have been nice. KJ Evans seemed nice.

But, yes, the optimistic side of things is we can offer a lot in the transfer portal and hopefully/maybe that’s the silver lining.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Malik and Tamar both came after the season ended because of coaching changes. Those type players will open up their recruitment next April as well.

On 8/4/2022 at 11:03 PM, Stuhoo said:

Lowering expectations because we may not get Jamie Kaiser and DeShawn Harris-Smith, both of whom we didn’t know we were wanting just a few months ago?

Im not an optimist—I’m a realist. You didn’t ever see me saying that we were likely to get either of those players

I did say we seem to have a plan of priority recruits or portal, and so far we have two players we prioritized. I do think that we’ll end up with four very good players to fill out the 2023 roster. If that makes me an eternal optimist…so be it.

You couldn't be more of a sunshine pumper if you had a diesel powered pumping machine.  But we need that here, so good for you.

I agree with the rest of your post completely. 

17 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I am a very happy person I must say 

diesel-3_lg.jpg

I rather look at things on the positive light over seeing everything in a negative light.  There are so many guys on message boards that are only negative on everything and will never post when things are going good.

27 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I rather look at things on the positive light over seeing everything in a negative light.  There are so many guys on message boards that are only negative on everything and will never post when things are going good.

I'm glad that works for your psyche.  I'm also glad to have that type here because there are a lot of the opposite.

I just find it funny when people who are only positive or only negative think they're a realist.  In reality there is good and bad.  Seeing both is what a true realist is.

I'm glad that works for your psyche.  I'm also glad to have that type here because there are a lot of the opposite.
I just find it funny when people who are only positive or only negative think they're a realist.  In reality there is good and bad.  Seeing both is what a true realist is.

Word!

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

15 hours ago, Josh said:

I don't know.  Why does there necessarily always have to be "bad?"  If everything is good and you're looking for bad, are you actually a realist?  If we don't get a certain recruit, is that actually "bad," or do people "realistically" believe we'll get every recruit we offer?

If we already had shooters, then absolutely I would take a kid like Carr all day long. But if he doesn't fill a position of need, then we go through another season of complaining about kids who can't shoot from three. For the first time in a long time, we are targeting kids who complement the kids we already have. Maybe we get them, maybe we don't. Regardless, there is no benefit in taking a player that has the same skill set we already have.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Never really noticed a "sunshine pumper" lol what a strange term. Someone that roots for their team in a healthy way is wrong. Smh

Nobody said that.  You're "shaking your head" at your own sentence, not something anybody else said

31 minutes ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

I don't know.  Why does there necessarily always have to be "bad?"  If everything is good and you're looking for bad, are you actually a realist?  If we don't get a certain recruit, is that actually "bad," or do people "realistically" believe we'll get every recruit we offer?

Yes, there is good and bad in everything.  If you cannot find the bad in something as big as Indiana basketball you're looking through rose colored glasses.  If you can't find the good in it, you have a prism of your own.  There is certainly highs and lows.  That's just being real.

40 minutes ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

Nobody bats 1.000.  But it comes down to winning and losing. Again, rarely is anyone undefeated. The margin of winning and losing can be very slim.  Program momentum, etc is gained and lost with every perceived win and loss on and off the court. The on-court results are the final judgement of the perceived wins and losses but the jurors are reading and over reading every play.

I don’t care too much about Kaiser or DHS, neither look like program changers. Both look like good players. The staff wanted one of them or both I’d imagine. Page is still on the table. Everything comes into judgment. If we get Page is that better than getting Booker?  If we miss DHS, Kaiser do we get a better player in the transfer portal?  Who knows, the on court results will eventually tell but prognosticators and fans spend all of season trying to guess. I care more about program momentum than the individual recruitments. 

We’ll see.