Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Disgusting.

If people want action I would recommend emailing Dolson with your concerns as the story is not gaining much traction given no one cares about the volleyball program rightly or wrongly. I certainly emailed. 

Always nice to find out that a bottom of the barrel in the conference program that's light years behind its competitors is being run by a complete a$$clown. Get rid of this guy ASAP. 

Sounds like he should get fired but I think the article was correct in why he hasn't been and why he probably won't be: 

"Because Indiana volleyball is a non-revenue sport, sources said they believe the university thinks paying for the buyout in Aird’s contract is too expensive.

The IDS obtained Aird’s contract, which runs through 2024. Aird will earn an average of $256,000 per year over the next three years. According to the contract, if Indiana were to fire Aird, the university would still owe Aird half his base salary through the end of his contract."

I don't think IU has ever really cared about volleyball and they continue to not care to the detriment of the young women this guy harms.

14 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

Sounds like he should get fired but I think the article was correct in why he hasn't been and why he probably won't be: 

"Because Indiana volleyball is a non-revenue sport, sources said they believe the university thinks paying for the buyout in Aird’s contract is too expensive.

The IDS obtained Aird’s contract, which runs through 2024. Aird will earn an average of $256,000 per year over the next three years. According to the contract, if Indiana were to fire Aird, the university would still owe Aird half his base salary through the end of his contract."

I don't think IU has ever really cared about volleyball and they continue to not care to the detriment of the young women this guy harms.

Nope -- fired with cause would very likely contractually negate the payout. Now, they have to build the case well enough to fire with cause, but this article will likely jumpstart that process.

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Nope -- fired with cause would very likely contractually negate the payout. Now, they have to build the case well enough to fire with cause, but this article will likely jumpstart that process.

Even if they have to pay in full, the dollar amount is a drop in the bucket to get rid of that whack job. 

1 hour ago, saddays said:

Devastated to read about these Hoosier women and the lack of support the Athletic Department is giving them.  Have the athletic department personnel not read about the three recent suicides of D1 women athletes (Stanford, Wisconsin and JMU)?  All very high profile athletes excelling at their sport AND in the classroom.  The pressures are real and intense, then add a coach who is mentally abusive is unacceptable.  This is a tragedy waiting to happen at IU!

Know also that this is not the only women's sport at IU with an abusive coach.  Athletic Department is also ignoring this issue as well.  

If this was a normal job outside of athletics (like in a school setting with a teacher), a complaint would have been taken to HR and the employee would have been put on leave while an investigation was done.  Imagine you as a female athlete practicing and playing your sport to hopefully obtain a spot on a Big 10 team, but when you get there your entire world is controlled by an abusive man with power over you, controlling your playing time, scholarship monies, and dictating your actions basically 24/7.  

Do better IU, protect our female Hoosiers!  Take a page from the University of Florida!  They ate a million dollars in salary to fire the women's soccer coach for many of the reasons listed when describing the IU Volleyball coach.  They stood up and protected their women athletes!  https://www.news4jax.com/sports/2022/04/27/florida-fires-womens-soccer-coach-tony-amato-after-1-season/

•  

Don't lob allegations of 'abusive coaches'  in other women's sports unless you have specific allegations. 

Also, the line between 'abuse' and hard coaching is hard to define especially with this generation of kids who feel entitled to everything. Clearly Aird has crossed it, but also sometimes in this day and age what today's kids think is 'abuse' is nothing more than hard coaching.

Can you imagine Knight trying to coach today. He would be fired for abuse in five minutes. Finding a line between hard coaching and abuse is tricky in this day in age with entitled kids. Clearly Aird has crossed it and needs to go but sometimes what we are calling 'abuse' now would of been hard coaching in previous generations. This century of kids is fragile which is why they have mental health issues so easily. 

Again not condoning anything Aird did and clearly he needs to go. However. a larger discussion of what is perceived as abuse needs to be had as life for coaches is getting harder and kids are fragile to any criticism lobbed at them.       

26 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Don't lob allegations of 'abusive coaches'  in other women's sports unless you have specific allegations. 

Also, the line between 'abuse' and hard coaching is hard to define especially with this generation of kids who feel entitled to everything. Clearly Aird has crossed it, but also sometimes in this day and age what today's kids think is 'abuse' is nothing more than hard coaching.

Can you imagine Knight trying to coach today. He would be fired for abuse in five minutes. Finding a line between hard coaching and abuse is tricky in this day in age with entitled kids. Clearly Aird has crossed it and needs to go but sometimes what we are calling 'abuse' now would of been hard coaching in previous generations. This century of kids is fragile which is why they have mental health issues so easily. 

Again not condoning anything Aird did and clearly he needs to go. However. a larger discussion of what is perceived as abuse needs to be had as life for coaches is getting harder and kids are fragile to any criticism lobbed at them.       

Or people have realized that you can be a great coach while also not being a total *** all the time. It’s not a matter of being “fragile.” Would any of us like a boss who just screams and yells all the time? I know I wouldn’t. Life is too short. You shouldn’t create a culture where the people working (or playing) under you dread coming in every day. That’s exactly the kind of culture that abusive managers create. 

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Or people have realized that you can be a great coach while also not being a total *** all the time. It’s not a matter of being “fragile.” Would any of us like a boss who just screams and yells all the time? I know I wouldn’t. Life is too short. You shouldn’t create a culture where the people working (or playing) under you dread coming in every day. That’s exactly the kind of culture that abusive managers create. 

I'm trying to think of an example of a current highly successful college basketball coach who is just an *** to his players all the time and I'm not coming up with any kind of list.  And the truth is that Knight's success basically boiled down to his ability X and O people to death much more than his form of 'discipline'.